Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP- no mouse working!!

Options
  • 14-11-2013 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, having a major problem here, hopefully someone can help.

Basically I cannot get any mouse to work on the win 7 login screen. Current setup is a g9 mouse, g15 keyboard and belkin n5t2e. There is power coming to all devices but none work at login, however I can clearly see they are being seen at boot- PC recognizes 1 mouse, 2 keyboards. I think it could possibly be a USB problem, I have tried unplugging everything and using a different USB mouse, no joy, I have even tried using a ps2 mouse, no joy there either. Is there anything I can do to get back up and running? Would removing the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes help? I'm in desperate need to access 1 particular file on the damned thing!!

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

riclad wrote: »
    try f8 safe ,mode,
    Hold f8 on bootup for 7 seconds till a menu appears,
    load in safe mode,
    or safe mode vga mode.
    OR try keyboard, arrows, tab key ,to acess login ,put in password.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/safe-mode-windows-7.htm[/url
    can you see a login screen on the monitor?

I have tried safe mode from a restart, will try a boot with just keyboard and mouse, see if that helps. It's probably worth mentioning that there are two profiles, mine and guest, but only mine is pass protected.

Yeah it gets as far as the login screen but then the cursor is stuck

Keyboard appears to be working fine, must be a driver or registery problem??

I FIXED a pc, in 2011, 1 virus, wiped out the driver files for the microsoft ,mouse and the keyboard,
    i just replaced the files.
    do a virus scan later.
    could be a driver or registry problem/

try downloading ps2 win7 driver,,
    or restore to earlier date restore point, ,using windows restore .

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/KEYBOARD-and-MOUSE/MICROSOFT/Microsoft-USB-Mouse-Driver-921540-for-Windows-7-Windows-8.shtml

you,ll lose ALL data after restore point date.

try the driver above.

• Advertisement

look in control panel,system,hardware, device manager,

is there any yellow icons,?

indicates missing driver ,non working device.
    is legacy usb mode set = on in the bios menu?

or try safe mode, directory service restore mode,
    it fixes startup files ,
    Does not delete any user files ,or data.

use Start menu, search ,to find the file you need,

eg song.mp3 , if you know the name.
    or search .mp3 etc
    or .doc , using the doc file format to find it.
    eg whatever file format its in.

Reboot pc, press del ,or f1,see bios, is usb legacy mode ON?

Currently doing a virus scan, will see if that throws anything up.

No yellow icons in device manager. Pretty certain that I have the legacy option on but will double check. Everything was working ok at midnight last night, the only new programme is unity.

if you had a serial mouse it might work,,

switch pc off before you plug it in.

quote ;

If you have problems with the USB keyboard and mouse, copy these three files from your pc (they are Windows' USB drivers):
    a. Hccoin.dll (c:\WINDOWS\system32)
    The following are found: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers)
    b. Usbehci.sys
    c. Usbhub.sys
    d. Usbport.sys
    5. Copy them to their respective locations via floppy (yes, I said floppy) or cd by booting to an MS-DOS prompt
    6. Once you have them copied – the USB keyboard and mouse will work (verified this today)

end quote ;

• Advertisement

use Start menu, search ,to find the file you need,

eg song.mp3 , if you know the name.
    or search .mp3 etc
    or .doc , using the doc file format to find it.
    eg whatever file format its in.

Reboot pc, press del ,or f1,see bios, is usb legacy mode ON?

Legacy support was AUTO, have changed to on, still no joy.

if you had a serial mouse it might work,,

switch pc off before you plug it in.

quote ;

If you have problems with the USB keyboard and mouse, copy these three files from your pc (they are Windows' USB drivers):
    a. Hccoin.dll (c:\WINDOWS\system32)
    The following are found: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers)
    b. Usbehci.sys
    c. Usbhub.sys
    d. Usbport.sys
    5. Copy them to their respective locations via floppy (yes, I said floppy) or cd by booting to an MS-DOS prompt
    6. Once you have them copied – the USB keyboard and mouse will work (verified this today)

end quote ;

Keyboard is working fine, just the mouse now

download this ,install ,reboot, plug in ps2 mouse,
    when pc is powered off.
    reboot ,see does it work.

http://www.radarsync.com/drivers/id159297/ps%2F2_compatible_mouse

should work on any PS2 mouse.
    its a ps2 windows 7 driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Have found on some machines (in a work situation) that when plugging in a USB mouse it can take a couple of minutes to be recognised.

Out of interest, have you tried plugging in other devices to the USB ports like a phone or external HDD? Also, keep an eye on the bottom right of the screen to see if any info bubble appear when connecting other devices via USB.

The key shortcut to access device manager is START+PAUSE/BREAK. From there you can tab or shift tab to the device manager.

If at all possible, see if you can download a Linux build and stick it on a bootable USB key, if the mouse works in that then it should hopefully rule out the hardware, but it could be a bit awkward to do only through keyboard commands :(

Let's know how you get on.
    Al

or try safe mode, directory service restore mode,
    it fixes startup files ,
    Does not delete any user files ,or data.

