Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Viking Marathon 2014

Options
  • 14-11-2013 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd start this running again to see what opinions people have on the previous two races and what they hope to see for 2014. If it's as good as the first two we won't be too badly off!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Be very interested to hear peoples opinion on the half marathon? All things working out for me i might make it my goal comeback race for 2014. Any excuse to stay in Waterford City/Town, lovely place.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

The correct distance would be a great start!....No Excuses please

But on a positive note it was a decent race last year, particularly enjoyed the downhill mile to the finish and the finish on the track...overall it was a well run race and got many things right.

I know things went wrong with the council moving a cone on the out and back section, maybe if at all possible get rid of that section and make the distance up somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

This.......

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Can we get the registration pack posted this year? Kildare does it. Would save me about 15 euro in petrol and 2 and half hours of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

echancrure wrote: »
    Can we get the registration pack posted this year? Kildare does it. Would save me about 15 euro in petrol and 2 and half hours of my life.

Post here and someone will collect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭123agh

Sorry tipp man running but i do recall running a half marathon some years ago when the distance was close to 16 miles People in glasshouses should not throw stones so I think we should leave it at that. Sorry for the late response but I was busy trying to measure three courses in one
    123agh

But on a positive note it was a decent race last year, particularly enjoyed the downhill mile to the finish and the finish on the track...overall it was a well run race and got many things right.

I know things went wrong with the council moving a cone on the out and back section, maybe if at all possible get rid of that section and make the distance up somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Fella, this is about Waterford marathon. I don't care if Tipp man invented the glass house but if I run the marathon we're discussing here, I sincerely hope my 3 month training regime isn't pi$$ed away by an improperly measured course. April and May really suit me for training purposes and I finish work on the day before at lunchtime. Could fly back to Cork on Friday evening. Would need someone to pick up my number but I guess that could be arranged.

Any plans to change the course? I know the Half in December was changed again this year.

ITziger

I hope your training goes well if you want to put a post up a couple of days before the marathon I will organise collection of your number

123agh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

123agh wrote: »
    ITziger

I hope your training goes well if you want to put a post up a couple of days before the marathon I will organise collection of your number

123agh

Cool man, thanks. Long way away yet and it would be my first marathon in Ireland! Number 6, maybe my lucky number. I'd settle for a pb and no cramps. All the others have featured both.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

Sorry tipp man running but i do recall running a half marathon some years ago when the distance was close to 16 miles People in glasshouses should not throw stones so I think we should leave it at that. Sorry for the late response but I was busy trying to measure three courses in one
    123agh

Whoa, hold on there mate, what are you going on about glasshouses..this isn't a location thing....I assume your talking about the Clonmel Half a few years ago. That was nothing to do with me, I didn't organize it, I ran it and if you check back my posts you will see I was the biggest critic of it even though I'm from there and knew a lot of club people...as I said then, getting the distance wrong is the biggest mistake an organizer can make and there is no excuse for it, I still feel the same.

In all fairness I was a lot easier on the Waterford marathon as I felt it was well run and enjoyed it overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Whoa, hold on there mate, what are you going on about glasshouses..this isn't a location thing....I assume your talking about the Clonmel Half a few years ago. That was nothing to do with me, I didn't organize it, I ran it and if you check back my posts you will see I was the biggest critic of it even though I'm from there and knew a lot of club people...as I said then, getting the distance wrong is the biggest mistake an organizer can make and there is no excuse for it, I still feel the same.

In all fairness I was a lot easier on the Waterford marathon as I felt it was well run and enjoyed it overall.

Tipp man running, Don't bother losing the cool at 123agh. He's posted 35 times, all, bar one, about Viking.

Care to declare an interest 123agh?

If you do, as would appear, have an interest, then throwing your own stones, blindly, does absolutely nothing for your reputation.

Tipp man
    Sorry for the dig tipp man but it makes me cross when your blamed for someone else's mistake.That is the last I intend to say about the matter we have much to organise and i would very much like feedback on the new route for this year race all feedback will be very much appreciated.
    123agh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Condo131 wrote: »
    Tipp man running, Don't bother losing the cool at 123agh. He's posted 35 times, all, bar one, about Viking.

Care to declare an interest 123agh?

If you do, as would appear, have an interest, then throwing your own stones, blindly, does absolutely nothing for your reputation.

If you read the 35 posts he/she has repeatedly posted as an organiser of Viking marathon and has never hid from the criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Absolutely. In fairness he's always been up front about it! He was as disappointed as any of the runners when things went a bit astray last year and he's already doing his best to make sure it doesn't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

The extra bit of distance last year was disappointing but not the end of the world, everything else about the race was perfect in my opinion and made up for it. I also ran the midlands half that ran a bit long and on both occasions the organisers held their hands up and took the flack, it is a thankless task organising a race I have some small experience of this ,but without race directors we would all be running around like headless chickens ! let it go lads and we can look forward to another excellent Viking marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

My god , this thing is six months away and I'm tired of hearing about it already , I enjoyed it last year , despite the extra distance and hitting the wall at mile 17, didn't expect that hill in tramore , give it a rest for few months lads for flips sake !

