Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learn to love the Swastika!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Angron wrote: »
    Fecking Aryans, ruining everything for everyone.

Hey that's my joke!

I have to admit that for a clear swastika, I will always do a double take on it. Context doesn't matter matter. There is always a whoa moment when I see one so I don't think I'd ever get one.

Having said that some of the designs intregrating them are wonderful and I don't have a problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,004 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Some of these designs are really interesting and I'm quite in awe of the campaign, but jeez, a swastika is a swastika. The moment anyone notices it they'll immediately form the worst possible negative opinions of you.

I know if someone asks you can explain it, but still - how many people will ask? Any how many others will just want to stay the hell away from you because they think you're a neo nazi?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

I respect the idea this campaign has and it's worth a try to reverse the negative impact of the symbol.

However, to me, it is still far too soon after the Nazi association with it to attempt this and make it work thoroughly. Old criminals are still getting sentenced in relation to the world war. It's far too fresh in most peoples minds to make any positive significance.

That's just my two cents on it anywho.

Some great examples of incorporating it into differant designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

When I was in Finland I saw a few Swastikas. One was on an old air force plane.

The Finns dont seems to have the same problems with it as everybody else. However I concur with Foxyvixens view above.

Interestingly during WW2 a few Jewish Finnish soldiers were awarded the Iron Cross. Not sure if they accepted it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

When I was in Finland I saw a few Swastikas. One was on an old air force plane.

The Finns dont seems to have the same problems with it as everybody else. However I concur with Foxyvixens view above.

Interestingly during WW2 a few Jewish Finnish soldiers were awarded the Iron Cross. Not sure if they accepted it though.

Finland was a strange one during WW2 mind. The Soviets invaded them in 1939, the Finns gave them a bit of a bloody nose, partially thanks to some secret German help but eventually lost some territory to the Soviets. They joined in the German attack in Barbarossa to try to regain that territory.

Advertisement