Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocking a Small Vent in Room

Options
  • 14-11-2013 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

There is a small vent on the wall in my bedroom at home, beside the window. It lets in the cold air, not overly much I suppose, but when it's cold in winter you can notice it, and even sometimes when I'm in bed.

Is there anything you can get that can block them and easily unblock them?

I don't want it blocked up for good as it is obviously there to let the air in. Just for maybe when I'm sleeping, or if I'm using the room and it feels too cold from the air from the vent.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

THey have controls in my house so you can adjust them, have you checked this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Could you fix one of those vent covers to the front that can slide open and closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Stheno wrote: »
    THey have controls in my house so you can adjust them, have you checked this?

It's an old house, my family home, they don't have controls.
    djimi wrote: »
    Could you fix one of those vent covers to the front that can slide open and closed?

Where can you get these?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

vent covers in hardware store ,with ,open,close ,lever,.
    a few euro, or get in a builders suppliers
    GET one thats the same size or bigger than the existing vent.

riclad wrote: »
    vent covers in hardware store ,with ,open,close ,lever,.
    a few euro, or get in a builders suppliers .

How did I not think of googling vent covers *facepalm*.

Cheers. Do they go on the front (as in outside the house) or the back (as in the inside of the house side of the vent), and can you get one's that open and close? (Before I go googling).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Im not sure but I think you just screw it to the wall inside the room. Its just a plastic grill type cover that slides over and and back to open and close. Any hardware shop should have them and be able to tell you what to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

They're called "Hit and Miss" Vent covers.
    Otherwise you could get a louvred cover, and turn it so the incoming air is directed upwards?

Cheers guys, all helpful posts.

you can put it on the outside, or inside,
    whatevers handy for you ,
    I,M presuming its on a wall ,no higher than 10ft from the floor ,ground level.

GET ONE that has a small lever, it opens the vents ,or closes em tight ,
    eg summer leave em open,
    when it gets cold close the vent.
    some have a screwhole in each cover for easy fitting.
    or you could use glue to secure it over existing vent .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=air+vent+covers&tag=googiehydra-21&index=diy&hvadid=30289479473&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

riclad wrote: »
    GET ONE that has a small lever, it opens the vents ,or closes em tight ,
    eg summer leave em open,
    when it gets cold close the vent.
    some have a screwhole in each cover for easy fitting.
    or you could use glue to secure it over existing vent .

It's during the winter that you need them to work, otherwise you risk mould.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd add to this- its actually illegal under building codes and regulations to block these vents (and/or install closable vents). They used be commonly used- and until 2004 they were permitted.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,605 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'd add to this- its actually illegal under building codes and regulations to block these vents (and/or install closable vents). They used be commonly used- and until 2004 they were permitted.

????

why do you think this??

see page 7 here for definition of background ventilation

We own the house though.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,605 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

chops018 wrote: »
    We own the house though.

This only puts the onus for building regulation compliance onto your own shoulders and not a Land Lord.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    This only puts the onus for building regulation compliance onto your own shoulders and not a Land Lord.

I see. Cheers.

Advertisement