Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russell Square (Tallaght) - opinions

Options
  • 14-11-2013 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi

Could anyone who knows the area tell me about Russell Square ( Tallaght ) - Found nice house in cul de sac that I would like to buy... but... something makes me worried about this idea.

Can you please give me your opinions - how living in there looks like and what can I expect there.

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Spidereq wrote: »
    Hi

Could anyone who knows the area tell me about Russell Square ( Tallaght ) - Found nice house in cul de sac that I would like to buy... but... something makes me worried about this idea.

Can you please give me your opinions - how living in there looks like and what can I expect there.

Thx

A kip. Right next to MacUllams / Sundale / Jobstown
    Search for them in the Tallaght Echo. or Google
    https://www.google.ie/#q=jobstown+tallaght&tbm=nws
    http://search.aol.com/aol/search?s_it=topsearchbox.search&v_t=na&q=sundale+site%3Aecho.ie
    crime.ie
    http://crime.ie/?s=jobstown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

The hubby is from Tallaght and he said DON'T BUY THERE!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Its not as bad as its made out to be ,
    Like every where its got a few small problems but nothing major ,

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Spidereq

Thanks for your answers - could you elaborate "few small problems" I've been driving around day and night... rubbish , broken glass, but can't tell if the glass is broken every night in the cars or they just didn't clean up since 2008 :) Knocked at few doors - normal nice people - didn't say anything that bad about the area.... but again have some conspiracy theories that they might been told by the seller - " "i'm selling if any1 asks tell them it's great here" Stopped Gardai in the estate to ask ... the officer dropped his jaw and asked if I'm serious ? Not in a 100 years he said - but again he is dealing with problem every day might see things from different perspective. My real question is - what typical Mr Smith who doesn't have anything to do with drugs and dodgy people can expect from this estate. What's the worst that can happen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Thanks for your answers - could you elaborate "few small problems" I've been driving around day and night... rubbish , broken glass, but can't tell if the glass is broken every night in the cars or they just didn't clean up since 2008 :) Knocked at few doors - normal nice people - didn't say anything that bad about the area.... but again have some conspiracy theories that they might been told by the seller - " "i'm selling if any1 asks tell them it's great here" Stopped Gardai in the estate to ask ... the officer dropped his jaw and asked if I'm serious ? Not in a 100 years he said - but again he is dealing with problem every day might see things from different perspective. My real question is - what typical Mr Smith who doesn't have anything to do with drugs and dodgy people can expect from this estate. What's the worst that can happen ?

Do you want to live in a neighbourhood or close your front door and not care at all whats happening on the other side?
    If it's the latter then you'll be fine there, maybe a couple of smashed windows/mirrors in the car per year, maybe you wont be able to leave anything of any value in your shed.
    If its the former, then that place isn't for you IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

If it's the latter then you'll be fine there, maybe a couple of smashed windows/mirrors in the car per year, maybe you wont be able to leave anything of any value in your shed.

Hmm, sounds like a lovely warm and inviting place to move your family to, very inviting.... OP keep looking I would say. If you have to be that careful about what you do with your property so that begrudging little vermin don't harm you or it, then there are better places to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

If Tallaght is your budget I would consider looking around Millbrook Lawns but seriously like somebodyelse said if you are not from Tallaght I wouldn't want to be raising my kids in West Tallaght. Not knocking people. We all know there are decent folks who live in these areas but all that it takes is one two families to make life difficult for decent folks. Don't buy in an area where you might end up despising because of a few bad eggs!

My husband grew up in Tallaght and it's only when you have experience of living in other areas that you can see the pitfalls of buying in certain areas. Irish people are usually very loyal to their own areas and sometimes don't see the negative side of things. If things go bellyup you are stuck there!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Gadfly Girl

Hi, I know this thread is old but just for ayone seeking similar info...

I know the area well, I'm not an anti-Tallaght maniac but I would not live here! Lots of nice normal people yes, but also lots of social problems due to poverty and long time neglect of the wider area. Shootings in this area before, although that is not unusual in all types of places now. Tallaght is a great place to live in terms of facilities (Luas/Library/Shops/Theatre/Hosp/etc) but if I was looking for somewhere in Tallaght I would be inclined to look at Old Bawn, Aylesbury, Millbrook Lawns, Tallaght Village area, Kilnamanagh ...

I lived in West Tallaght before and it was fine lots of normal nice folks but robbed cars, anti-social behaviour on the buses, damage to property/cars was common and regular occurance.

Lovely location if you have a view of the mountains in the backround... but not much use if you cannot relax in your own home...depends on what you're used to I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

My boyfriend lives not too far from there, and I spend quite a bit of time in the area and I wouldn't dream of living near Russell Sq. It's awful. I've had a bike thrown out in front of my car at night a few weeks ago and it nearly went through my windscreen. My friends (Israeli) were racially abused by the kids there during the summer. It was so embarrassing.

If you want to live in D24, there are plenty of other nicer areas. Even try out by city west, over past the shopping centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

... but... something makes me worried about this idea.

TBH I think you answered your own question right at this point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,444 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Knocked at few doors - normal nice people - didn't say anything that bad about the area

Asking the people who live there is laughable, what were you thinking? Locals have a vested interest in the value of their property so they are hardly going to tell prospective buyers that the place is a kip.

How will they ever be able to sell up for a decent price and get out unless they talk up the area and get unsuspecting mugs other folk to buy local houses?

You can't expect an honest answer from the selling agent who is on commission so how can you expect honesty from the locals?
    Stopped Gardai in the estate to ask ... the officer dropped his jaw and asked if I'm serious ? Not in a 100 years he said - but again he is dealing with problem every day might see things from different perspective.

Yes, Gardai deal with problems every day but in every Garda district there are hotspots where there is a higher level of domestic violence, unsocial behaviour, thefts from cars, vandalism and general contempt for the law. What that Garda is telling you is that by the standards of the overall Tallaght area, that estate is a dump.
    My real question is - what typical Mr Smith who doesn't have anything to do with drugs and dodgy people can expect from this estate. What's the worst that can happen ?

No, your real question is: 'I want this house as it's going for a song, wouldn't I be mad not to buy it?'

Based on your obvious lack of knowledge of the real world, you are in for a rude awakening. The local yobs will make your life hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Have never lived there but know a girl who is desperate to move out of the area.
    She's had her house vandalised and burgled twice this year and her car set alight.

You only have to look at sites where people are asking for house swaps to see the amount of people desperate to get out of the place.

Old Bawn, Millbrook, Kilnamanagh, Firhouse etc are all lovely areas in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

Sorry to drag this old thread, but it has some really useful information about Tallaght.

Would you guys recommend living next to the Square shopping center? The apartments appear to be nice and well priced, and wanted to get some opinions regarding if it's a safe area of Tallaght or not.

Thanks a lot!

Advertisement