Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Viking Marathon 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Bahanaman wrote: »
    That's a change for the better on the weather forecast! We'd be blessed with those conditions. Last time I checked (sat), it had a temp of 20 deg in sunshine! I'm assuming/praying they get more accurate as they get closer to the actual day! Enough things wrecking the head without the weather as well!

don't worry, the Leaving Cert is over and soon this fine spell will be too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭123agh

don't worry, the Leaving Cert is over and soon this fine spell will be too :D

I believe that the weather is due to turn cloudy and showery on Saturday but it will only keep the dust down lads. Going through the final preparations lads . I hope you enjoy it lads and may ye all get pub's
    123agh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Registration at WIT Sports Hall; is that the new sports complex where the half marathon started? Also do we need some registration slip, or just turn up with id? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

123agh wrote: »
    I believe that the weather is due to turn cloudy and showery on Saturday but it will only keep the dust down lads. Going through the final preparations lads . I hope you enjoy it lads and may ye all get pub's
    123agh

Good man 123. The regular updates on Facebook are great.

123agh wrote: »
    123agh

was that an intentional mis-spelling? :D
    A few cold ones will be in order definitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

eliwallach wrote: »
    Registration at WIT Sports Hall; is that the new sports complex where the half marathon started?

No, registraton is at WIT, on the Cork Rd, opposite Ballybeg estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Registration at WIT Sports Hall; is that the new sports complex where the half marathon started? Also do we need some registration slip, or just turn up with id? Thanks.

Sorry to hear of your passing earlier in the week Eli :):(
    The ripe old age of 98!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RIP
    http://www.thejournal.ie/eli-wallach-dies-1536518-Jun2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

For those who got their names on the post, can you collect your goody bag after the race or is it only before the race? Thanks.

Development: Didn't tick the box for posting out of race number (at the additional cost of €2) but received it in the post today:confused:, this means, I presume, that I don't have to register? Just turn up and run. Kind of fvcks up my plans tbh as I had arranged to travel to Waterford on Friday evening to register and sundries, now I really don't need to travel to Waterford on Friday.

Aside: might retire my name based on the timely passing of Mr. Eli Wallach.

• Advertisement

For those who got their names on the post, can you collect your goody bag after the race or is it only before the race? Thanks.

you can collect your goody bag at the end

123agh

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Bringing the family to give me some support on Sat.
    Where's the best place to park coming in from Cork, and the best place for
    my gang to keep themselves entertained whilst waiting for me to sprint crawl by?
    Hoping to spend the rest of the day in Waterford and enjoy the buzz , so any advice for us tourists welcome !

Mr.W

Mr Wiggle

The best place for you to park is the W.I.T car park and then run into the start (1 mile warm up) or you can take the bus in to the start from the front car park of the W.I.T. your family can then spend the day in waterford good vantage spots are lad lane (1/2 mile mark) then tower hotel a short walk (2 mile mark) and then Catherine st/ Waterside Junction (4 mile mark) and then out to the superquinn roundabout for the (8 mile mark). the last bit The park just after the Tower hotel with coffee shop for your good lady wife then back into town for a visit round the viking quarter and then up town for a small bit of shopping and then to the newly opened New Street garden.

123agh

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mrkite

Any tips for good post race pub grub. Easily reached from finish area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

mrkite wrote: »
    Any tips for good post race pub grub. Easily reached from finish area.

There aren't any pubs near the finish. There is a McD's and Rockin Joes (formerly Eddie Rockets, within 400 metres of the finish)

If you want to loosen out the legs you could stroll/hobble back in to John Street (abt 3/4 mile) and go to Geoff's. They do lovely food. There's also Revolution Bar (though I've never eaten there), Bodega (more restaurant/wine bar than pub, but nice food), and the Kazbar, all on John's St, and within a stones through of each other. Hope you have a good race :)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

@123agh

Can I assume that no entries will be taken tomorrow am? Friend has decided he wants to jump in the car with me and looking to run the half?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Best of luck to all running this tomorrow

