Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Viking Marathon 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

The hill from the People's Park is there alright. The early part will be interesting alright. Lots of turns through the streets in around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Anybody know what the numbers for the full marathon are like for this?
    Also, anybody know a reliable 22 day weather forecast? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

There was about 450 last year when I did it

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

from looking at the route profile and knowing waterford.. the 1st half seems the toughest. last 5 miles very flat and fast .. (if you can get there in one piece)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

MacSwifty wrote: »
    The Main Difference are thet the Green Road and the Hill and some of the "Two and Froing" in Tramore are gone.Added in are a bit of a scoot around the city at the start and a lap of the Eco park at the end which wont be fun!!!

Why?

Please don't tell me there's a hill at the end?:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

For me Mr Wiggle I generally finsh my runs at the Kingfisher - so to have to turn and do a mile or So in the ECO will be tough!! Hill wise there is a nice short sharp Shock about 200m half way round but immediately downhill! There will also be a bit of a haul out of the ECO park onto Ballybeg but both will be in the last mile!! -You'll be grand!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Why?

Please don't tell me there's a hill at the end?:mad:

the eco park is boring .. thats about it .. it feels like it will never end when you run around it.... flat enough .. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

Any idea how many registrations received for the full marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭123agh

400 full 600 half 260 quarter

123agh wrote: »
    400 full 600 half 260 quarter

Well up on last year 123?

• Advertisement

Bahanaman

No But still a week or so to go and the option is still there to step down to the half so it is hard to read at the moment. There is three small hills between mile 2.5 to mile 7 and what I say is what goes up must come down. then for the Marathon there is a few small rises out around Tramore but nothing to demanding the eco park will be tough in the sense that if it is hot it can very heavy but it is flat and a small rise just before you enter the Waterford sports Centre

123agh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Quite jealous of all of you doing this. Ran it last year (first marathon) and although it was a roasting hot day, I enjoyed it so much that I've been doing as many marathons as possible since. Great to hear that they've changed the route around Tramore, that massive hill was a nightmare, you're better off without it.

Expect to get a bit lonely when you lose the crowds from the half-marathon on the main road, so try and find a marathon pace buddy before then if you want company, I was on my own for a few miles there last year and ended up lagging with the lack of crowd support and other runners around.

Would love to do it again this year, but as it's on the day after my sister's wedding in Dublin, it's not really gonna be possible unfortunately.

A long run this Saturday morning from Superquinn/valu at 8 am to take in the half marathon route which is also the first half of the full. Should be interesting!

Dear Ron dmc
    Wish your sister hopefully we will have you back next the route will be the same so thank you for the feedback very much appreciated . Join us next year or do the half here in December enjoy the wedding
    123agh

Bahanaman wrote: »
    A long run this Saturday morning from Superquinn/valu at 8 am to take in the half marathon route which is also the first half of the full. Should be interesting!

Bahanaman
    how far are you going on Sunday the marathon group leaving at 9 if you are interested

123agh

Bahanaman
    how far are you going on Sunday the marathon group leaving at 9 if you are interested

123agh

Start of the taper 123! Plan says 13 miles so the half route would be great. What distance is the marathon group doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mrkite

Looking forward to the race. In taper mode now. Any tips for dealing with high temperatures if the sunny south east lives up to its name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

mrkite wrote: »
    Looking forward to the race. In taper mode now. Any tips for dealing with high temperatures if the sunny south east lives up to its name.

very hard to prepare for it if you haven't been training in it. But I suppose hydration is the most important thing, and not just water because on a warm day you will need to replace lost salts too, so have a few gels with water or perhaps isotonic/energy drinks etc. Obviously you should have tried these out before the big day to ensure they don't have a negative effect on your stomach.

I'm thinking of doing the half, it would be nice to run around some of the old haunts/areas I used to live near.
    It's been so long I had to ask someone what and where is the Eco park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Aarnikotka

Bahanaman

123agh

Hi 123agh, I'll be coming back to the Deise to run the half - am really looking forward to it! I was just wondering if any of your groups were planning on heading out for a run on the 21st? I'd love to join you if that's possible. :)

• Advertisement

Aarnikotka

I have a group running on the 21st just need to contact the leader of that group to see where their leaving from. so i post you during the week. If you want i have group running on the 22nd we will be 10 for full 6 for half and quarter from supervalu (formerly known as Superquinn) at 9 a.m

123agh

I'm thinking of doing the half, it would be nice to run around some of the old haunts/areas I used to live near.
    It's been so long I had to ask someone what and where is the Eco park :)

Run Forest run

waterstation roughly every two milesish gels stations in tramore and lucozade in tramore and at 21 miles(Water Station)

123 agh

Just entered for the half. Lets hope this warm spell has passed before race day :D

Just entered for the half. Lets hope this warm spell has passed before race day :D

rfr
    indeed dont really want a very hot day really too many problems with the heat
    123agh

Run Forest run

waterstation roughly every two milesish gels stations in tramore and lucozade in tramore and at 21 miles(Water Station)

123 agh

So just the one gel station?

Last long run yesterday. It wasn't pretty. ball of right foot got very sore, followed by knotty pain in calf of right leg, followed in turn by pain in right knee. Probably all connected. Plasters fell off nipples (due to excessive sweating in the heat), nipples were bleeding, had a headache and was very tired. Followed this up with getting some sunburn.
    Sat 28th could be a horror show.

eliwallach wrote: »
    Last long run yesterday. It wasn't pretty. ball of right foot got very sore, followed by knotty pain in calf of right leg, followed in turn by pain in right knee. Probably all connected. Plasters fell off nipples (due to excessive sweating in the heat), nipples were bleeding, had a headache and was very tired. Followed this up with getting some sunburn.

So apart from all that things went well eli?!:D I reckon it was good to get all these things out of the way before the 28th. Smooth run on the day now!

So just the one gel station?

Water stations are water and gels in tramore (×2 at t-bay) and sommerville (×2 out and back) katie's (back only)
    Happy running

123agh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Use Micropore tape, it will never fall/peel off

• Advertisement

viperlogic wrote: »
    Use Micropore tape, it will never fall/peel off

I have Micropore tape over the plaster.........
    Maybe I now need something stronger to hold the Micropore tape on.....
    Nipples still aren't right.

Advertisement