Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of new routes at Cork airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Why would it be termed a lite route, for a 737 aircraft wouldn't there be enough demand daily to BHX to fill it?

FR's record isn't great due to the airports charges.

I do agree however that it is frustrating when a new route by someone other than FR starts, FR then flood it with cheap fares and then once that competitor has pulled the route,FR shags off.

i.e. Wizz
    Easy Jet would be another name to add to the list. Don't know if there is enough demand, if there was I suspect EI would have kept it going with an A320. Look at the Manchester route, at one stage we BA, EI, and BMI Baby flying at the same time, now it's down to EI Reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

roundymac wrote: »
    Easy Jet would be another name to add to the list. Don't know if there is enough demand, if there was I suspect EI would have kept it going with an A320. Look at the Manchester route, at one stage we BA, EI, and BMI Baby flying at the same time, now it's down to EI Reg.

I was actually on the second last or last flight to go from Cork-Mcr with Bmibaby. There was about 15 passengers on it. I think it was A319.

I think Bmibaby flew to BHX too.

I thought there would be a fair bit of demand from business people/Uni/tourism & visiting relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

In 2014 Ryanair tried to compete with Stobart to Birmingham with their flights to East Midlands. They couldn't make it work and gave up pretty quickly. Any time I travelled the plane was less than half full. So I don't think they'll give it another go any time soon.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/minister-paschal-donohoe-meets-agencies-in-drive-to-grow-cork-airport-320679.html
    Paschal Donohoe has suddenly realized there is an election in the offing. I do like the routes the Airport are hoping to attract.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/minister-paschal-donohoe-meets-agencies-in-drive-to-grow-cork-airport-320679.html
    Paschal Donohoe has suddenly realized there is an election in the offing. I do like the routes the Airport are hoping to attract.

I won't be voting for his party anyway. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The supposed routes that were planned were not announced. Cork is as well off, a Beauvais route or some Ryanair UK route (which would definitely target Aer Lingus) would not be good for the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Carnacalla wrote: »
    The supposed routes that were planned were not announced. Cork is as well off, a Beauvais route or some Ryanair UK route (which would definitely target Aer Lingus) would not be good for the airport.

Agreed - its new routes that we need not competition on existing

Is there a general Cork Airport thread or is this it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Thanks to this thread for bringing the attention of the Cardiff route. Have the fiancées family coming over now, 3 of them, for £113 return. Hope this route does well now, Cardiff is a great city.

Flights are only a Saturday though, not the Tuesday and Friday as the press release thing said.

Went to Munich last sat, used the airbridge, god help the passengers that were going to AMS and LHR they must have got soaked getting on board. They really need to get something sorted out regarding the airbridges.
    Also in last saturdays examiner there was a article in the travel section about Munich, poorly written, said EI only fly to MUC on saturdays, seem to have forgotten about Wednesdays.
    Have to complement the cabin crew on last nights flight home. One passenger who was a nervous flyer deceided at the last minute that she wanted off, the cc dealt with her in a very understanding manner and have her compleatly calmed and reassured before she was taken off. Later on the cc came back to her parents to check that they were ok and to reassure them. Take a bow cc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Went to Munich last sat, used the airbridge, god help the passengers that were going to AMS and LHR they must have got soaked getting on board. They really need to get something sorted out regarding the airbridges.

There is a charge for using an airbridge (Cork Airport Fees).

The airbridge typically connects to the front door of the aircraft.

This has the effect of slowing the embarkation/disembarkation of passengers.

Resulting in extended turn around times.

While the day in question may have been inclement the climate in Ireland tends to be mostly benign.

Most Low Cost operators tend avoid them where possible.

Explain how they use them every where else so, slowing them down is a load of balls, they generally take 45min to an hour to turn around, FR do it in 25mins approx, at €3.75 per 15mins they can easily make that back with some in flight sales. EI could not be classed as a low-cost carrier.

Acer Lingus short haul is based on the low cost carrier principal.

Low cost carriers will not pay for facilities that they do not believe they need.

Airbridges are an unnecessary expense.

150 passengers per flight using only one access point.

Or 150 passengers walking out across the ramp to board the aircraft using both front and back stairs.

Anything that slows up the process is to be avoided.

