Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is packaging required for waranty?

Options
  • 14-11-2013 11:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭

I brought a faulty car radio with receipt back to a store, but was told as I didnt have the box and a couple of accesories they couldnt do much for me.

I asked could the bare unit itself be replaced (they keep the bits and pieces from the new one) but they hadnt got one, and I wasnt even offered a repair!

I dont want to name and shame (just yet:rolleyes:), but how important is the box and accesories (audio lead, removal keys, fitting cage fitted to car) for a replacement/refund/repair under warranty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,081 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If an item is faulty, the box is not required - somewhere asking for it is likely trying to do a replacement and attempt a repair/restock on the returned unit.

Its a part of standard UK retail mythology (its not required there either), I've never seen an Irish store try and pull it but there's a first time for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

i can understand parts that come with it to be asked for (eg parts that are essential to the product being used or installed)

But the box shouldn't have anything to do with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

This is turning into something of a saga...

I was told to expect a call on Thursday, which didn't happen so I returned to the store today.

The stereo was taken off me as the assistant had to phone up for advice, during office hours, ie, next Monday or Tuesday.

By Tuesday a week will have passed.

I have checked with the NCA about warranties and they confirmed the above about packaging as outlined by the other posters and about refund/repair/replacement entitlements.

I'm getting the impression that head office dictates that refunds are to be avoided at all costs.

Have to say I'm not impressed by their customer service but not surprised either.

Looking online their UK stores seem to handle things far more professionally.

Aldi btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Contact them on their facebook page and the head office will get back to you. They don't like things that paint them in a less than glowing light aired on facebook next to their swap and save marketing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Contact them on their facebook page and the head office will get back to you. They don't like things that paint them in a less than glowing light aired on facebook next to their swap and save marketing stuff.

Never underestimate the power of social media.

I've not had a problem with Aldi myself, I've returned a product sans receipt on one occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

The mention of the small claims court helped.

Advertisement