Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I didn't go to work today for no good reason, how should I deal with it tomorrow?

Options
  • 14-11-2013 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I was due into work at 7.45am this morning. I woke up just before 11am. I should have jumped out of bed, called in, and rushed in to work then. But I didn't. I rolled over and went back to sleep.

I work in a call centre in the banking sector. I was out last night for a friends birthday and probably didn't get home until about 5am. I was exhausted anyway. I've only just got up, at 6pm!

I find it difficult to really care about a minimum wage job in a call centre but I don't want to lose it either as there's not really any other options where I live. I've only been there less than 3 months.

I'm not into lying and tend to be upfront and honest but I'm not sure how to handle this one. What should I say to my manager tomorrow?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Bootsy. wrote: »
    I was due into work at 7.45am this morning. I woke up just before 11am. I should have jumped out of bed, called in, and rushed in to work then. But I didn't. I rolled over and went back to sleep.

I work in a call centre in the banking sector. I was out last night for a friends birthday and probably didn't get home until about 5am. I was exhausted anyway. I've only just got up, at 6pm!

I find it difficult to really care about a minimum wage job in a call centre but I don't want to lose it either as there's not really any other options where I live. I've only been there less than 3 months.

I'm not into lying and tend to be upfront and honest but I'm not sure how to handle this one. What should I say to my manager tomorrow?

Given that you didn't even bother to ring in, and depending on how strict the call centre you work in is, expect a meeting with your manager and a warning at the very least tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Say you're sorry.

Don't be surprised if you're told to go home and stay home though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Tell you manager not to check Facebook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Tell you manager not to check Facebook!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Realistically most people in your situation would just say they were sick. Its definitely the handiest way out of your situation.

If you do want to be up front about it, Apologise, say it won't happen again and to take the day out of your vacation days or offer to work a different shift.

To be honest though, if you want to keep this job (baring in mind you are only there 3 months) you'd be mad to say anything other than you were sick imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Realistically most people in your situation would just say they were sick. Its definitely the handiest way out of your situation.

If you do want to be up front about it, Apologise, say it won't happen again and to take the day out of your vacation days or offer to work a different shift.

To be honest though, if you want to keep this job (baring in mind you are only there 3 months) you'd be mad to say anything other than you were sick imo.

So sick they couldn't call in the entire day, but recover enough to be in work the next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Do you have changing shifts? Any chance you could say you thought you weren't rostered in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Stheno wrote: »
    So sick they couldn't call in the entire day, but recover enough to be in work the next?

I have to say, if he'd have been working for me and didn't show up without letting anybody know the whole day there'd better have been a hospital or a dead relative involved.

wexie wrote: »
    I have to say, if he'd have been working for me and didn't show up without letting anybody know the whole day there'd better have a hospital or a dead relative been involved.

That would be pretty much the only excuse I'd accept, particularly if the OP has a mobile and his work have tried to contact him, which was the case when I worked in a call centre and staff didn't show up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Not calling or texting when they woke up makes it much more difficult. I guess you could try explain it away with no credit or something.

Im not advocating people should pull sickies, but given the options that are placed in front of the op there is no good way out. The honerable and "right" thing to do would be to come clean and take whatever comes, but realistically in a low skilled job where your most important asset is dependability, taking an adhoc day off work within the first 3 months does not have a happy ending. If you are on the dole for the next 6 months, it wont feel like the right thing to have done I'd imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Just be bloody honest and contrite. In my experience honesty is looked upon a lot more favourably than trying to get away with an obviously lie.
    If you tell them the truth, and say you are really sorry and it won't happen again, you will probably only get a ticking off from your manager and nothing else will happen. Also don't wait to be called by your manager, go looking for them as soon as you get in

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Just be bloody honest and contrite. In my experience honesty is looked upon a lot more favourably than trying to get away with an obviously lie.
    If you tell them the truth, and say you are really sorry and it won't happen again, you will probably only get a ticking off from your manager and nothing else will happen. Also don't wait to be called by your manager, go looking for them as soon as you get in

As unappetising as it sounds I'd go with this.

I've had a similar situation quite a while ago where one of my team pulled a sicky (hungover, just like OP) and actually told me and apologised.

I gave him a bollocking for not ringing me (not for pulling a sicky, they happen in callcenters and if staff aren't taking the piss and are otherwise good staff,....fair enough).

If he'd told me a bunch of lies though (there really aren't any plausible and valid excuses for not ringing) I'd have crucified him, I doubt I'd have been able to get rid of him but he'd have been off the christmas card list so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I have just the thing op, today was the most holy and revered feast of the Maximum Occupancy. Note feast is biannually, do not use again until May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

This is also a chance to learn a few things that are obvious to most people who've been working a while.

DO NOT go on the lash mid-week. I've done it in low-responsibility jobs, and even there it ends up creating problems.

ALWAYS let your colleagues, boss, whoever know what's going on. This applies to a lot of situations (projet behind schedule, unexpected problems, not coming to work...) That way they can plan for the situation, and you'll look a lot less like a tool. Nothing worse than not knowing what the situation is.

In this particular situation, I'd be tempted to tell the truth, as going down the whole dead granny-no credit on me phone road isn't believable.

I'm guessing you're around 20 years old (birthday parties midweek), so if you show you're genuinely sorry, the boss might just chalk this one down to youthful high-jinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Atticus Jung

wexie wrote: »
    As unappetising as it sounds I'd go with this.

I've had a similar situation quite a while ago where one of my team pulled a sicky (hungover, just like OP) and actually told me and apologised.

