Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of new routes at Cork airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Disgraceful that our transport minister does not give a fiddlers about Cork airport.
    I have to admire Michael Martins neck, considering that the board at Cork Airport which he appointed his buddies too, voted to accept that debt that his own party promised would not be saddled by Cork.
    I hope this US flight happens, the model of plane as suggested is capable but I have to wonder who has spare ones as the 757 is not made anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Can't see transatlantic flights happening with the airport in its current state. The Echo roll that headline out every now and then with little or no substance behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

"kub wrote: »
    I hope this US flight happens, the model of plane as suggested is capable but I have to wonder who has spare ones as the 757 is not made anymore.

Only a small percentage of 757's are used for T/A. If one of the big airlines from the States wanted to start a service, its very easy pull a 757 from Domestic operations.

Can a 757 take off fully loaded from Cork? If not, Chicago is ruled out and they may even struggle to make it to JFK/EWR on a windy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭thomil

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Can a 757 take off fully loaded from Cork? If not, Chicago is ruled out and they may even struggle to make it to JFK/EWR on a windy day.

I just did a bit of research on that.

According to Wikipedia, a Boeing 757-200 at MTOW(Maximum Take-Off Weight) requires a take-off distance of 1981 metres at sea level. The Irish Aviation Authority charts for Cork airport show that Runway 17/35 at the airport has an available take-off distance of 2133 metres. Thats 200 metres more than needed, a bit tight, but workable at MTOW.
    As far as the range aspect is concerned, a fully fuelled and loaded 757 has a range, again according to Wikipedia, of 7222 kilometres, or 7600 kilometres with winglets fitted. The Great Circle distance to New York JFK Airport is 5008 kilometres, while to Chicago O'Hare, it is 5842 kilometres. Boston would be 4708 kilometres.
    Of course, there are other aspects, namely weather, the jet stream, but also the engine type used, etc. However, going from the numbers above, it would be pretty workable, especially since the aircraft won't be at MTOW most of the time.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Excellent research there, 757 ' s have been regular visitors to Cork on summer charters to European resorts over the years. Just to throw into your mix also that Cork airport is just over 500 feet above sea level so that might be a consideration also but I am with you on your calculations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Can't see transatlantic flights happening with the airport in its current state. The Echo roll that headline out every now and then with little or no substance behind it.

Yeah this doesn't make any sense to me - if they can't flights in and out of Europe going then the US seems a no go!

I don't know the ins and outs regarding Cork Airport like others here but I find the current situation regarding Cork Airport baffling!

Yeah this doesn't make any sense to me - if they can't flights in and out of Europe going then the US seems a no go!

A common misconception is that if their is such a T/A market at Shannon, theres a simular or larger one at Cork. There isnt. Shannon has long term loyal T/A passengers and airlines (well airline). Yet Shannon could never get a grip on short haul traffic.

The mix of Shannon with the big T/A operations and a small short haul operation and Cork with the good european connections works best, it always has done and will continue to do so.

Eastern europe is woefully underserved from Cork, and that will change soon. Id keep my eyes open on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

As I have said many times before any one north of Cork City are more likely to go via SNN than ORK, the preclearence at SNN almost guarrentee's that.

Sorry about the poor spelling, have'nt to look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The Transport Minister is a dope of the highest order.

As it stands the imbalance for passenger numbers for the country as a whole is terrible for the economy.

Dublin - 21.7m
    Cork - 2.1m
    Shannon - 1.6m

Having the main airport over 10 times ahead is not right at all and any fool should see that.

Figures for other countries for 2014

Spain
    Madrid - 41.8m
    Barcelona - 37.5m
    Mallorca - 23.1m

Germany
    Frankfurt - 59.5m
    Munich - 39.7m
    Dusseldorf - 21.8m
    Berlin - 20.7m

Switzerland
    Zurich - 25.5m
    Geneva - 15.1m

Portugal
    Lisbon - 18.1m
    Porto - 6.9m
    Faro - 6.1m

Scotland
    Edinburgh - 10.1m
    Glasgow - 7.7m

I could go on,but my point being over 10 times ahead of your rivals is not good for economic spread.The way the DAA are keeping Cork down,Dublins figures are very artificial anyway.IMO,they should be around 18m with Cork around 6m yearly.

And to add, Frankfurt and Madrid are far bigger hubs than Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

QQ - why don't we own our own airport? How does the DAA own Cork airport? How did that come about?

QQ - why don't we own our own airport? How does the DAA own Cork airport? How did that come about?

Aer Rianta was founded to Run Shannon, Dublin and later Cork airports. In 2004 Aer Rianta was renamed the DAA with the intention of selling cork and shannon airports at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

IMO if a Transatlantic route came about it would be Westjet to St John/Toronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Only a small percentage of 757's are used for T/A. If one of the big airlines from the States wanted to start a service, its very easy pull a 757 from Domestic operations.

Cork can easily handle a 757 but I'd suggest it's more likely to be budget to Boston or New York that would bring in the traffic. Westjet would have no reason to fly from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Cork has been talking to airlines about a T/A for years, will never happen IMO. Nearest we came to a T/A was when Ryan International teamed up with a Tralee based Travel Agent and offered a twice weekly service starting in October. Was due to run until the following March, took bookings and everything including one from wife, then cancelled and refunded. It 2004/2005 AFAIR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

roundymac wrote: »
    Cork has been talking to airlines about a T/A for years, will never happen IMO. Nearest we came to a T/A was when Ryan International teamed up with a Tralee based Travel Agent and offered a twice weekly service starting in October. Was due to run until the following March, took bookings and everything including one from wife, then cancelled and refunded. It 2004/2005 AFAIR.

