Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xp install disc

• 14-11-2013 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭

has anyone got a xp home disc as a lone or to sell,i have my own product key,i will pay postage costs,i have an old ish laptop that needs a fresh install

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

mr lee wrote: »
    has anyone got a xp home disc as a lone or to sell,i have my own product key,i will pay postage costs,i have an old ish laptop that needs a fresh install

What version do you need of Win XP I should be able to make a copy and post to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

sound,its the home edition,if you have a paypal account i can send you the postage costs

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

What Service Pack version is the license for? Sometimes the XP install media can be picky if the SP revisions don't match in my experience

Nick

not 100% sure,the laptop isnt running at the moment,i downloaded sp3 when it came out and i think it was about a year old at that time,on the product key sticker it says 2004 if thats any help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

not 100% sure,the laptop isnt running at the moment,i downloaded sp3 when it came out and i think it was about a year old at that time,on the product key sticker it says 2004 if thats any help

Sound like you want the disks (there are two CDs) for Windows Media Center Edition 2004?

Does your sticker look something like this:

o_XyuQav94U1MQ0Ci.jpg

• Advertisement

no its different,mine is mostly green colour with some purple and a slightly different layout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I have a copy of an XP home cd, but probably without any SP. Its a copy of a genuine CD, not downloaded. PM if thats any use to you.

The OP mentioned 2004 so its very possible they had MCE and not another version of XP however they prefer to look at colours on the COA rather than read the actual words so we still don't know for sure :D

If the OP has an MCE COA then a XP CD won't work with that key.

Knowing the make of laptop might also be helpful as for example a Dell laptop won't need a key to install the OEM Dell version of the OS.

sticker says,
    windows xp home edition
    HP
    laptop is an hp dv8000

That helps a lot. I can't say I've seen an OEM hp disc for any OS in a very long time, I think with HP they always made you create your own restore disc rather than giving them away.

The key on the Windows COA should be OK for any original copy of Windows XP. A copy that says Windows XP Home edition with SP 1, SP2 or SP3 probably won't be validated with that key.

So the one that bonzodog2 has is a good bet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

That helps a lot. I can't say I've seen an OEM hp disc for any OS in a very long time, I think with HP they always made you create your own restore disc rather than giving them away.

The key on the Windows COA should be OK for any original copy of Windows XP. A copy that says Windows XP Home edition with SP 1, SP2 or SP3 probably won't be validated with that key.

So the one that bonzodog2 has is a good bet.

The problem I have found that even with say OEM XP Pro install media, the Windows XP Pro setup won't accept a different variant of Pro product key and just through the invalid key error so your stuck in the setup. Worse still you've probably wiped the drive at this point.
    I've had this happen time & time again with XP, it's a pain trying to find working media for all the different configurations. I only recently gave a XP Pro user a OEM disc matching his SP version and it wouldn't work on his Fujitsu laptop. This was fixed with later versions of Windows

Nick

i done a fresh install,it deleted the old os and installed the new one no problem but i still have some problems with the laptop,
    when i turn it on i get the hp screen,then it goes black and i get a constant loud beeping,
    it wont stop beeping until i press the return key,then it loads up for me,
    where u type in web addresses on the browser sometimes i get this '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' the whole way along the bar,also some of the keys dont work and i have to press the lots of times and then the right letter might not come up,
    also at other times it might start beeping loudly when its being used but would stop,
    i should say all these problems were present before the fresh install,i thought it had viruses or something and the fresh install would sort it.

Sounds like you have split liquid on the keyboard at some stage.

Test by plugging in a USB keyboard if that works OK then its safe to say a replacement laptop keyboard should help.

Sounds like you have split liquid on the keyboard at some stage.

Test by plugging in a USB keyboard if that works OK then its safe to say a replacement laptop keyboard should help.

will that cause the beeping aswell?

will that cause the beeping aswell?

First thing I look for with the beeping like you mention is a stuck key.

will i have to open up the laptop and disconnect the keyboard or can i just plug in a usb keyboard and it will work

will i have to open up the laptop and disconnect the keyboard or can i just plug in a usb keyboard and it will work

If you just plug it in it won't get around the stuck key but it should show you if there are other keyboard issues.

i'l try the keyboard and see how i go,
    thanks to nava and bonzodog2 for posting me disc's

Advertisement