People are being slow nailing their times to the mast, so to speak.
    Me, I honestly don't know what the hell kind of shape I'm in :confused: training has been non-structured and I don't seem to have put in as much work as in previous marathon plans, although I did break my highest-weekly-mileage 3 times during the training block.
    My most recent race was March 31st 10K in 42mins.
    So anywhere between 3:20 and 4:30........Don't honestly know.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Winner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Keith Russell Reading Runners 2.29.51
    Gary O Hanlon 2.31.56

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

2:57:52 for 10th place!:D 17th at halfway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Bahanaman wrote: »
    2:57:52 for 10th place!:D 17th at halfway!

F€ckin brilliant!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I went down for a look at this with a view to doing it next year. Is it just me or is it very quiet at the finish line? There didn't seem to be much encouragement at all. Looks very well organised though. The pacers came in on their own more often than not, it looked like they were a few mins ahead of target and I was beginning to think there was a timing problem. Be interested to hear from people who ran it?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Beef wrote: »
    I went down for a look at this with a view to doing it next year. Is it just me or is it very quiet at the finish line? There didn't seem to be much encouragement at all. Looks very well organised though. The pacers came in on their own more often than not, it looked like they were a few mins ahead of target and I was beginning to think there was a timing problem. Be interested to hear from people who ran it?

I just spoke to some one who ran it, looks like the course was short - maybe a quarter mile or something around that. He was saying the pacers copped it and were trying to get people in on average pace for the correct distance so they could at least take that from it.

My first time running the half in Waterford, got a PB so I'll ignore the short course suggestions!!

A really well organised event, lots of stewards and loads of water stops. From the baggage drop off, the bus from WIT to the baggage collection, it was all controlled brilliantly and with a smile.

My only down point and it's not the organiser's fault was some parts of the course were quiet in terms of runners, from mile 9 to 11 I was on my todd at a time when i could have done with someone to tailgate :-)

Overall, between the Dungarvan 10 and the Waterford marathon you could say those Deise folk know how to organise a great running event. Well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

I'm not sure if the half marathon was short. But after being long last year to be short this year is a monumental fcuk up. I find it hard to see how they can keep the race going with credibility after that. I heard all the other details were looked after but all that means nothing if the distance isn't right. It's disrespectful to the people who train hard to achieve a result.

well done run Forrest run - PB's are always good!

ASIMON0V wrote: »
    I just spoke to some one who ran it, looks like the course was short - maybe a quarter mile or something around that. He was saying the pacers copped it and were trying to get people in on average pace for the correct distance so they could at least take that from it.

Thanks, something certainly didn't look right when all the pacers were coming in early.
    Unforgivable if true. There's no point in doing everything else well and getting the distance wrong (again, if true), it's the most basic aspect of any race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ASIMON0V wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the half marathon was short. But after being long last year to be short this year is a monumental fcuk up. I find it hard to see how they can keep the race going with credibility after that. I heard all the other details were looked after but all that means nothing if the distance isn't right. It's disrespectful to the people who train hard to achieve a result.

Spot on.

Everything else was great, I mostly liked the course and and it was very well organised, but they failed in one major area. To get the distance wrong is a major f*ck up, and to do so for the second time in a row is very, very bad.

The full marathon course was about a quarter of a mile short. I kept a close eye on the mile markers and the difference happened between miles 10 and 12. I think the half was correct, the error seems to have happened in a section that was for the full only.

My garmin track is here, if anyone wants to have a look.

It really is a shame, I liked everything else about the race. Well, apart form that b*tch of a climb coming out of Tramore. :rolleyes:

That's my mind made up for next year then. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Ah, lads, I couldn't be having that. Two years in a row! Shocking. I have read a different report on another forum saying the same btw. Bloke said he reckoned it was around mile 11 but hadn't given splits or Garmin link - think he was posting from phone.

Bahanaman......... are you going to add on the quarter mile? You'd still be sub 3 right?

Advertisement