Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to spend on child at xmas

Options
  • 14-11-2013 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Simple question folks how much would you on average spend on toys for one pre teen child at xmas i think anything over 300 is crazy unless its something really special like say a piano or a bike something that they will get good use out of then fine spend big but otherwise i think over 300 is to much or am i just a cheap skate opinions please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Different amounts depending on what you can afford. This year is tight for us but we are still spending nearly 200 euro per child...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Can get plenty with 100, people have gone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

Will probably spend around €400 main present is iPod touch. Big price tag small box! Few bits and bobs then to go with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    Will probably spend around €400 main present is iPod touch. Big price tag small box! Few bits and bobs then to go with it

This, there's a few main presents (Monster High Dolls and an android tablet each for the bigger girls) and then their stocking fillers (books, crayons/markers, colouring books etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I've a pre- teen, she's an only child at the moment and on average we'd spend about €300-€500, depending on that year and what she's asked for. In fairness she never asks for much, but I like spoiling her at Christmas, it's part of Christmas for me, seeing her surprised! I certainly think this year €50 or thereabouts will be going towards those poor people in the Philipines in her name, showing her the gift of giving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I've always been a bit stingy at Christmas with my two. My youngest is 4 next week so being so close to Christmas and seeing as how he will get birthday gifts I budget about 50 euros for him. The eldest is 16 and she will get 100 euros. Last year she did get a bit extra, she had her heart set on a Wii U and was saving all year for it and was short so we gave her 175 to make up the balance but that was to reward her for saving so hard. This year its 100 quid which for someone that age I think is plenty.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I spent 50 and 60 euro last year on my 2. (going 2 and going 4 at the time) This year I have spent 100 euro each on them,the small girl is getting a tool bench and tools ,a camera and a few little bits,the big girl loves dressing up and I got her 2 exceptional dressing up dresses and a camera and a few little bits.
    The boy is going 1 and I spent 7.50 on him ,he got http://www.hasbro.com/playskool/en_US/shop/details.cfm?R=0A9AC389-5056-900B-1008-7181103BE29C:en_US.

All my babies have January birthdays but never seem to want much after christmas ,last year the big girl wanted more lego and the little girl wanted a new magic wand for her and her sister:) I don't think I will ever escape with that sort of sub fiver pressie again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Last year we spent about €200, this year we'll be trying to keep it to around €100/120.

It's much easier when they are small. Big boxes for less money! When they get bigger and want feckin iPads and xboxes that cost a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I think I can answer for most:

"More that we should, or can really afford"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

It's all relative and there is no right answer. Some children get toys all year round, some only get toys at birthdays, some people can afford a lot more than others. People have different priorities and as long as it isn't hurting anyone it is really none of my business how much other people spend on their children, or how much we spend on ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It's much easier when they are small. Big boxes for less money! When they get bigger and want feckin iPads and xboxes that cost a fortune!

Want, eh? Think about Xmas as an annual teachable moment about not always getting what you want, and setting realistic expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Last year O was almost 2 and we spent around €70. This year we got our toys in Argos last week and spent just under €100. We bought 2 soft toys in IKEA for less than €10 and we're done.

I think we should take advantage of them being small and not asking for lists of things. I'm sure it'll all change once they start going to school. O has been asking for a scooter since holidays so he's clued in already!

endacl wrote: »
    Want, eh? Think about Xmas as an annual teachable moment about not always getting what you want, and setting realistic expectations.

Yes most children write a letter to Santa saying they have been good all year and what presents they would like?
    Obviously if they have a list as long as your arm you won't get it all for them.
    Our girl is ten and has always written a letter asking for one big thing and one small thing. This year the big thing is an iPod which is more expensive than when she asked for a bratz dolls car a few years ago.
    She's a good kid who doesn't get bought for all year round so at Christmas we are going to spend around €400 on her. And we can afford what she wants this year so why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Yes most children write a letter to Santa saying they have been good all year and what presents they would like?
    Obviously if they have a list as long as your arm you won't get it all for them.
    Our girl is ten and has always written a letter asking for one big thing and one small thing. This year the big thing is an iPod which is more expensive than when she asked for a bratz dolls car a few years ago.
    She's a good kid who doesn't get bought for all year round so at Christmas we are going to spend around €400 on her. And we can afford what she wants this year so why not?

Thats the most important thing. Spend what you can afford to spend and don't get yourself into debt at christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We've 4 yo and 18 month old girls originally mammy wanted to spend around 200-250 each of them but ive got the budget down to 150 each ,
    The eldest wanted a tablet just like her dads but no chance as much as I'd love to ,after spending a few hours in school with her I realised she loved art and board games ,so the list went back to basic's one doll ,a few board games and a storage box full of art supplies ,
    The baby is dead excited over baby Anabel tried her with other dolls and she just drops them Anabel or nothing ,
    Its a case spend what you can afford certainly won't be looking at new Xbox or PlayStation s ourself's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I've decided to limit spending to 150 for my 6 year old boy and 120 for 3.5yr old girl. I'll also spend 50€ on things for both like a globe, twister game and colouring books.

What really bugs me though is the spending on nieces/nephews and god children.
    I've spoken to sisters each yr about putting a limit eg spending 20€ on nieces/nephews and approx 40-50 on god children. We have 3god children and about 3 other kids we buy for.
    I get told I'm stingy and I'm frankly sick of it. I'm sticking to my limits this yr and if they choose to put it on visa or what ever good luck to them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I don't have nieces or nephews but there are about 5 kids we buy for for 3 of them I spend less then a tenner,smyths 2 for 20 toys are great.
    The other 2 I would usually spend 10 - 20 but buy them clothes.
    His godchild is 11 and I would spend around £50 on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We stopped neice's and nephews after our first was born ,
    We have 14 nieces and nephews and 2 godchildren between us ,we used to buy something for each child, until we realised it didn't make financial sense and the fact our two haven't had a present from our brothers and sisters ,

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

I have one son whos 12 next week so birthday first then christmas list, hes a non believer this year so isnt asking for much, he will be getting an ipod touch, (thanks to his uncle coming home from america!!) football boots rugby gear books etc..he doesnt ask for much all year and is very good so i try to spoil him as much as possible,(its just me and him) he is in man size in clothes so im finding things much dearer this year as in hoodys etc. i will probably end up spending €300-400 and the bulk of that on runners and boots and clothes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Malarkey121

I have spent about 500 already and will spend another couple of hundred on my 2 when I get to the stores, My daughters' birthday is the day after xmas she makes a list not for much but I get her everything and extra so as to make the 26th of December just as special as xmas for her.

Before anyone passes judgement I can afford it and it could be worse I could be out sniffing it up my nose or pissing it away...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I spent about 150 last year (first xmas).
    This year I spent about 100 but got most in argos 3 for 2 so saved a lot. She is 18 months so no lists yet. Actually found it hard to think what to get and with help in another thread ended up trying to decide what to get as there was so many great ideas.
    Have left a few things until her birthday in april.
    I have 1 unrelated god child which I spend about 50 on.
    OH has 4 nephews and nieces so we let the kids do a kris kindle where they pull out 1 name to buy a gift for.
    On my side I have 6 but its a but more awkward as my brother and sister don't get on very well, I have 1 child sister has 2 and brother has 4 so a kris kindle wouldn't work. (2 more on the way so will work for next year)
    Nephews and nieces varying in age from 19 to 1 . I spent about 25 on the youngest and will prob give the others money about 25 as too old for toys. Wish there was some other way but will definitely be suggesting the kris kindle next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

We opened up a direct debit account with credit union for €50 a month for the year, now have €600 for xmas present this includes presents for our nephews and nieces and our own, i know some people would not be able to do this in these times,but it doesnt have to be €50, could be €10,€20,€25,it all adds up in a year , I'm not getting on a high horse "look what we done" i know times are hard,but its relief every year for us to know we have money for presents, if we didn't do this i do not know what we would do this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Lisha wrote: »
    I've spoken to sisters each yr about putting a limit eg spending 20€ on nieces/nephews and approx 40-50 on god children. We have 3god children and about 3 other kids we buy for.
    I get told I'm stingy and I'm frankly sick of it. I'm sticking to my limits this yr and if they choose to put it on visa or what ever good luck to them.

You do exactly what suits you! Its totally unreasonable to be spending €50 quid on gifts when you have your own to be looking after.

I've only got 2 nieces to buy for, (no kids myself :cool: ) I give them both €60 bank drafts that are lodged into their accounts. This covers me for both their Christmas present and Birthday.

Its money that they can use when they go to college, buy a car, house or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Repetto

I've a 4 year old and a 3 year old, both with winter birthdays so they tend to get a lot from others around this time of year. This year I've spent €60 on each of them (getting 3 items each) and that's it. Neither of them fully understands the idea of Christmas gifts yet (I think), so I'm not splashing out. Plus, I would like to have a simple Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Plus a million there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Holy Moly I am getting away with murder it looks like! My almost 3 year old will be getting an 18 euro toy from Santa which she asked for, some sparkly gloves and matching hairclips from me (4 euro), and a new book from her dad (7 euro). Total: 29 euro.

Her grandparents, uncles and aunties usually give her more presents, so she won't be short.

I'll probably make some gingerbread men, and chocolate dipped marshmallows for her as well, although we will do that together and hang them on the tree.

I wouldn't even know where to start with spending 100 on a child her age, let alone 300. She has a bike from her last birthday, doesn't need another already.

6 Godchildren ranging in age from 19 to 2 will all get 50 quid.

endacl wrote: »

Do you have kids ?

pwurple wrote: »
    Holy Moly I am getting away with murder it looks like! My almost 3 year old will be getting an 18 euro toy from Santa which she asked for, some sparkly gloves and matching hairclips from me (4 euro), and a new book from her dad (7 euro). Total: 29 euro.

Her grandparents, uncles and aunties usually give her more presents, so she won't be short.

I'll probably make some gingerbread men, and chocolate dipped marshmallows for her as well, although we will do that together and hang them on the tree.

I wouldn't even know where to start with spending 100 quid on a child, let alone 300. She has a bike from her last birthday, doesn't need another already.

Lol I wish mine would never have grown up the older they get the worse they get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

gcgirl wrote: »
    Do you have kids ?

Was thinking the very same.

Advertisement