Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Athlone

Options
  • 14-11-2013 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I am going shopping in Athlone next Sat. (I am from Galway) Just want to ask about the parking. 3e per day in the Town Centre is great but most of my business is in Golden Island. Its such a long walk up with bags & it could be spilling rain!! Can I park in the Golden Island for 3 hours for FREE & then move up to Dunnes for 2 hours. That is what I was thinking of!! I often saw cars clamped in Dunnes car park. Last time I was in Golden I, the fellow checking the car reg wasnt going around at all but it will be busier now. Thanks for any advice!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

hillbloom wrote: »
    I am going shopping in Athlone next Sat. (I am from Galway) Just want to ask about the parking. 3e per day in the Town Centre is great but most of my business is in Golden Island. Its such a long walk up with bags & it could be spilling rain!! Can I park in the Golden Island for 3 hours for FREE & then move up to Dunnes for 2 hours. That is what I was thinking of!! I often saw cars clamped in Dunnes car park. Last time I was in Golden I, the fellow checking the car reg wasnt going around at all but it will be busier now. Thanks for any advice!!
    Ive never once seen anyone clamped in Golden Island. I think that whole 3hr myth thing is just to stop people who work in town using it as free parking. If your shopping in golden island you should be fine.
    Not that I ever spent more than 3hrs in any shopping centre mind you. I dont know how anyone could

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

athlonelad wrote: »
    Ive never once seen anyone clamped in Golden Island. I think that whole 3hr myth thing is just to stop people who work in town using it as free parking. If your shopping in golden island you should be fine.
    Not that I ever spent more than 3hrs in any shopping centre mind you. I dont know how anyone could

What he said. Since golden island car park never is near capacity they don't really crack down. They used to hire guys who would ask you what you were doing as you entered car park but never did clamp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

You will be fine,never seen any cars clamped in either car parks that were there only for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

parking has been getting hard in golden island lately. Christmas shopping has started

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Thanks for all the info. Seldom I go there but I even saw the lad putting on the clamp in Dunnes. I wouldn't take any chances there but Golden Island seems ok but it will be getting busier. He used be there with the scanner, scanning the number plates. I love Athlone compared to Galway!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

hillbloom wrote: »
    Its such a long walk up with bags & it could be spilling rain!! !!

ah now! How is that a long walk?

ah now! How is that a long walk?

Probably a women in heels with ten more pairs in shopping bags!
    Id find that difficult myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Thank you Athlone lad. Thats the problem with all the bags & especially since we don't get plastic bags in the shops, one cant overload the paper bag!!

cena wrote: »
    parking has been getting hard in golden island lately. Christmas shopping has started

In the unlikely event of problems parking there, the diskin centre nearby has ample parking to cater for the overflow.

Whats the diskin centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

The big kind of warehouse between Aldi and GISC.

In the unlikely event of problems parking there, the diskin centre nearby has ample parking to cater for the overflow.

Thats for customers of the diskin centre only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

athlonelad wrote: »
    Thats for customers of the diskin centre only.

Judging by the amount of spaces available in there, they don't get many customers ;)

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Judging by the amount of spaces available in there, they don't get many customers ;)
    I wouldn't know how many customers they get or dont get. :-D
    I just saw a sign there once about getting clamped etc

My recommendation isnt to do with obeying the shops rules. Its to do with getting free parking (and not worrying about clamping) where there is ample space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Parking at Diskins is risky. It 's monitored by the same crowd that cover the car park beside supermacs and they definitely clamp, supermacs have signs warning customers about adjacent car park.

triskell wrote: »
    Parking at Diskins is risky. It 's monitored by the same crowd that cover the car park beside supermacs and they definitely clamp, supermacs have signs warning customers about adjacent car park.

Car clamped outside supermacs car park
    ast week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

cena wrote: »
    Car clamped outside supermacs car park
    ast week

Who's car?

Supermacs is a busy car park where space is at a premium. Diskins is not. The clampers would get feck all bang for buck if they traypsed down that far to check on parkers there.

Never say never but ive not seen a problem yet. Alot of posts about Supermacs car park..we get it, nobodys advocating parking there. Diskins is a different kettle of fish. Personally i park at it for most "last minute christmas" runs.

Who's car?

I don't know whos it was. I just drive passed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

isnt Diskins car park run by APOA or whatever the name of the clampers in Supermacs/Texas are called?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I live in the area. The car parks near Supermacs are monitored by Apoca and they will clamp any vehicle illegally parked. The car park at Texas I believe it taken car of by someone else. During the busy periods, Tesco and Dunnes my clamp down a little on people over staying their welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Clamping should not be allowed by private clampers

Its completely illegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

billbond4 wrote: »
    You will be fine,never seen any cars clamped in either car parks that were there only for the day

Don't park on the area marked at Golden Island 'For Employees only'
    You'll deffo get clamped if you do. :D

Advertisement