Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi very poor

Options
  • 14-11-2013 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi
    I took a speed test reading for my wifi and got the following results in the room next to my modem.
    Download 10.31, upload 0.54, ping 75
    I went upstairs two minutes later and took a new reading and got the following results
    Download 0.18 upload 0.19, ping 55.
    I had an eircom technician out last Tuesday and took a reading of speeds to the computer and found no fault. I have a problem on my PC at the moment with internet not loading, could this be a factor.
    Any replies grateful in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

How old is your house and how thick are the walls?

My sister lives in a house built back in the 40's or 50's, walls are solid stone / cement, she has the same lark as you, got to the point where she had to run a cable up through the ceiling so my nephew could play xbox live :)

This may not be the issue for you but it does sound similar to what my sis experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Wireless can be subject to a host of interference. Use something like Inssider to check how many wireless networks are in your vicinity and what channels they are on. Channels 1,6 and 11 don't overlap. Try and choose a channel which does not overlap any of your neighbours.

Also a single speed test is meaningless, you need to do several at short intervals to give you an idea of the average speed you are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Can I recommend inSSIDer to absolutely anyone with slow connections. It let's you visualize if there is any interference from other networks (neighbours wifi, baby monitors etc.), and gauge the strength of your own signal.

I was getting a very sporadic connection for a while there (often cutting out completely and then coming back), thought it might have been the network adapter in my PC. Using inSSIDer I could see even my neighbours connection was stronger. The answer was my PC was about 15 cm from the wall which totally absorbed the connection. If I move my PC away from the wall (literally another 20 cm), the signal is strong and connection is fine.

Advertisement