Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas whats wrong with my PC?

Options
  • 14-11-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I was moving my TV,server and PC around to make more space in my living room (bad idea).

After I did it I was watching something on XBMC and the PC froze up to the extent I had to do a hard powerdown.

This happened 2 more times. After the second, I opened it up and checked all the connections incase something came loose when moving it. It still happened. Then I updated Win7 (just in case, I was getting desperate)

After the update It worked fine for an hour but then rebooted and got stuck after the bios screen. All that happens now is an underscore in the top left corner of the screen keeps flashing.

Here is a video of what happens when I power it up:

Any idea what wrong with it? Or suggestions on something to try please?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Might want to run a test on your hard drive, could be problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Nagin

Is there anyway to do this from the boot menu?.

I cant really put the HD into my unraid server as it will have to format it

Boot from your Windows DVD and try a system repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

looks like there is no Hard drive detected at time 0:24 in your vid iot says it cant see any press F11 for boot menu or F2/Del for setup

check yor drive cables one might have come loose.

OR

maybe a drive has died (hope not for your sake)

if your comfortable with Linux id suggest using Gparted live

its a cd based drive partitioning/viewing operating system

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Nagin

Thanks for your response guys.

@I Kill You Scum! - Cant believe I didnt think of that myself......duh. Not with it at all. PS4 on the brain

Ya it wasnt detecting my ssd, as invaderzimirl said.
    I changed sata cables and picked my SSD as the HD to boot from but after about an hour it crashed again and the option to choose to boot from SSD isnt there

Looks like this may be the issue
    From Cruscial Site:
    Question
    My m4 SSD freezes or shuts off at least once an hour! What's wrong with it?
    Answer

Look up the firmware revision installed on your m4 SSD, following this guide for Mac and this guide for Windows. If the firmware revision shows as 0001, 0002, or 0009, then most likely your drive is suffering from a condition that was resolved in later firmware revisions, and it needs a firmware update.

Due to an incorrect response to a SMART counter, an m4 drive running one of the three firmware revisions mentioned above becomes unresponsive after 5184 hours of Power-on time, and every new hour after that. The m4 SSD may disappear from BIOS as well, but performing a power cycle process on the m4 will recover the drive and enable you to access it again.

A firmware update will remove this condition from the drive, and allow it to run stable again. The latest firmware revision can be downloaded from our SSD Firmware page, where you also can find instructions for how to run the upgrade on a Windows computer. If you are running your m4 SSD in a Mac system, see these firmware update instructions.

Hopefully this will fix it. As everything got plugged out the other day after my dog pulled the wire out (hes a 4month old chocolate lab, I cant be that angry with him)

Thanks for the help guys

• Advertisement
Advertisement