Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External HD causing computer to freeze

Options
  • 14-11-2013 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

Hiya,
    My 1TB Seagate external harddrive has been working fine the past 18 months with no issues. However recently my OH hooked it up to the tv to watch something rather than turn on the computer and now the HD is not showing up under my computer and is freezing it. If the HD is plugged in before the computer is turned on it simply wont turn on. I've tried it one two computers with the same result.
    Extensive googling has been done with no joy trying any of the suggestions I've come across (uninstall/reinstall drivers/usb storage device, can't chkdsk etc)
    I cleared off my netbook a few months back and all the data from that is on the harddrive, which I really don't want to lose as it was (stupidly) my only backup. Everything can still be accessed via the tv, I can see all the files, it's just the computer that's having difficulties with it.

Any help or suggestions would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Try right clicking on my computer and go to management while the external drive is connected (assuming your machine hasn't frozen at this point), it should list all physical drives and should display what format they're in.

Hopefully this will show the external drive and hopefully it doesn't show in RAW format.

I'd also suggest downloading a Linux live CD / ISO, with luck you can connect the drive while booted into the Linux live OS and copy the data on to your HDD, not ideal I know but could be a way to salvage your data.

I have a sweet ISO of a Netboot CD here, if you're totally stuck then I can put it on my dropbox and send you the link to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Thanks for that! It's coming up in the list of drives under management and I can view the properties etc and it says 'This device is working properly.'

I'll try downloading a Linux live CD / ISO and hopefully I can save my data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

By any chance did you plug the wrong power adapter into it?

Seagate have the worst reliability of all the drives. Everyone ive ever had failed bad.

Sounds like the USB connection is screwed up if you can plug in HDMI and browse the files but then USB causes it to freeze.

Might be able to transplant the drive into a PC and get files out with through SATA.

Not as hard as it sounds. Just open up and get the drive out. then put inside PC where other drive already is.

Advertisement