Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nandos & Milanos - nice addition to D15 eateries

Options
  • 14-11-2013 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭

Soooo I went to Nandos today (late lunch on my own) for the first time ever and I LOVED it.
    *staff were so friendly
    *varying degrees of hotness available nyom nyom. I went very hot. I love hot.
    *bottomless drinks

Milanos
    I've been to Milanos a couple of times since it opened. Always just get thin and crispy pizza, no sides or anything and they are just so nice and flavourful! (cherry tomatoes mmm, pesto mmm etc etc)

Where else in D15 do you like to eat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Yes, I went to Nandos for the first time when my sister visited last month. I inaccurately told her it was kind of an upmarket KFC and she was a bit wary about that description but we were both really impressed with it when we visited. The interior/decor alone makes you feel like you're in a fancy city centre establishment and the food and service were really impressive.

I've yet to try Milanos but will try and get a visit in before xmas.

12th Lock never ever lets me down for food - always delicious. Only minor flaw is that it's so popular that it can be hard to get seating sometimes.

The Grasshopper in Clonee (not technically D15) is also great for the old reliable type meals.

Jaipur in Ongar does lovely Indian food (their early bird is great value - however, I'd like if they changed around the early bird menu - it's been the same since they opened about 5 years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Love Nandos. Their loyalty card is great. We had a free whole chicken on ours last week so we got a whole chicken, a pita and two sides for 13 quid. They seem to choose and train their staff well too.

I like Brownes too. Very friendly staff and good food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I don't get the point of Nandos to be honest. All they do is sell cooked chicken to which you cover in a variety of sauces. There's nothing special about it, but of course that's just my opinion. You can buy the sauce, cook your own chicken and cover in sauce to disguise the actual taste of the chicken, even if you cooked it badly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Tried both of those recently. Milanos was quite nice, and I'd certainly go again.
    Nandos was quite disappointing - there was nothing wrong per se, it just wasn't anything special and I'd heard so much hype about it. Chicken was alright, but the sauces were nothing brilliant.
    I love Crackbird on Dame street for chicken, it's been fantastic any time I've visited so perhaps it has spoiled Nandos for me! Or maybe the hype about Nandos had given me unrealistic expectations.

Oh God, Crackbird was awful the time I went there. Really didn't like it at all. It's a totally different type of restaurant to Nandos though so I don't think it's really a fair comparison.

I'm not a fan of Milanos either. I'd choose nearly any other restaurant in Blanch over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm a big fan of Eddie Rockets family meal deal... always ends up working out cheaper than McDonalds for us so go there.

Haven't been to Nando's or Milano's yet but it is my mission to try Nando's...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Love Nandos. Their loyalty card is great. We had a free whole chicken on ours last week so we got a whole chicken, a pita and two sides for 13 quid. They seem to choose and train their staff well too.

I like Brownes too. Very friendly staff and good food.

I didn't know they had a loyalty card!

Do u pick it up at the til?

Yep, they have them at the till. They used to have a card that they stamped or signed but now they have a plastic one that they swipe. Details here.

Yep, they have them at the till. They used to have a card that they stamped or signed but now they have a plastic one that they swipe. Details here.

Thanks Bobble!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

In terms of quick, you-know-what-you-get, chain-type restaurants Milano is a nice reliable place for a tasty pizza. In this category I also love Wagamama, again it's quick, tasty, fresh food and you know what you get before you go in.

For gastropubs the Twelfth Lock is ok, but Angler's Rest I think is way nicer.

Other places in D15 that I've tried and that I liked are Wongs (Chinese) in Castleknock, and Thai Garden in Blanchardstown.

I yet have to find a nice Indian restaurant, should probably try Jaipur as mentioned above.

Edit: Just realised why Jaipur sounded familiar to me...I've been to the one in the city centre a few weeks ago :) Really nice restaurant, elegant and calm feel to it, and the food was excellent...just a little on the expensive side for Indian food. Nice option for special occasions in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Oh God, Crackbird was awful the time I went there. Really didn't like it at all. It's a totally different type of restaurant to Nandos though so I don't think it's really a fair comparison.

I'm not a fan of Milanos either. I'd choose nearly any other restaurant in Blanch over it.

We are destined never to eat together - our tastes and experiences in the earlier restaurant thread were polar opposites as well!

Gaspode wrote: »
    We are destined never to eat together - our tastes and experiences in the earlier restaurant thread were polar opposites as well!

To be fair to Crackbird, I've heard fantastic things about the soy garlic chicken so maybe I just missed out by not choosing that. But yes, I think we have different tastes!

Another place I like is Douglas and Kaldi in Ashtown. I've only ever had breakfast there but it's nice and I think they do it up until 4. The staff are very hit and miss though. I think they used to be in Ongar too but I thought that one was terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Wow, Nandos is completely over priced crap. Doesn't take much to reach 20 euro in there. Cannot understand the attraction. Milanos is not much better either. Would much rather the thai garden or Diep at home.