Each delay will carry to the next sector. That is to be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Flew out 2 weeks ago on Saturday , there were 20 flights only going all day, most airports do that many an hour. Came back Tue morning form London the Aerlingus flight used the airbridge to the front of the plane & walk across the tarmac out the back

solargain wrote: »
    Flew out 2 weeks ago on Saturday , there were 20 flights only going all day, most airports do that many an hour. Came back Tue morning form London the Aerlingus flight used the airbridge to the front of the plane & walk across the tarmac out the back

20 flights I'd consider good for Cork. Most major airports that have a population well in excess of 1 million have 20flights an hour.

Dublin wouldn't have 20flights most hours.

During the winter, Kerry had 3 flights most days and 4 on a good day. Knock has as low as 4 on some days. In Shannon one Wednesday I recorded 9 flights, (flights severely cut on Wednesdays in winter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

solargain wrote: »
    Most airports Corks sized would never do 20 in one hour :eek: but all day it is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Explain how they use them every where else so, slowing them down is a load of balls, they generally take 45min to an hour to turn around, FR do it in 25mins approx, at €3.75 per 15mins they can easily make that back with some in flight sales. EI could not be classed as a low-cost carrier.

It is for sure slower getting on and off, AMS - ORK for example if you sit at the back you can just use the rear doors whereas in Amsterdam you have to wait till everyone gets out the door at the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Weird thinking all those years ago I've seen Iberia/Air France/KLM/BA/Lufthansa/Alitalia countless charters some still around most gone fly into the airport from my front window. Plus the diversity of planes 747 a good few times Qantas one in a funny livery saw the A330 from EI flying way back i think it was first one in there fleet. Numerous others but seeing a heavy landing in Cork was always a treat.

Acer Lingus short haul is based on the low cost carrier principal.

Low cost carriers will not pay for facilities that they do not believe they need.

Airbridges are an unnecessary expense.

150 passengers per flight using only one access point.

Or 150 passengers walking out across the ramp to board the aircraft using both front and back stairs.

Anything that slows up the process is to be avoided.

Each delay will carry to the next sector. That is to be avoided.
    Not when it comes to pricing, anyway your missing the point I'm trying to make, it's not EI I'm on about, it's having only one airbridge at Cork when there was supposed to be 4. Your beginning to sound like MOL.

Your beginning to sound like MOL.

I think I have just been insulted:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Last frieght operator abandoning Cork Airport:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/coveney-rules-out-debt-deal-for-cork-airport-322323.html
    FedEx, the airport’s last existing freight operator, confirmed it was moving its business to Shannon Airport, which has hoovered up almost 120,000 passengers from Cork through Ryanair route switches in the last 12 months.

As the debate rages about the airport’s future, FedEx is axing its four-day-a-week Cork to Charles de Gaulle air freight service from June 1.

A company spokesperson said from June 1, they will transport cargo from Cork to Shannon by truck.

The inaccuracy of the above article is terrible. Nothing is moving to Shannon, they are just abandoning the cork stopover. The fact that Shannon are slightly cheaper than cork has no bearing in the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

The inaccuracy of the above article is terrible. Nothing is moving to Shannon, they are just abandoning the cork stopover. The fact that Shannon are slightly cheaper than cork has no bearing in the decision.

Its also a 5 day service , not 4 like the article said. Its twice a day for 3 days and once a day for 2 days. 8 flights a week. Not huge revenue for the airport but its still 8 flights a week gone.
    It took 2 weeks to hit the news and im shocked it even did.

I don't know the specifics, but even if it is as simple as abandoning a stopover/nuisance, the fact that there are no air freight services in the 2nd city's airport speaks volumes... Even tho the Freight is a tiny part of Cork's business, symbolically it is another nail in the coffin - and ironically it may be of benefit as it will hasten the demise.

Granted there are some new novelty connections at Cork, but I imagine these will be short-lived and Shannon is already providing significant (sustainable) services which Cork Airport cannot and evidently will not in the future, as clearly sustainability is decreasing, not increasing, over time.

Pragmatically speaking, Cork will be better served (and much sooner) by a new motorway connection to Shannon, than any further attempts to rearrange the deck chairs on the titanic, in lieu of convincing the government or the DAA to take action.

I can certainly envisage private enterprise taking an interest in the old terminal, this will preserve some level of sustainable connectivity and I have heard talk of some type of airfield in East Cork, but crucially - none of this will be allowed to proceed until the DAA will close the main terminal at Cork Airport (including the motorway).

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    I don't know the specifics, but even if it is as simple as abandoning a stopover/nuisance, the fact that there are no air freight services in the 2nd city's airport speaks volumes... Even tho the Freight is a tiny part of Cork's business, symbolically it is another nail in the coffin - and ironically it may be of benefit as it will hasten the demise.