I gave him a bollocking for not ringing me (not for pulling a sicky, they happen in callcenters and if staff aren't taking the piss and are otherwise good staff,....fair enough).

If he'd told me a bunch of lies though (there really aren't any plausible and valid excuses for not ringing) I'd have crucified him, I doubt I'd have been able to get rid of him but he'd have been off the christmas card list so to speak.

Sounds good if you have a half decent boss, but its a risk. If they dont like you or they have a chip, you might be giving them a reason to get rid of you, that, as the poster says, they probably wouldnt have if you gave some rubbish obviously-a-lie excuse.
    None the less, you don't have a huge amount of options, id say go with this and offer a sincere apology. You could even come out looking good in the eyes of the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Dont care what anyone else says or thinks about this but if they sack you be your own ****ing fault.

The amount of people out there at the moment who could do with a job and cant ****ing find one and then you just cant be arsed to turn up :pac:

Of course we have all been in similar situations where we were hungover or really not in humor of going into work that day but whos actually thick enough to just roll over and go back to sleep.....

If you do that you obviously dont care about the job that much and have very little cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭begod

You could go with blame it on the drink which I have been amazed at what people have got away with using this excuse and ended up having a laugh about it with the manager (Obviously depends on the manager do.)

or

Go to the care doc tonight and get a cert and say that you spent the day in bed, if you can get a cert for something which debilitates your voice like tonsillitis that would be even better and say you were so bad you could barely talk. I have seen this work too but with no guarantee , but hey you have a cert you have cert.

Being out of work just one day looks very suspicious do, If you ring in and say sorry about yesterday but I was so sick bla bla and I have a cert and wont be able to make it in for the next day or two but I promise I'l keep you posted. Also this way how pissed he/she is about you not calling in on the first day might of decreased slightly.

The main thing is to follow procedure, you fecked up on not calling in originally but follow procedure from here on in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

How many in call centre? Tell them you rang in sick at 9:10 am and left message. How's the head?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Just go in normally and act like nothing happened, and hope your manager will think he imagined it - like when Ted kicked Bishop Brennan up the arse :pac:

Serious answer - you could try an excuse of having to deal with a "serious family problem" (serious but private matter), apologise profusely and resolve to make amends. Could work.

Oh, and unless you don't want the job, cop yourself on in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Etc

Dont care what anyone else says or thinks about this but if they sack you be your own ****ing fault.

The amount of people out there at the moment who could do with a job and cant ****ing find one and then you just cant be arsed to turn up :pac:

Of course we have all been in similar situations where we were hungover or really not in humor of going into work that day but whos actually thick enough to just roll over and go back to sleep.....

If you do that you obviously dont care about the job that much and have very little cop on.

Don't judge everyone everyone else by your standards, spellling and punctuation arn't your strong points, people have different priorities in life. Live and let live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The OP isn't here to get lectured, there will probably be enough of that tomorrow at work as it is.
    Etc wrote: »
    Don't judge everyone everyone else by your standards, spellling and punctuation arn't your strong points, people have different priorities in life. Live and let live.

Less of that

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

It was obviously a stupid and irresponsible thing to do. The worst part is definitely not ringing in. But none of it was planned though, it just happened.

I expected to get flack when I started this thread to be fair, so I don't mind that. I do feel bad though.

So anyway, I'm not going to lie to anyone, that's not my style, my manager and the people I work with are all lovely, I wouldn't want to lie to any of them. I'm just going to be straight up about it, apologise, and we'll see how it goes from there.

Thanks again for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Don't worry about it op. Just apologize. Its a call center. I am sure they are lucky to have you.

Bootsy. wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies everyone.

It was obviously a stupid and irresponsible thing to do. The worst part is definitely not ringing in. But none of it was planned though, it just happened.

I expected to get flack when I started this thread to be fair, so I don't mind that. I do feel bad though.

So anyway, I'm not going to lie to anyone, that's not my style, my manager and the people I work with are all lovely, I wouldn't want to lie to any of them. I'm just going to be straight up about it, apologise, and we'll see how it goes from there.

Thanks again for the replies.

Good luck in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

You are right OP, tell the truth and be done with it. You shouldn't feel too bad or punish yourself(mentally) about it. Life is too short for that sh1t and it won't help you. Even if the worst happened and they let you go, life goes on. Its a lesson learned for the future, don't go on the lash when working the next morning. And don't be worrying about that stuff about hard to get jobs and other people would love your job, You just have to worry about yourself and not the entire unemployed of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Look the thing that really ****s employers up big time, and for which they have a responsibility to look after you for, and provide you with the necessary support is if you say "I'm an a, a a a a alcoholic".

If you can get away with it, and learn from it say 'Sorry, I meant to phone in sick but I fell asleep again and felt like sh1t and I won't do it again"

But you probably will, cause you're young and you'll do it again cos you love staying up all night drinking with your mates.

So what I'm saying is, remember when your back really is up against the wall, and you have a wife and a child to support and a mortgage to furnish, and you know that your drinking habits have finally got you in deep sh1t, remember my words...." I'm an a a a a alcoholic" .

You will have your employer on the ropes for at least another year, until they catch you shagging in the loos.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

In a previous job some years back in a large call centre, part of my job was answering the phone to people calling in sick.

The only excuses that ever seem to work with little consequence are:

* Read my schedule wrong/took down my hours wrong - honest mistake, sorry, bla bla
    * Nobody answered so I Left a message with random person/voicemail did you not get it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

They could always say 'da mammy' was supposed to call in but she forgot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

"Wait, I need closure on the anecdote"!

• Advertisement
Advertisement