Your recall is good.

"Cork Airport came close to attracting a long-haul carrier when Slattery Travel announced it was starting twice- weekly flights from Cork to JFK airport in New York in October 2005. However soaring fuel costs forced the travel agency to scrap the plans."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

roundymac wrote: »

Gawd....was that 10 years ago?????? Where have the years gone? I remember that well......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

kub wrote: »
    Disgraceful that our transport minister does not give a fiddlers about Cork airport.
    I have to admire Michael Martins neck, considering that the board at Cork Airport which he appointed his buddies too, voted to accept that debt that his own party promised would not be saddled by Cork.

Look, a dose of reality, you have a Mid west (Shannon) Minister of Finance, and a Dublin Minister of Transport. Dublin wants to drive traffic through T2, to pay for it, while Shannon knows they'd be under serious pressure if Cork were free to fight its own corner. Something might happen if you had a Cork Taoiseach, or Cork influence in Transport & Finance.

Funny how a TA flight rears its head when there's a spotlight on how crap Cork is being treated ....

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

The big issue for Cork Airport and the future development of Cork (attracting inward investment, etc) is the massive state subsidy for Shannon Airport (€100 Million debt write off and annual rent roll from Shannon Development Properties).
    What are our politicians going to do to solve this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

rebs23 wrote: »
    The big issue for Cork Airport and the future development of Cork (attracting inward investment, etc) is the massive state subsidy for Shannon Airport (€100 Million debt write off and annual rent roll from Shannon Development Properties).
    What are our politicians going to do to solve this?

That was the point of my post, Coveney (and in reality it's only him) can't do much with a SNN supporting Finance minister and a DUB supporting Transport minister. Cork Airport are in a goosed position for now, which is disgraceful, as the other two pressure groups would be stupid to give Cork Airport a leg up, which would ultimately rebound on them if they did so. No reason not to keep fighting the fight though. We'll get there one day !

• Advertisement

New route to Ibiza! Good news for cork. Terrible departure times though

IBIZA – NOW DIRECT FROM CORK
    Starts 12th June – 21st September 2015
    Departs Cork 00:15 arrives Ibiza 03:50
    Departs Ibiza 04:40 arrives Cork 06:15
    Call now for details.

https://m.facebook.com/travelagent.ie?ref=hl#

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The departure times wouldn't bother me if the flights were cheap enough - also, not an expert on the aviation industry but I assume it's cheaper for the airlines to run at these times?

Given the clientelle headed to Ibiza, going out in Cork before popping to the airport wouldn't be an issue, similarly, staying out late enough in Ibiza then flying back to Cork and crawling back into bed will suit a few heads! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ah ffs. What numbnuts picked those times!!!!

Ibiza is marketed as a family holiday destination along with the clubbing crowd. Who travels with children at those hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

pwurple wrote: »
    Ah ffs. What numbnuts picked those times!!!!

Ibiza is marketed as a family holiday destination along with the clubbing crowd. Who travels with children at those hours?
    That time is really the San Antonio crowd if they want a full plane each week they better hope the families are keen on Ibiza.

It is being operated by CSA. They overnight an aircraft in cork on Thursdays and Sundays from next summer and they wanted to utilise it. Thats why those times are there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It is being operated by CSA. They overnight an aircraft in cork on Thursdays and Sundays from next summer and they wanted to utilise it. Thats why those times are there.

Cork is on the leftovers list when it comes to flights I guess. Bottom of the barrel. When it's left as an overnight aircraft parking spot, there might be some scraps of flights thrown.

>> Twelve months later. Gosh, what a surprise. I guess there's no demand for an Ibiza route from Cork as it's not full of families at flippen 3am. Let's scrap it.

pwurple wrote: »
    Cork is on the leftovers list when it comes to flights I guess. Bottom of the barrel. When it's left as an overnight aircraft parking spot, there might be some scraps of flights thrown.

>> Twelve months later. Gosh, what a surprise. I guess there's no demand for an Ibiza route from Cork as it's not full of families at flippen 3am. Let's scrap it.

They didn't have to introduce the Ibiza service at all! Sure it's not at the best times, but for the target audience its not that bad.

Personally I would be welcoming this new service to a struggling airport, but I suppose if you try you can take it as bad news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

People were moaning that theres no flights at cork and now a new one is announced and people are moaning that the times arent convenient. Its a hell of a lot handier than driving to dublin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Wz up there after work to met a friend for coffee before she flew back to the UK. For the two hours I wad there it was so quite embrassingly so. I felt sorry for the one working on the information desk she must be bored stupid. More european flights would be great loads of european working or in college here would be great for them to bring family and friends over for weekend visits etc. Also id love the belfast flights. Its one city that has developed so much as a tourist destination in the last number of yrs.couls be loads of traffic both ways on that route a lot of job creation in the north. So much potential not fulfilled **sighs**

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

.red. wrote: »
    People were moaning that theres no flights at cork and now a new one is announced and people are moaning that the times arent convenient. Its a hell of a lot handier than driving to dublin anyway.

I dont think all the leaving cert parties will care about the times :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement