Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of new routes at Cork airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

roundymac wrote: »
    My big problem is with these TDs going on about giving FR the use of the old terminal. MOL won't deny it's a non runner, he'll milk it for all it's worth while those eejets fall all over him.

Exactly. People have been talking for far too long about the old terminal. On one occasion Michael O'Leary said he'd take the old terminal but this was during his regular rants against the money paid for the new terminal when he was dressing up as a bishop and driving a tank for free publicity. It was just another stunt.
    If a fully refurbished and kitted out old terminal building was offered to Ryanair they would never take it over. They are an airline, they don't operate terminals.

Talk of Ryanair and the old terminal needs to be put permanently to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Pitcairn wrote: »
    Exactly. People have been talking for far too long about the old terminal. On one occasion Michael O'Leary said he'd take the old terminal but this was during his regular rants against the money paid for the new terminal when he was dressing up as a bishop and driving a tank for free publicity. It was just another stunt.
    If a fully refurbished and kitted out old terminal building was offered to Ryanair they would never take it over. They are an airline, they don't operate terminals.

Talk of Ryanair and the old terminal needs to be put permanently to bed.

Well said... The only interest Ryanair have in Cork at the moment is to break up the DAA charges via the back door. It is a means to an end...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

IN THE MATTER OF
    THE COMPANIES ACTS 1963-2013
    AND IN THE MATTER OF
    CORK AIRPORT AUTHORITY PLC
    (In Voluntary Liquidation)
    At an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Members of the
    above named Company duly convened and held on 12 January
    2015 the following Special Resolution was duly passed:
    ‘‘That the Company be wound up Voluntarily as a
    Members’ Voluntary Winding-Up and that Mr. Jim
    Hamilton of BDO, be and is hereby appointed Liquidator
    of the Company for the purpose of such winding up and
    that the Liquidator be and is hereby authorised, in
    accordance with the Memorandum and Articles of
    Association of the Company, to distribute the whole or part
    of the assets of the Company amongst the Members in
    specie’’.
    Dated: 20/01/2015.
    JIM HAMILTON,
    Liquidator

Looks like the DAA will have a hold on the airport for the forseeable future anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Looks like the DAA will have a hold on the airport for the forseeable future anyways!

Wouldn't worry too much about that as the CAA was an odd body anyway with board members having conflict of interest all over the shop. DAA set up the CADC Cork Airport Development Council which is responsible for some of the new routes. There is provision in the bill to re incorporate the CAA in the event that it's separated from DAA at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

May I ask does anybody know why Rome-Fiumicino has appeared in Ryanairs search engine for Cork?

• Advertisement

Not there for me

Not there for me

Okay just pick a flight to Stansted on a random day, and then click the yellow edit on the top of the page and look in that menu.

ah yeah I see it now. Interesting, probably a glitch?

Probably. Could it mean something though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

This has happened before with other routes, could be a glitch or it could be FR using cookies to see how many people click on it to get an idea of ammont of interest. maybe I'm watching too many spy films.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Lads there are only a limited ammount of people that actually fly, no point of having airlines with routes and no one to fly on them. I can only fly once this year and I'm flying from Cork. I consider myself one of the lucky ones in that I can do it. As for SNN there are even longer periods with nothing happening as well. Cork is still doing more passengers than SNN, you'd swear Cork was about to close the way people are going on about it.

Probably due to that fact that there are a lack of destinations.

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Probably due to that fact that there are a lack of destinations.

Thats not any bit contradictory to his/hee next remark.

Theres a lack of routes, I agree, but there's not an amazing untapped market at cork either.

In a few years, I can see Cork having a sustainable 3ish million passengers with small growth if the airport has a good strategy.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Thats not any bit contradictory to his/hee next remark.

Theres a lack of routes, I agree, but there's not an amazing untapped market at cork either.

In a few years, I can see Cork having a sustainable 3ish million passengers with small growth if the airport has a good strategy.

Never stated that there is an amazing untapped market but jesus the ways things are its shambolic. The airport is a ghost town. Theres no getting away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Not sure if there is anything interesting in the latest IAA statistics. Cork still losing flights compared to 12 months ago.
    However we have retaken Shannon in overall flight number.
    Shannon overtook us last April but they seem to have suffered a significant fall in February compared to February 2014.

lF6YIhY.jpg

https://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=117&n=255

Read over on pprune that the FR SNN to eastern europe routes are doing ok but the Munich route and I think it's Lanzarote are doing very poorly.

Read over on pprune that the FR SNN to eastern europe routes are doing ok but the Munich route and I think it's Lanzarote are doing very poorly.

Its Paris Beavais thats the main concern, thats going down to 2xPW next winter. Loads are 50% and less. Munich is probably doing bad as well. Kaunas and the polish routes are doing very well, so is Berlin.

AFAIK lanzarote is doing well too, thats being increased to 2xPW this summer.

Pitcairn wrote: »
    Not sure if there is anything interesting in the latest IAA statistics. Cork still losing flights compared to 12 months ago.
    However we have retaken Shannon in overall flight number.
    Shannon overtook us last April but they seem to have suffered a significant fall in February compared to February 2014.

lF6YIhY.jpg

https://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=117&n=255

Shannon's fall is due to the withdrawal of Aer Lingus Regional.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Does the Shannon figures include the American troop carriers on stop over and also the BA London City to JFK service?

kub wrote: »
    Does the Shannon figures include the American troop carriers on stop over and also the BA London City to JFK service?

Of course. Every airport counts all passengers that go through there. Keep in mind though these figures are relatively small. There is rarely more than 1 troop service a week. The BA London City-JFK service has 32 seats, of which are often not even half full.

Rumors of 2 new routes. Ryanair - Paris Beauvais and a UK route.

• Advertisement

Hope it stays a rumour, last thing we now need is two airlines compeating on similer routes.

I'd say Ryanair would love to kick EIR in the shins at cork. Although flying to Beauvais is not worth competition, it would get a few numbers with the low fares considering few know where Beauvais really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Indeed Memmingen/Munich West only did well for July/August last year, very seasonal tourism traffic. Interesting to see this summer's performance

No problems with Lanzarote though, that's an Irish favourite after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Air Contractors flying as a Fed Ex feeder flight from CDG to SNN with a stop off in Cork 4 mornings and 4 evenings a week is being pulled from June. It will now fly from CDG to SNN direct. Another blow to Cork Airport albeit a small blow.
    No major headlines about this tho as there are no passenger numbers so the papers or radio stations dont care. Its still lost revenue tho.
    Cork used to be a huge cargo hub. There was bluebird, tnt and dhl flights 4/5 days a week about 5 years ago. That went to 2 airlines, then 1 and then 0 till fed ex came in but its now back to zero again. Again nobody cares as there wasnt passenger numbers but there was huge revenue lost when they all pulled out.

A lot of the old cargo facilities were demolished for the new terminal though as far as I remember, which was a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

A lot of the old cargo facilities were demolished for the new terminal though as far as I remember, which was a shame.

The 3 cargo buildings are still there. The DHL building is being used by WSF tho. The weight bridge is still there and working. The trolleys for the cargo cans are all parked up still rusting away. All thats needed are the flights.

I'd say Ryanair would love to kick EIR in the shins at cork. Although flying to Beauvais is not worth competition, it would get a few numbers with the low fares considering few know where Beauvais really is.

Why would this be the case?

Rumors of 2 new routes. Ryanair - Paris Beauvais and a UK route.

Hopefully Ryanair can challenge Stobart Air to Birmingham.

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Hopefully Ryanair can challenge Stobart Air to Birmingham.
    And collaspe the route. A 737 on a "lite" route will always fare badly as against a prop job, however the down side is that the prop will always be more expensive against a jet to operate passenger fare wise due to small numbers that can be carried.People should really look at the bigger picture rather that than the bottom line, ie; their pockets when they wish for something.
    Also FR's record in Cork is not great for coming on routes forcing the other operater off and then pulling the route saying it's not economicly viable.

• Advertisement

And collaspe the route. A 737 on a "lite" route will always fare badly as against a prop job, however the down side is that the prop will always be more expensive against a jet to operate passenger fare wise due to small numbers that can be carried.People should really look at the bigger picture rather that than the bottom line, ie; their pockets when they wish for something.
    Also FR's record in Cork is not great for coming on routes forcing the other operater off and then pulling the route saying it's not economicly viable.

Why would it be termed a lite route, for a 737 aircraft wouldn't there be enough demand daily to BHX to fill it?

FR's record isn't great due to the airports charges.

I do agree however that it is frustrating when a new route by someone other than FR starts, FR then flood it with cheap fares and then once that competitor has pulled the route,FR shags off.

i.e. Wizz

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement