Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS Increment Query

Options
  • 14-11-2013 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently changed jobs in my place of work, i still work in the same place but different department.
    The money is better but i've lost my 3 increments that i had previously and am now on the bottom of the scale. the money is only slightly better than i anticipated with added longer hours and more responsibility, i did not know this when starting this job, no contract signed yet as there's such a backlog i was told by fellow colleagues not to hold my breath on seeing it.

Anyone with knowledge on a matter like this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Keegai wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently changed jobs in my place of work, i still work in the same place but different department.
    The money is better but i've lost my 3 increments that i had previously and am now on the bottom of the scale. the money is only slightly better than i anticipated with added longer hours and more responsibility, i did not know this when starting this job, no contract signed yet as there's such a backlog i was told by fellow colleagues not to hold my breath on seeing it.

You haven't lost your increments. You are earning more and will be continue getting increments in your new role.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

What are increments? Are they like, payrises.

Lucky you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

cabledude wrote: »
    What are increments? Are they like, payrises.

Lucky you.

**** off you tiresome ****e.

Thomas D wrote: »
    **** off you tiresome ****e.
    No, I'm not tiresome. What is tiresome is Public Sector workers crying about losing increments. The OP stated in his post that he had moved job TO BETTER MONEY. Yet he is still complaining. This country is insolvent. Its obviously not the OP's fault, but he is in a position that he enjoys security of employment and unconditional payrises.

That is tiresome for people who work in the Private sector who are not lucky enough to enjoy job security and would be laughed at if they mentioned a payrise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

but he is in a position that he enjoys security of employment and unconditional payrises.

Don't forget the very generous pensions.

• Advertisement

Don't forget the very generous pensions.
    Thank you. I only mentioned a couple of things. To mention them all would take quite a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

Thank you. I only mentioned a couple of things. To mention them all would take quite a while.

You are not wrong. I wonder which allowances the OP takes advantage of.

You are not wrong. I wonder which allowances the OP takes advantage of.
    Allowances are not a problem IMO. People get allowance in all grades of all sectors of the economy. It's the sense of entitlement WRT increments that boils my urine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This is the "Work Problems" forum where people are looking for an answer to a specific problem; not a general debate.

@Thomas D, keep it civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Did you not check where you would be on the pay scale? Normally when you get promoted or move to a new pay scale you go on the nearest point to where you were without losing money. This seems to have happened in your case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Keegai wrote: »
    Hi,

The standard practice is you move across to the new role on the point closest to the point of your current scale.

E.g. you are on point 3 of the SO salary scale and you get a promotion to EO.
    You move across to point 1 on the EO salary scale- which is slightly higher than point 3 on the SO salary scale.

Yes- the hours are longer, and there is more expected of you- but the flipside of the coin is you have a new salary scale which goes higher than your old scale.

You do not move from point 3 on one salary scale- to point 3 on another salary scale. Points mean nothing. What is counted- is what your current salary is- and what the point on the salary scale of the job you're moving to might be- and you simply move to the closest point.

This is entirely normal practice.

Advertisement