Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of new routes at Cork airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Had a relative fly in from Lithuania last week to Shannon, have to drop them back now on Thursday.

2 days off work due to the times and it's a headwreck of a drive.
    Granted it was probably worse than usual due to roadworks at Buttevant, but I'll have them fly to Dublin in future

Oddly the road from Ennis to Limerick is fairly decent, but until they get something done with the Cork/Limerick road, Dublin is less hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Had a relative fly in from Lithuania last week to Shannon, have to drop them back now on Thursday.

2 days off work due to the times and it's a headwreck of a drive.
    Granted it was probably worse than usual due to roadworks at Buttevant, but I'll have them fly to Dublin in future

Oddly the road from Ennis to Limerick is fairly decent, but until they get something done with the Cork/Limerick road, Dublin is less hassle!

That's alot of the problem in ireland. Every road leads to Dublin. Its not good for anywhere outside of Dublin. Aure we need connectivity to our capital but we need it also inter-city, especially Limerick-Cork.

Buttevant has the worst roads in the country. Its as crumbly as a flake and theres more potholes on that section of road than there is manholes in the whole of cork.

If the M20 goes ahead, it will increase the Ryanair competition between Cork and Shannon without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Carnacalla wrote: »
    That's alot of the problem in ireland. Every road leads to Dublin. Its not good for anywhere outside of Dublin. Aure we need connectivity to our capital but we need it also inter-city, especially Limerick-Cork.

Buttevant has the worst roads in the country. Its as crumbly as a flake and theres more potholes on that section of road than there is manholes in the whole of cork.

If the M20 goes ahead, it will increase the Ryanair competition between Cork and Shannon without a doubt.
    An Tasice would'nt agree with you, they want people to use public transport, look what they are doing to the people of Dingle. Bertie said the one thing he regrets not doing when he was Taoiseach was scrapping An Tasice. For once I am in agreement with him.
    As for the flight times I remember back in the seventies/early eighties all charter flights were at these times, mainly because it was scheduled airlines that flew these routes at the end of the day. Made perfect sense as regards utilisatition of aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

D'Agger wrote: »
    The departure times wouldn't bother me if the flights were cheap enough - also, not an expert on the aviation industry but I assume it's cheaper for the airlines to run at these times?

Given the clientelle headed to Ibiza, going out in Cork before popping to the airport wouldn't be an issue, similarly, staying out late enough in Ibiza then flying back to Cork and crawling back into bed will suit a few heads! :pac:

BA started doing this in Edinburgh Airport last summer, ended up being really successful, let's face it the vast majority of folk going to Ibiza won't care about the times of the flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

.red. wrote: »
    People were moaning that theres no flights at cork and now a new one is announced and people are moaning that the times arent convenient. Its a hell of a lot handier than driving to dublin anyway.

We'll have to disagree on the handiness.

If there's a midday flight to a destination from an airport 2 hours drive away, I'd take it over a 3am flight every time. I value a night of sleep for a family with children quite highly. That's no way to start a holiday IMHO.

But, I understand that's not the same for everyone. Just giving my own perspective on why that particular flight may not be popular with a large enough segment of potential customers.

• Advertisement

Rumours of a 2x weekly service from Cork-Cardiff from September with Flybe.

Meanwhile the airport up the road who got all these amazing deals has 2 cities in the UK serviced. All I can say is fair play to cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

pwurple wrote: »
    We'll have to disagree on the handiness.

If there's a midday flight to a destination from an airport 2 hours drive away, I'd take it over a 3am flight every time. I value a night of sleep for a family with children quite highly. That's no way to start a holiday IMHO.

But, I understand that's not the same for everyone. Just giving my own perspective on why that particular flight may not be popular with a large enough segment of potential customers.
    Its going to be a one off season run for the Ibiza flight. Its a no go for families if you have kids then those inbound/outbound times are terrible bad enough getting them up and ready for early morning flights. People will travel to Dublin/Shannon if the flight times are good your wrong there. My point is the whole oh look we have a new route for Cork should mean a route that in terms of tourism is viable not some drink/junkie flight at the witching hour. And the Cardiff flight thats as we say could be another pissing in the wind one...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

In fairness though, do people with young kids realistically go to Ibiza on holidays? It wouldn't even cross my mind as somewhere to go with my kids. I don't think this is the market they are after.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Ludo wrote: »
    In fairness though, do people with young kids realistically go to Ibiza on holidays? It wouldn't even cross my mind as somewhere to go with my kids. I don't think this is the market they are after.

This is what I was thinking - somebody mentioned earlier it's marketed as a family destination also and I just kinda thought...fair enough, I won't question that, but honestly I've never heard of a family going to Ibiza - it's the main clubbers haven for Summer and a place that, I would imagine, isn't a place you'd look to holiday during the summer, especially with young children.
    Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Its going to be a one off season run for the Ibiza flight. Its a no go for families if you have kids then those inbound/outbound times are terrible bad enough getting them up and ready for early morning flights. People will travel to Dublin/Shannon if the flight times are good your wrong there. My point is the whole oh look we have a new route for Cork should mean a route that in terms of tourism is viable not some drink/junkie flight at the witching hour. And the Cardiff flight thats as we say could be another pissing in the wind one...

What's the solution then? As somebody pointed out, Cork needs more routes - now there's talk of two new routes and all we're hearing is it isn't good enough.

If Cork is in as much trouble as we think, then it's feeding off scraps - Cardiff & Ibiza are decent crumbs to be getting imo

Finally - while the Ibiza flight may not be sustainable and season based, what of it? You need sustained routes absolutely but Cork Airport is a business and if there's demand for the Ibiza 'junkie flights' :rolleyes: then Cork will profit from it. Ultimately you want to see Cork Airport doing business and giving itself a fighting chance of staying afloat. The addition of these two routes should be seen in a positive light imo

Lads, the entire internet is at your disposal... Look at any thomas cook website, falcon holidays, budget travel, cassidy travel. Ibiza is very much also a family destination, and markets itself as such.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ibiza+family+holiday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Lads, the entire internet is at your disposal... Look at any thomas cook website, falcon holidays, budget travel, cassidy travel. Ibiza is very much also a family destination, and markets itself as such.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ibiza+family+holiday
    I'd imagine Ludo was looking for the opinions of his peers on this thread rather than stats or google searches pwurple

If I googled it I'm sure Afghanistan markets itself as a family destination, what holiday destination doesn't. What I'm saying is this - I don't think I've ever heard of a family going to Ibiza, I've heard of plenty of friends in their mid twenties and teens going however. I'd be interested in hearing if those posting on this thread have similar experiences.

I'm sure there are families that go there, but I've tried googling stats on family holidays booked etc. and I can't find anything, so I'm still happy to assume that family holidays to the island make up a much lower percentage of overall holiday goers - during the summer season at least.

Lads, the entire internet is at your disposal...

Yes...yes it is. Which is why I wouldn't go to Ibiza on a family holiday. Plenty of other places to go. I'm sure people do...just I have never hear of anyone that I know of doing it.
    The only people I know who have been there after having kids, left the kids at home when they went.

Yes...yes it is. Which is why I wouldn't go to Ibiza on a family holiday. Plenty of other places to go. I'm sure people do...just I have never hear of anyone that I know of doing it.
    The only people I know who have been there after having kids, left the kids at home when they went.

Well, as you're genuinely interested, here's some for you... I've no idea what age group you're in, but in my own circle, it's as popular as portugal or any other part of spain. The tripadvisor results for hotels with kids clubs and families (1000's of them) are like 'perfect for families', 'ideal for young children', 'great kids club'.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g642208-d296891-Reviews-Invisa_Hotel_Club_Cala_Verde-Santa_Eulalia_del_Rio_Ibiza_Balearic_Islands.html

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g642208-d500307-Reviews-Can_Sanso-Santa_Eulalia_del_Rio_Ibiza_Balearic_Islands.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Anyone see the article in today's Examiner whereby all if the Cork politicians were asked 2 questions on Cork airport needing a simple YES or NO answer;

1. Should the debt be written off
    2. Should cork be run by their own CAA

I can't post the article as I not a subscriber ( maybe another Boardsie can do it!) but was surprising the lack of appetite foy YES answers on the above. Coveney a NO on each question. Martin a bit fuzzy MAYBE ...

Interesting............ Bottom line seems politicans not up for change!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

There needs to be more of a fuss on a national scale not just local. Shannon airport was in the news a lot before independence

Masala wrote: »
    Anyone see the article in today's Examiner whereby all if the Cork politicians were asked 2 questions on Cork airport needing a simple YES or NO answer;

1. Should the debt be written off
    2. Should cork be run by their own CAA

I can't post the article as I not a subscriber ( maybe another Boardsie can do it!) but was surprising the lack of appetite foy YES answers on the above. Coveney a NO on each question. Martin a bit fuzzy MAYBE ...

Interesting............ Bottom line seems politicans not up for change!!!

???
    You don't need to be a subscriber.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/analysis/what-tds-want-for-cork-airport-315914.html

ORK-CAR will be announced tomorrow morning at a Press Conference in Cardiff.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/major-boost-cardiff-airport-airline-8771121

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/airline-to-announce-new-service-to-cork-and-dublin-316135.html#.VPgUXcO20Eo.facebook
    Yes, more good news. Now if we can persuade them to flew Cork-Dublin and throw in a bit of connectivity with a T/A.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Delighted to see another route for Cork!

Would there be a demand for a Cork - Cardiff route???!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Aer Lingus Regional used to fly it didn't they?
    Cardiff would serve folk from Bristol too.

• Advertisement

I'll use it! I've got a flight to bristol that I might change once these are announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Yeah plenty do. Cork and Wales have many cultural links due to almost sharing a common accent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Yeah plenty do. Cork and Wales have many cultural links due to almost sharing a common accent!
    Plenty to do? Not sure maybe a Rugby Match? Wales is devoid of scenery compared to Scotland and England. The most common trait it has with Ireland is probably sheep farming. Twice weekly i cant see the last ability here at all. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

The flight from cork -Bristol is the biggest rip off on aer lingus-120-200 euros return for an hour flight .

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Rocko

When is the Cork - Cardiff flight likely to go on sales on the flybe website?

ya could someone explain what might attract one to visit cardiff

Or for someone from Cardiff to visit Cork. They can fly Welch people as well you know.:(

There's a nice bit around Wales. Maybe not visit cardiff. I went on a 3day trip to wales 6 years ago and we very very busy every day. We flew to bristol and rented a car. Loads to do. We visited mines, went to seaside resorts etc. Wales is lovely. Cold though, -2 was the highest temperature it reached during our trip. Freak cold weather though.

roundymac wrote: »
    Or for someone from Cardiff to visit Cork. They can fly Welch people as well you know.:(

True but cork has a few famous tourist attractions... but ill like to be able to fly somewhere for a weekend of interest from cork...if there were attractions id use it
    hopefully its still there for the rubgy world cup would be handy

• Advertisement

True but cork has a few famous tourist attractions... but ill like to be able to fly somewhere for a weekend of interest from cork...if there were attractions id use it
    hopefully its still there for the rubgy world cup would be handy

Whats in bristol compared to cardiff that allows a daily service?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement