Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torrents killing BB connection - UPC

• 14-11-2013 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭

I'm in the Waterford area, on UPC Fibre 20Mb. I've noticed in the past week or so if I'm torrenting anything large (1Gb+) and trying to browse, my connection drops. On the laptop over WiFi, haven't tried it over Ethernet.

Is this a problem on my end or a UPC thing ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Think it's a UPC thing, happens to me as well, connection just goes if I'm downloading fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Interesting.. Wonder have they taken a stance against torrents or is it a bandwidth issue ?

Could be that their crappy router can't handle the load. Which one do you have?

A very dated Netgear WGR614.

Haven't had problems with it before though..

ratedR wrote: »
    A very dated Netgear WGR614.

Haven't had problems with it before though..

Ah ok, thought you might have had one of the newer ones like the Cisco or Technicolor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

It is very possible that they have something in place against torrents but I would doubt it.

logik wrote: »
    It is very possible that they have something in place against torrents but I would doubt it.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I can still torrent, i just need to grab one at a time or leave the big stuff to a time when I'm not browsing. It's an inconvenience but I'm sure if they were to have put something in place they'd be killing it off altogether. Although is that even possible ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Pretty sure its your router, I used to have this problem years ago any HD files and my net would drop, I don't remember UPC ever having that router as standard? and unless your area is limited in speed i'm pretty sure you should have faster net than 20mb

Etnies wrote: »
    Pretty sure its your router, I used to have this problem years ago any HD files and my net would drop, I don't remember UPC ever having that router as standard? and unless your area is limited in speed i'm pretty sure you should have faster net than 20mb

I think they did distribute it as an optional extra around 2008 or so, along with the Scientific Atlanta EPC2203 cable modem.

Advertisement