No joy there :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt_kQn3JmFU

Or try make dsl linux live cd,
    boot from cd ,see if mouse works on linux,
    iso file is 50meg, burn to cdr using imgburn speed options 2x.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

50 meg download.

Have found on some machines (in a work situation) that when plugging in a USB mouse it can take a couple of minutes to be recognised.

Out of interest, have you tried plugging in other devices to the USB ports like a phone or external HDD? Also, keep an eye on the bottom right of the screen to see if any info bubble appear when connecting other devices via USB.

The key shortcut to access device manager is START+PAUSE/BREAK. From there you can tab or shift tab to the device manager.

If at all possible, see if you can download a Linux build and stick it on a bootable USB key, if the mouse works in that then it should hopefully rule out the hardware, but it could be a bit awkward to do only through keyboard commands :(

Let's know how you get on.
    Al

Yeah I plugged in a generic USB mouse, it showed as drivers installing and then installed but still no joy with the cursor moving. The USB at the front recognizes an external hdd no problem but just not either mouse. Beginning to think it has to be a driver error or a registery error?

I'm pretty sure I have a copy of knoppix somewhere. Must try that.

foxerv1 wrote: »
    Yeah I plugged in a generic USB mouse, it showed as drivers installing and then installed but still no joy with the cursor moving. The USB at the front recognizes an external hdd no problem but just not either mouse. Beginning to think it has to be a driver error or a registery error?

Not sure if Windows takes marks regular backup points but would it be worth a go to try a system restore in safe mode back to a point (assuming there is one) to where you know the mouse was working?

This could be a waste of time as I'm not sure if it will undo any registry changes that may have been made.

Not sure if Windows takes marks regular backup points but would it be worth a go to try a system restore in safe mode back to a point (assuming there is one) to where you know the mouse was working?

This could be a waste of time as I'm not sure if it will undo any registry changes that may have been made.

I'm pretty sure I turned backup off. Stupid I know but it was to save ssd space.

Am booting with the Linux based recovery on hirens, see if I get any hop.

EDIT- and as if things couldn't get any worse the cd is knackered.

• Advertisement

just try safe mode,
    vga mode,
    it loads just the basis drivers.see does the mouse work.
    OR GO to device manager ,click update drivers.

I'm pretty sure I turned backup off. Stupid I know but it was to save ssd space.

Am booting with the Linux based recovery on hirens, see if I get any hop.

EDIT- and as if things couldn't get any worse the cd is knackered.

If you have a spare 1 or 2gb USB key and none of the other solutions are working for you then go to http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

Then download a Linux ISO, this will allow you to create a bootable USB key and is fairly easy to use.

Have had to use this method on some of the newer netbooks / laptops in work as quite a few don't come with a built in DVD drive.

try the dsl 50 meg linux, link ,
    download, if you have a blank cdr.

or heres a windows livecd,
    it s a mini version of windows vista.
    151 meg file.

http://www.boot-disk.com/screen.htm

http://www.boot-disk.com/download.htm

just try safe mode,
    vga mode,
    it loads just the basis drivers.see does the mouse work.
    OR GO to device manager ,click update drivers.

All drivers up to date- trying first suggestion now...

All drivers up to date- trying first suggestion now...

That didn't work. However, in safe mode when I go to devices and printers everything shows as what it should. Perhaps I should try fixing the registery.

http://www.google.com/search?gcx=c&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=windows+++7++registry+usb+mouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9D5ohHy2AU

quote;

PcGeekNotes3 months agoin reply to simon moodh

The correct registry filter should read "mouclass". If this is what is displayed then your mouse problems are not registry related. If it says anything other than "mouclass" then you need to delete whatever text is there and input the correct registry filter.

end quote

Latest update- the missus left her laptop downstairs so I was able to create a bootable knoppix- the mouse works!!

Has to be a registery error....

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/4230-registry-backup-restore.html
    you could restore registry from a backup .reg file,
    do a search reg,

or search for Registry Backup

its slightly risky .

Latest update- the missus left her laptop downstairs so I was able to create a bootable knoppix- the mouse works!!

Has to be a registery error....

Nice one, at least you can rule out a hardware issue now :)

Have never encountered a problem like that though, did you install anything just prior to the problem happening or did it just creep up out of the blue?

Hopefully you get it sorted and let us know how, will let me keep an eye out for it in the future.

• Advertisement

http://www.google.com/search?gcx=c&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=windows+++7++registry+usb+mouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9D5ohHy2AU

quote;

PcGeekNotes3 months agoin reply to simon moodh

The correct registry filter should read "mouclass". If this is what is displayed then your mouse problems are not registry related. If it says anything other than "mouclass" then you need to delete whatever text is there and input the correct registry filter.

end quote

It appears I do not have a UpperFilters reg in the folder....

Advertisement