Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to spend on child at xmas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

I've spent about 120 on my 3 and a half year old, but I've still to get a few books and something small for her stocking.
    She has 5 aunts and an uncle, plus she's the only grandchild on both sides so you can imagine how spoilt she will be!

Do ye tell your children that all the presents are from Santa or do you say that some are from mam and dad?
    My daughter is very curious this year, just wondering how other people do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Everything is from Santa here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Our daughters only 18 months so it doesnt matter yet. When we were younger ourbpqrents got us new "christmas clothes" and santy brought the toys.
    Will prob do the same when she gets older. Or maybe 1 thing from us. So its under the tree wrapped up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Repetto wrote: »
    I've a 4 year old and a 3 year old, both with winter birthdays so they tend to get a lot from others around this time of year. This year I've spent €60 on each of them (getting 3 items each) and that's it. Neither of them fully understands the idea of Christmas gifts yet (I think), so I'm not splashing out. Plus, I would like to have a simple Christmas.

Lucy you! my 4 year old is an expert in christmas but she is the eldest,my 2 year old is also well up on christmas but they don't get much from one end of the year to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Oh dear God I am so jealous of all the parents that get away with spending little on the kids. 12yr old and 9yr old are both looking for samsung galaxy tablets. Fair enough but I have 3 little ones too 4, 3 and 9months and nieces and nephews too! The 4 yr old will say he wants a phone, a tablet and a tv for his room when you ask him :rolleyes: Can't wait til he gets older....!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Looking at some of the amounts being mentioned here is crazy...I do remember my parents spending way too much on me, but to be honest I'd certainly not have been unhappy with less.

One year all i wanted was Smackdown for the playstation, was delighted but I also got a whole boat load of other stuff on top of a new playstation...my parents went way overboard and certainly couldn't afford it, and now i tell them to get me nothing, or just something small they look at me as if i'm crazy and still spend too much and I'm 25...

If I ever have kids, they'll be having a more frugal xmas than I ever had, some of the stuff kids get these days is beyond a joke and would certainly explain a lot of whats wrong with Ireland at the moment if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    Do ye tell your children that all the presents are from Santa or do you say that some are from mam and dad?
    My daughter is very curious this year, just wondering how other people do it?

Both santa and us here.

She gives presents in return too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

I always remember when I was younger wondering why my parents were the only people that never bought me a present at xmas so I always make an effort to get him a little something for under the tree.

I agree everything should depend on parents situations. My 8 year old sons xbox broke after last xmas so we have held off to get the new one for him with a few games. Every year is different all he wanted last year was a 30 € piece of lego.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

foxy06 wrote: »
    Oh dear God I am so jealous of all the parents that get away with spending little on the kids. 12yr old and 9yr old are both looking for samsung galaxy tablets. Fair enough but I have 3 little ones too 4, 3 and 9months and nieces and nephews too! The 4 yr old will say he wants a phone, a tablet and a tv for his room when you ask him :rolleyes: Can't wait til he gets older....!

lol@ the 4 year old.
    The differences between the eldest kid and 4 and having much older siblings.
    Mine just wants a very nice princess dress up dress .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

We're going to spend 100 on each. We rarely buy toys for them throughout the year. If we do its for a very good reason. They've achieved something etc.

Toys are so expensive its easy to let it build up. Last year the 4 year old asked for an imaginex knight castle and that was about 70 quid. The bike for the little guy was about 60. And the rest was little surprise extras.

To be honest Christmas for me is that one time that you splash out. Its the gasp factor when they see what they got. And we're lucky in that all we've got so far they've got full use out of so it's money well spent.

Also, included in the budget is a present from us and a present from each sibling to the other. Thats all in the 100 allowance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'm still shocked to see figures like €4/500 a child.
    We'll spend about €200 each on a 5 &11 year old.

Yes bigger presents are more expensive but they are shared, they got a wii before but it was shared and only got small things along with it.

iPads are very dear for a brand name. We picked up a Samsung Galaxy tab 2 last week for €150, every bit as good as an iPad and substantially cheaper.

Ours don't make lists, ask for a surprise each year. But I know she has her heart set on a tablet this year. The younger one just wants a surprise.

Nieces ad nephewes we spend a tenner each. On phone credit for the older ones

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrBobbyZ

Also very much depends on the present.
    I always like to work out what my 2 will get from the present. For example a new Computer will cost much more than the average Xmas present but will provide a few years of usage and countless hours of entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i think it really does depend, here its toys from santa and one small present from us, this year it was a €10 gift set she really wanted that we got her, we will also buy her christmas clothes (for now- they may become a 'from mom and dad' present), as she's 4 it's currently more fun for us than her :D

last year we spent around €300 on our 3 year old, this year its at €200 with about another €50 to go.