Granted there are some new novelty connections at Cork, but I imagine these will be short-lived and Shannon is already providing significant (sustainable) services which Cork Airport cannot and evidently will not in the future, as clearly sustainability is decreasing, not increasing, over time.

Pragmatically speaking, Cork will be better served (and much sooner) by a new motorway connection to Shannon, than any further attempts to rearrange the deck chairs on the titanic, in lieu of convincing the government or the DAA to take action.

I can certainly envisage private enterprise taking an interest in the old terminal, this will preserve some level of sustainable connectivity and I have heard talk of some type of airfield in East Cork, but crucially - none of this will be allowed to proceed until the DAA will close the main terminal at Cork Airport (including the motorway).
    That is the greatest load of unadulterated crap that I'v seen on boards for a long time. You want to close an almost new teminal and reopen a rat infested dump which bearly sufficed when it was open. As for sustainable services that SNN has got over Cork just wait till O'Leary throws the baby out with the bath water and walks away from SNN like he has done before. As for the airfield in East Cork that was looked at in the fifties, stop living in the past. dannyboy, your name suits you well.

As for sustainable services that SNN has got over Cork just wait till O'Leary throws the baby out with the bath water and walks away from SNN like he has done before.

The corollary being that MOL will walk away from Shannon in order to reopen services in a more expensive Cork... Narnia economics I believe it's called.
    As for the airfield in East Cork that was looked at in the fifties, stop living in the past.
    A Weston Airport type facility will be highly profitable once Cork Airport is wound up.

The over-the-top reaction is unsurprising, people do not like to hear the truth, although I do feel you should attempt to at least tackle some of the relevant facts:

1) There is no plan to address Cork's debt or release Cork from the DAA, confirmed today by Minister Coveney. It's is not even a matter for discussion.
    2) Regardless of how fair it is, due to #1, Shannon is sustainable and growing, as is Dublin, even Kerry, However - Cork is not and is in inexorable decline. Over 1 million passengers lost in less than 7 years, and the pace is accelerating. Cork is expected to cede to Shannon the 2nd Airport status in 2017 if not before then.
    3) Under the current arrangement, Michael O'Leary walking away from Shannon Airport is perfectly feasible, however, MOL expanding services in Cork at the expense of Shannon is not. Either way, Cork loses.
    4) Aside from a few novelty flights, the majority of the flights which will be profitable from Cork, will be more profitable from Shannon. Is it more expensive to the consumer? Certainly, but this is irrelevant under the DAA monopoly. The only actual plan to 'save' Cork Airport is entirely based on these novelty flights, mainly servicing destinations that most of us don't need to go to or return from, with any type or regularity.
    5) I have no desire to close the 'almost new terminal' in Cork, providing some concrete action was taken with regard to it's future (see #1). Failing that, I would prefer to see Cork cut lose from the DAA under their terms, then go belly up, liquidate assets and sell to private enterprise.
    6) Comparing the road network between Ennis-Limerick and Limerick-Cork, the inadequacy of the Limerick-Cork road is stunning in it's inadequacy. It's not far fetched to say this inertia 'suits' the government in the present circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Dannyboy83 wrote: »

Once again we're back talking about the old terminal.
    The old terminal will never be opened again.
    Not only will it require huge investment (new baggage system, new security screenings and new scanners) there is absolutely no point in reopening. The capacity of the new terminal is four million passengers per year and we are currently only seeing half of that.
    The most likely future of the old terminal will be that it will be demolished to expand the apron if and when the airport expands in the future.

The MD of Cork Airport talks about it at the end of this article.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/mhcwaugbqlsn/

As I said previously you can forget about Ryanair taking it on. That was only O'Leary winding people up. Ryanair is an airline. They don't operate terminals.

Cork is still doing more business than SNN. @ Dannyboy 83, I now regard you as a troll and will be not responding to any more of your posts.

Cork is still doing more business than SNN. @ Dannyboy 83, I now regard you as a troll and will be not responding to any more of your posts.

Is that seriously the best rebuttal you can come up with?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Pitcairn wrote: »
    Once again we're back talking about the old terminal.
    The old terminal will never be opened again.

We're referring to different time periods with regard to that point:
    You're referring to present day
    I'm referring to the time after Cork Airport has gone bankrupt.

The old terminal will not be reopened by the DAA, ever - that I agree on.

The old terminal could very conceivably be reopened by private business after Cork Airport goes bankrupt and it's assets are liquidated, ( hopefully the new terminal would also be up for grabs unless it went into NAMA.)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement