Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network topology

Options
  • 14-11-2013 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭

So, now I have 200 MBit UPC, I figured Wireless wasn't going to cut the mustard anymore, so I ran some Cat 5e from the Living Room (where my router is) to the bedrooms, specifically the Box room that has now become a home office.

I have 4 Cat 5e ports terminating in the office, but I've already exceeded 4 devices in this room, so I got a NetGear 5 port gigabit switch - I'm just not sure the best way of using the switch.

Most of the traffic would be from WAN to a HP Microserver, and between this server and a Mac, and between the server and a media player down stairs.

Would it be faster to run both these devices from the switch, or should I keep these on dedicated lines to the Router? The other devices in the office are a laptop, a network printer and a Blu-ray player. Bar the laptop, none of these would be particularly data intensive, so I figure it doesn't really matter how these are connected to the router. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement