Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxus Baccata - Yew hedge

• 14-11-2013 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭

I am thinking of planting this hedge this month. The advice seems to be to plant in November as a bare root plant.
    Has anyone any experience of this as a hedge?
    Is the anything that I should watch out for when planting?
    Finally - any recommendations on whe to buy it? I am looking at gardens4you.ie - however I have never bought plants online before and would welcome some advice.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

had a look at that site. prices look ok, but my only concern is that it dosent say what size they are, so effectively you could get plants that are 6 inches tall.
    there are plenty of nurseries here supplying yew hedging.
    where are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

Based in Donnybrook. Have looked in a lot of garden centres with no joy.

Would welcome some suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

tullys just north of swords, have a look on their site
    www.tullynurseries.ie
    bare root will be coming in from now and they should have plenty of choice
    dont go off the web site for prices. they deliver

or

try flannery nurseries on a google search, they are in kildare, del to dub also

plants are graded in cm tall eg 30-60 cm, 60-90 cm, 90-120cm, etc, gives you an indication of size. hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭taxus_baccata

MLC61 wrote: »
    I am thinking of planting this hedge this month. The advice seems to be to plant in November as a bare root plant.
    Has anyone any experience of this as a hedge?
    Is the anything that I should watch out for when planting?
    Finally - any recommendations on whe to buy it? I am looking at gardens4you.ie - however I have never bought plants online before and would welcome some advice.
    Thanks.

Good choice! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

rje66 wrote: »
    tullys just north of swords, have a look on their site
    www.tullynurseries.ie
    bare root will be coming in from now and they should have plenty of choice
    dont go off the web site for prices. they deliver

or

try flannery nurseries on a google search, they are in kildare, del to dub also

plants are graded in cm tall eg 30-60 cm, 60-90 cm, 90-120cm, etc, gives you an indication of size. hope this helps

Thank you. Just looked at those - having a problem getting into Flannerys as it seems to be wholesale and you need an account to view products.
    Tully's looked exactly what I am looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 larryolaoi

Hi,
    I planted a bare root Irish yew hedge last March, It survived the summer, unfortunately I topped all tha plants when I put them down in the mistaken belief that it would help the roots develop (internet advice on general hedging)

I checked another website saying that you should never top yew hedged until it reaches close to final height as it stunts growth.
    I have a few spares in pots that I didn't top and they are taller.
    Have I made a balls of it? Will my plants grow?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭HarrietD

I got bare root trees last month from www.dyg.ie Very reasonably priced and really good quality plants with very nice roots and plenty of soil. They are based in Monkstown or somewhere like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

larryolaoi wrote: »
    Hi,
    I planted a bare root Irish yew hedge last March, It survived the summer, unfortunately I topped all tha plants when I put them down in the mistaken belief that it would help the roots develop (internet advice on general hedging)

I checked another website saying that you should never top yew hedged until it reaches close to final height as it stunts growth.
    I have a few spares in pots that I didn't top and they are taller.
    Have I made a balls of it? Will my plants grow?

Thanks
    Yea your plants will still grow, they'll just take alot longer to reach the require height and may need corrective pruning a number of times.

HarrietD wrote: »
    I got bare root trees last month from www.dyg.ie Very reasonably priced and really good quality plants with very nice roots and plenty of soil. They are based in Monkstown or somewhere like that.
    If by very reasonably priced you mean double the going rate, like the beech hedging for example, then yes I'd agree they are very "reasonably priced".

• Registered Users Posts: 20 larryolaoi

Yea your plants will still grow, they'll just take alot longer to reach the require height and may need corrective pruning a number of times.

Would it be worth consider ripping them up and starting again?:(

• Advertisement

larryolaoi wrote: »
    Would it be worth consider ripping them up and starting again?:(
    In extreme cases replanting may be optimal, hard to say without seeing them, but throw up some photos and we'll have a proper look.

Advertisement