It doesnt take much to reach €20 anywhere these days though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Gaspode wrote: »
    It doesnt take much to reach €20 anywhere these days though!!
    Except the food in Nandos is no better than mcdonalds or kfc. Would be tough to go over 10 euro with the latter two however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

i agree...dont get nandos...i like my chicken..but find it overpriced for what it is..and nothing special...Still in Swords its packed every time i see it so I guess they doing something right!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Actually yes had forgotten about Diep at Home - another great addition :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Ginzeng is where it is at , four items for around nine euro , lovely food as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I popped into Dante yesterday - 7.95 - very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

http://www.okragreen.ie/

Really good. Been there several times, never disappointed.

• Advertisement

djmarkus wrote: »
    http://www.okragreen.ie/

Really good. Been there several times, never disappointed.

Hi been there too - not the biggest Indian fan but my friends are and I like it. My favourite is still Maximillians

Not too fond of Milanos, was there with my dad and when he went to the bathroom, my phone rang (work call which I had to take) so I went outside not to disturb the restaurant and told the waitress I was doing this, and we weren't finished (only one slice out of each pizza gone). Table was right at the door, so I could still see her coming back and taking the plates (knives and forks weren't crossed), and left a bill for the full amount. Asked her, and she said they were gone. Said I wouldn't pay full amount and she called the manager who threatened to call the guards. For the sake of my 75 year old dad, I paid it. But never will go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

amtc wrote: »
    Hi been there too - not the biggest Indian fan but my friends are and I like it. My favourite is still Maximillians

Not too fond of Milanos, was there with my dad and when he went to the bathroom, my phone rang (work call which I had to take) so I went outside not to disturb the restaurant and told the waitress I was doing this, and we weren't finished (only one slice out of each pizza gone). Table was right at the door, so I could still see her coming back and taking the plates (knives and forks weren't crossed), and left a bill for the full amount. Asked her, and she said they were gone. Said I wouldn't pay full amount and she called the manager who threatened to call the guards. For the sake of my 75 year old dad, I paid it. But never will go back.

That was a horrible experience. The manager should not have acted so unprofessionally. I suggest you write about your experience on their tripadvisor page so that it gets more publicity. Head office management read about their branches this way.

amtc wrote: »

ongarboy wrote: »
    That was a horrible experience. The manager should not have acted so unprofessionally. I suggest you write about your experience on their tripadvisor page so that it gets more publicity. Head office management read about their branches this way.

Ah jaysis calm down willya :mad: it's a slice of pizza x2 and one side of the story of how the manager dealt with it (we aren't get the manager's side of the story /information on what was said to the manger). Getting publicity about it on the tripadvisor page ffs :cool: Oh come on!!!! :rolleyes:

Ps. As noted we are only getting one side of the story. I imagine the conversation did NOT go like this:
    amtc: Your waitress removed two slices of pizza I am not paying the full bill
    manager: I am calling the guards

Edit. See my further posts - I misinterpted the post

Ps. This is NOT to say I am okay with what happened. What a pain that the pizza was removed - that would have majorly annoyed me too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

amdublin wrote: »
    Ah jaysis calm down willya :mad: it's a slice of pizza x2 and one side of the story of how the manager dealt with it (we aren't get the manager's side of the story /information on what was said to the manger). Getting publicity about it on the tripadvisor page ffs :cool: Oh come on!!!! :rolleyes:

Ps. As noted we are only getting one side of the story. I imagine the conversation did NOT go like this:

OP said there was one slice gone from each pizza not that there was one slice left on each plate.

:eek:

My mistake!!!

Seriously??? They took away two whole pizzas with one slice gone from each when you had told them you were just stepping out to take call (and your dad was in bathroom)

I would have asked for new pizzas. And I would have thought the manager would be happy to oblige.

But c'mere you couldn't even have even been sitting there for long??? That is one mighty stupid person to have taken them away.

They charged you for two full pizzas when you had only got a slice each :(

amdublin wrote: »

I read it that one slice was gone from each pizza yet the waitress still cleared the table and then charged for everything.

Afaik Milanos don't sell pizza by the slice.

I agree with the above poster that a strongly worded review is called for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Nandos in the centre is always nice. I'll head in with my sister if we're around, at least I know we're getting decent food.

If I'm getting a takeaway I'll stick to Millenium in Cabra. It's far out, but worth it. I've never had a bad meal there.

• Advertisement

Thought it was clear - 2 full pizzas with one slice eaten out of each.

Actually you're right - I checked my phone, as I had rung my dad to tell him I was there (13.20) and the call that I had to take came in at 13.39 - so 19 minutes to be seated, ordered, and have finished would have been amazing!

Advertisement