Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bosch Motorcycle stability control (MSC): Braking at lean angle!

• 14-11-2013 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

Looks like a proper ABS for bikes tbh, first I have heard of this tech!

Explanation of the system starts at 0:50

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Impressive. Looks like a big improvement on standard ABS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I can only imagine the cost of this....I bet the likes of BMW will implement this and have an already expensive bike mad money. Should be standard option on all bikes to keep the cost down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I can only imagine the cost of this....I bet the likes of BMW will implement this and have an already expensive bike mad money. Should be standard option on all bikes to keep the cost down.

I'd be more worried about the cost when it goes tits up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

KTM are the first with it, on sale now on the new. ...1200?

They'll all have it eventually - is not a hardware cost, it's a software and development cist that makes it expensive at the outset. Should cost no more than Std ABS to actually make.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »

They'll all have it eventually - is not a hardware cost, it's a software and development cist that makes it expensive at the outset. Should cost no more than Std ABS to actually make.

Cant agree with that TBH, if it was made and developed by Bosch then its gonna be patented for "X" number of yrs and will cost more then standard ABS. They are not a charity, the R&D costs would be massive for a project of this magnitude. After the patent ends and monies recouped then sure it will be more mainstream and cost effective.

I have the new ride magazine and yes the new KTM 1290 does indeed have the new system in place but the bike is close to £15,000 sterling, thats not cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

galwaytt wrote: »

Cant agree with that TBH, if it was made and developed by Bosch then its gonna be patented for "X" number of yrs and will cost more then standard ABS. They are not a charity, the R&D costs would be massive for a project of this magnitude. After the patent ends and monies recouped then sure it will be more mainstream and cost effective.

I have the new ride magazine and yes the new KTM 1290 does indeed have the new system in place but the bike is close to £15,000 sterling, thats not cheap.

I doubt that Bosch developed this on their own.

It won't be long, and we will see it on more and more bikes.

I remember when ABS first came out on bikes - everyone said what you are saying here - it is too expensive, etc. Now we have ABS on loads of bikes.

In 2001 the EU said that every car sold within the EU had to have ABS (I know that there are still a few cars sold without ABS, but we will not be in a position to buy one anytime soon).

How long until all bikes sold within the EU have to have ABS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its trickledown tech from superbikes, I think the IDM has had this for a couple of seasons now, and MotoGP certainly has it for longer.
    Remember what happened to Dani in Aragon this year when Mark Marquez chopped his rear sensor cable?
    This will help pay for the development costs but I think most manufacturers will be offering this anyway, and given the noises coming from Europe about rider aids then you can expect that they will be pushing this for sure.

When I bought my bike in 2006 it was €1,200 extra for abs. TBH, I don't think I'd bother with it if I was buying one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Cienciano wrote: »
    When I bought my bike in 2006 it was €1,200 extra for abs. TBH, I don't think I'd bother with it if I was buying one again.

If you are talking about the BMW 1200 GS - the ABS is now standard.
    You still have the option to switch it off. :)

IT was optional when I got it. It's standard now, but you're still paying for it! Problem with turning it off (on the road), you know you'll end up needing it within about 100 meters of turning it off!

• Advertisement

TBH, I have never ridden a bike with ABS so cant comment on if its better to have it or not. When I was getting my first bike I was looking for a FZ6 with ABS and alot of people put me off getting it. I suppose if you are using it all the time (ABS) something wrong with your style of riding but I can see its uses.

The idea is, that you might never need it, but it's there for an emergency. It seems to kick in a bit to early for my liking, but probably better on newer models.
    The thing about abs in a car, you can still swerve with it. On a bike you can't. This MSC looks good though.

If I won the lotto I would deffo get one of the new KTM 1290's, its described as a "NAKED BUSA" just mental!!!! Super looking machine...really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It was made by Bosch, and was developed with KTM, and that's why theirs is the first bike to have it.

It will appear on all bikes and will be rolled out on all Bosch platforms eventually. KTM just get a headstart and a price advantage on it at beginning of life - it's part of the quid pro quo of helping the cost of developing the system. And, it helps sell more bikes.

Eventually that advantage will disappear and.............they'll have to come up with something else.

I was never bother about ABS, until I had a bike that did have it - and it saved my bacon, so I became a fan. Next bike I bought however, didn't have it, but if I was buying again I would - and this 'leaning' version sounds/looks like a good leap forward to me.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I think its a super piece of tech, but you are paying for it. As I said, shade under £15,000 for a naked bike is very steep no matter how good.

Advertisement