Gavlor wrote: »
    If you read the 35 posts he/she has repeatedly posted as an organiser of Viking marathon and has never hid from the criticism.
    Sorry Gavlor, I was asking if 123agh wanted to declare an interest, not a third party on his behalf. Yes I do realise that his posts IMPLY that he is involved. A specific declaration of same, from him, would help - especially when he took exception to a punter raising a valid point. However 123agh's response was to suggest that it was "someone else's mistake" - hardly a valid excuse for an organiser. Declining responsibility is, imho, hiding from criticism.

It might also help if the Viking Marathon organisers complied with Irish and EU company law, and declared, on their website and documentation, who they are: Company name, Directors, Company Registration Number. This is NOT an optional, or "nice to have" thing - it's required by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Condo131 wrote: »

It might also help if the Viking Marathon organisers complied with Irish and EU company law, and declared, on their website and documentation, who they are: Company name, Directors, Company Registration Number. This is NOT an optional, or "nice to have" thing - it's required by law.

Do you fancy declaring your interest?!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Do you fancy declaring your interest?!
    ????? Now you're only continuing to snipe at any criticism. Seems to be a feature of this thread.
    For the record, I have no interest in the Viking Marathon, or, for that matter, in any of it's competitors. Satisfied?

On the point of your quote though, my interest is in ensuring that Commercial bodies that organise races, do so in a transparent manner. The commercials seem to go out of their way to conceal or withhold information required by law.

well guys I do have an interest in the waterford viking as one of the organisers I can assure you that I have taken full responsibility of the length of last years course yes the buck stopped with me and as soon as we noticed the mistake we held our hands up to it. I can also assure you also that the Waterford viking marathon is not a profit making body we are a set of volunteers which have got together to bring a marathon to waterford all the monies made are given to two selected charities picked by the committee at the start at each year. I apologise to tippman running for the rub I gave him about the clonmel run. I know that we are fully compliant with European and Irish law and I will endeavour to have the info specified placed on our website asap.
    Now lads lets talk running and can someone have a look at the route for next year marathon and give me some feedback as if i have made some mistakes i would like to know. 123 agh wishing you all a great year of injury free running.

• Advertisement

Well said 123!! Looking at the route on the website it seems that there's still a bit of that hill on Strand St. in Tramore! Say it ain't so!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Well said 123!! Looking at the route on the website it seems that there's still a bit of that hill on Strand St. in Tramore! Say it ain't so!!:eek:

I think the route goes past O'Shea's Hotel, and at the cross roads instead of going up the hill on Main St, you turn right, past the Hi-B.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I think the route is looking pretty good and fair. Nice few miles in/around the city centre, and it looks to be as flat as you could hope to get it, for Waterford :) Major bonus having the Green Road and Lacken Road taken out of it, due to the condition of the surface, and of course, not having to go up Main St in Tramore will be welcomed by all.

[Major bonus having the Green Road and Lacken Road taken out of it, due to the condition of the surface, and of course, not having to go up Main St in Tramore will be welcomed by all.[/QUOTE]

Thx Ruby. Still a bit of a pull up past O'Shea's but not as bad as last year. The wheels began to come off at the top of that stretch last year!!! Agree on Green Rd. and Lacken too. Brutal surface especially the Green Rd. bit near the end. Ouch

Bahanaman
    Unfortunately I must add a small rise as I don't want to make it too easy for ye no pain no gain. this is the same cnoc that was in the first route and it is only half of last year and not the steep part either. For those newbees the long runs are starting back this sunday the 5th of January come join us
    123agh

[Major bonus having the Green Road and Lacken Road taken out of it, due to the condition of the surface, and of course, not having to go up Main St in Tramore will be welcomed by all.

Thx Ruby. Still a bit of a pull up past O'Shea's but not as bad as last year. The wheels began to come off at the top of that stretch last year!!! Agree on Green Rd. and Lacken too. Brutal surface especially the Green Rd. bit near the end. Ouch[/QUOTE]

Bahanaman
    Unfortunately I must add a small rise as I don't want to make it too easy for ye no pain no gain. this is the same cnoc that was in the first route and it is only half of last year and not the steep part either. For those newbees the long runs are starting back this sunday the 5th of January come join us at superquinn car park 9 bells in the morning
    123agh

Thx Ruby. Still a bit of a pull up past O'Shea's but not as bad as last year. The wheels began to come off at the top of that stretch last year!!! Agree on Green Rd. and Lacken too. Brutal surface especially the Green Rd. bit near the end. Ouch
    [/QUOTE]

Where are the long runs from 123? How long are they? Sure I knew ya couldn't make a pb too achievable! Where'd the challenge be in that?!

Bahanaman

i hope I find you well The long runs start at Superquinn car park at 9.00 a.m The shortest run tomorrow will be 4 miles for beginners and for the the more experienced 6 miles just to get break ye in gently
    123 agh

Where are the long runs from 123? How long are they? Sure I knew ya couldn't make a pb too achievable! Where'd the challenge be in that?!

Bahanaman

i hope I find you well The long runs start at Superquinn car park at 9.00 a.m The shortest run tomorrow will be 4 miles for beginners and for the the more experienced 6 miles just to get break ye in gently
    123 agh

That's grand. I might wait a couple of weeks before heading down. It's a bit of a spin from here. I've only just started back myself this week after doing virtually nothing since the marathon last June! Got injured shortly after and am not sure I'm even right yet. Starting from a very low overweight base! Hopefully in a couple of weeks I might be in better fettle and head down for a good long run. Will it be a regular arrangement from now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭webpal

Advertisement