she is an only child so its easier for us, we budget around the €300 mark for her because if we had two children it would be €150 each or if we had three children €100 each, we stick to what we can afford,

last year we bought her a €200 ipod and thats why it hit €300, this year we got her a lot more stuff (and bought it early as it is cheaper) her big toy is a disney castle that cost €100 (thanks to bargain alerts), we spent another €100 on small things and board games and books (same as last year), and we are giving an aunt of mine €50 to get a dress up dress and accessories from the disney store in NYC as its one she would love but cannot get here,

the general rule we have is pick one big thing and two small things and santa brings little surprises and this year she's getting more actual things for a little less money than last year,

in saying that she also hasn't received a toy since her birthday in the summer, and before that she didn't get a new toy since christmas.

she also donates any of her old (or new and unused) toys to the creche or at christmas to childrens charities as sometimes relatives can duplicate toys and being an only child she sometimes has too much to play with, she loves knowing she's helping other children who aren't as lucky as her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My son (5 in feb)is getting a bike and helmet and the Space Angry Birds game app on my ipod. And something (under 20e) from us. He is only getting a big xmas present because bikes are (IMO) necessary really. Everything coming to 150, way too much imo, but he only got 40e worth last year.

My daughter (4mth) is getting a playmat (€40). Not sure what to get her from us. It will have to be very cheap. I don't like getting them too much, it will really be tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

endacl wrote: »
    Want, eh? Think about Xmas as an annual teachable moment about not always getting what you want, and setting realistic expectations.

Good lord man what a horrible way to look at christmas. I feel sorry for your kids if you have any.

SeaDaily wrote: »
    Good lord man what a horrible way to look at christmas. I feel sorry for your kids if you have any.

The clue is in the name, Enda, It's clearly Enda K :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It really depends on what you can afford to spend rather than what you should spend. But it is true that as kids get older they want smaller and more expensive. As we got into our teens we might have eve just got money to go towards something, and still do some years. This year my sister,19, wants an Ipad so she will get money to put towards it.
    Younger kids don't understand as much that although things are small in size they were expensive or that the value of 2 presents for one child cost the same as one for them so that can be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm always amazed at the amount of people who buy big things like tablets etc for their children - and I mean children here, not teens. If I was going to buy something big I think I'd make it a family gift. Last thing I would want is a tween saying "no you can't use the ipad its mine" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

SeaDaily wrote: »

Honestly, I don't think spoiling kids rotten is a better way to look at Christmas. I'm a mother btw.

• Administrators Posts: 14,038 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I don't understand why what others spend on their kids should be relevant! I'm just curious OP, are you asking how much you should spend? Or are you just sort of polling people to see what others spend - but not necessarily linking it to your own spending?

My children aren't looking for much. I don't have a "target" that I feel I must reach for each of them. Every year, depending on what they want, I could spend €200 on 1, and less than €100 on the other... Just depends on what it is they really really want. This year my daughter wants a Cabbage Patch Doll. That's all she's asking for. It will cost me €35. She will of course get a few other surprises and stocking fillers - but I won't be trawling the aisles of Smyths to try bring her total up to that of her brother who is looking for a €70 Lego set (and who will also get a few extra surprises and stocking fillers) They usually get to ask for 3 things, and then get a surprise - but this year they're struggling to come up with anything other than what they've already asked for - so I've told them they can ask for just 1 thing and will get a few surprises!

I have friends who have a budget of say €300 per child - and they will spend €300 per child - regardless of what the child might ask for. So the child might look for €100 worth of stuff - and then the parents feel the need to bulk up the rest by spending €200 on stuff the child hasn't asked for, and probably isn't all that interested in. (One particular girl I know is notorious for this - 4 kids, and can't afford it. Always, ALWAYS, in March she has loads of stuff either unopened or barely used on Done Deal that she sells for a fraction of what she paid for it!)

Edit: Must remember to keep an eye on Done Deal in March for great toy bargains ;)

• Advertisement

I don't understand why what others spend on their kids should be relevant! I'm just curious OP, are you asking how much you should spend? Or are you just sort of polling people to see what others spend - but not necessarily linking it to your own spending?

My children aren't looking for much. I don't have a "target" that I feel I must reach for each of them. Every year, depending on what they want, I could spend €200 on 1, and less than €100 on the other... Just depends on what it is they really really want. This year my daughter wants a Cabbage Patch Doll. That's all she's asking for. It will cost me €35. She will of course get a few other surprises and stocking fillers - but I won't be trawling the aisles of Smyths to try bring her total up to that of her brother who is looking for a €70 Lego set (and who will also get a few extra surprises and stocking fillers) They usually get to ask for 3 things, and then get a surprise - but this year they're struggling to come up with anything other than what they've already asked for - so I've told them they can ask for just 1 thing and will get a few surprises!

I have friends who have a budget of say €300 per child - and they will spend €300 per child - regardless of what the child might ask for. So the child might look for €100 worth of stuff - and then the parents feel the need to bulk up the rest by spending €200 on stuff the child hasn't asked for, and probably isn't all that interested in. (One particular girl I know is notorious for this - 4 kids, and can't afford it. Always, ALWAYS, in March she has loads of stuff either unopened or barely used on Done Deal that she sells for a fraction of what she paid for it!)

Edit: Must remember to keep an eye on Done Deal in March for great toy bargains ;)

Same, my guy wanted a bike and an angry birds app for my ipod. He doesnt want anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

My kids, 5 & 8 get to ask for 3 things and a surprise. They get a pressie from Mom and Dad aswell. They get what they ask for 8 year old want's Nintendo 3ds (got it for €100 second hand with game he wanted), lego and can't think for 3 thing so told him maybe a second ds game (got it for €20 second hand). Little lady want's anything pink & princessy so I got her stuff on the 3 for 2 in argos and came in less than €100. Bits for sock's are colouring book's, colours, underwear, sock's and tubes of sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'm always amazed at the amount of people who buy big things like tablets etc for their children - and I mean children here, not teens. If I was going to buy something big I think I'd make it a family gift. Last thing I would want is a tween saying "no you can't use the ipad its mine" :)

If my 'tween' said that the iPad would be taken off her- forever!

eviltwin wrote: »

I agree, mainly because of internet access and unsupervised use. I know how to block certain websites on the router, but plenty of parents don't, and even if you do, there are still things you are not aware of to block, or things you don't want to block because the rest of the site is useful (youtube, or pinterest). I have been in a friends house where her 5 year old was showing me her personal tablet, with videos of pole-dancing, thinking they were hilarious. Same child had the uncensored version of robert thicke blurred lines video. This is the one with women wearing only nude thongs. Children can overtake their parent's knowledge very quickly with technology. I know it was mostly over the head of this child, but it's still not something I'd be happy with.

If I was getting something with internet access, I'd make it a shared family item, rather than letting kids access these on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We'll be spending about €200 each on the kids between Santa, small presents from us and gifts for each other. Our youngest might come in a fair bit under budget though as everything she's asking Santa for comes to less than €100 (was delighted she asked Santa for Lego!).The eldest (8) really wants a tablet to play games on but thinks they're too expensive to ask Santa for cos the lads in his school were talking about how iPads cost three or four hundred euro. Lucky for him, the Samsung Tab II popped up on Bargain Alerts for a little over £110 stg so Santa's picked it up for him, can't wait to see his face Christmas morning!

One thing I am a little worried about is that I know his Dad's girlfriend will probably be spending five or six hundred again on her 3 year old (got him a iPad along with a ton of other stuff last year). Even if we could afford that, we wouldn't be spending it as I feel that's too much (especially considering that due to our family setup and my parents being divorced they get large presents from 4 sets of grandparents!).

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ennis81

Hi everyone op here, my partner posted under my name as we were disagreeing how much to spend on our tween, she knows about santa and had asked for 2 large/expensive gifts, 2 small gifts and 3 surprises, I am a great shopper and got everything for €370 would have cost about €530 without special offers etc. I don't enjoy Xmas very much due to my own childhood experiences and I just love to see her face on Xmas morning and take pride in the fact she loves Christmas and her family, she always says how amazing we have always made her Christmas's. She is not spoilt during the year and I always do something for charity with her, the shoe boxes or the Vincent de Paul so she understands how lucky she is. Some of your feedback really made me think and I appreciate it, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

About €150 each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

pwurple wrote: »
    If I was getting something with internet access, I'd make it a shared family item, rather than letting kids access these on their own.

i agreed 100% with your post up to this, as it totally depends on the parent and the child, i know with my 4 year old she has her own ipod (its a wifi only device) i have password restricted all the apps she has no business using including downloading apps, it hasn't got internet access except when i am adding apps/movies/tvshows which needs the code or her dads laptop, and i restricted material aged 12+ (which apparently removed some animaniacs episodes and one spongebob squarepants episode i downloaded for her :o)

we check up on her phone always to make sure settings are the same as we left them and we will do this until she is 16 or new devices and settings come into play. so it really does depend on the parents and if its going to be good for the child,

in saying that on the other hand i have seen neighbours who don't know what a wifi password/phone passcode is buying one for their child who is the same age as mine, because if mine has one hers has to too,

you can tell that will be a disaster waiting to happen.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i agreed 100% with your post up to this, as it totally depends on the parent and the child, i know with my 4 year old she has her own ipod (its a wifi only device) i have password restricted all the apps she has no business using including downloading apps, it hasn't got internet access except when i am adding apps/movies/tvshows which needs the code or her dads laptop.

You're right. I should have been clearer... I meant I wouldn't leave them have internet access on a device I gave them. I let my little girl use our ipad too, but only her apps, and when I've 'forgotten' the wifi network on it.

Very few people lock things down. When my internet was gone when we were moving house during the summer, I was able to walk around outside and 'borrow' peoples wifi from the street, because they were broadcasting the SSID, had no password at all, or were still using the default eircom one. Their kids could be up to anything, and probably were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

With both children 4yrs and under, it won't take much money to make them very happy :))

Advertisement