Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coffee machines - worth it ?

• 15-11-2013 12:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭

Im thinking about buying a coffee machine and just wondering if anyone has had one and are they worth it ?

I am overwhelmed by info on the net I just want same quality coffee from a cafe like an americano or espresso but dont know if I should get a machine with a built in grinder for beans. I would like to go beans if they are nicer and cheaper?

Is there much cleaning required with using beans?
    Anyone recommend any cheap nice beans?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

Jezek wrote: »

Hmm I just browsed through it one thing I seen was about cleaning a gasket after every shot? I would stick to my kettle and goldblend instead of so much cleaning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Hmm I just browsed through it one thing I seen was about cleaning a gasket after every shot? I would stick to my kettle and goldblend instead of so much cleaning
    tbh, if you'd say something like that, then a machine isn't really going to worth it for you.

Get yourself an aeropress first and see how you get on with that with some ground coffee. If that's worth it for you then look at getting yourself a half decent grinder for the aeropress and experiment with some beans.

Now, if after a few months you've stuck to using it and are finding the benefits, THEN you should think about getting a machine, but if you still think a kettle and gold blend is a viable option, then you'll have your answer. :)

A good coffee machine is an investment not just in money, but time and effort to get a good cup. If you're not up for that then buying one before you know that it will worth it could be an expensive mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

"Nothing that's worthwhile is ever easy. Remember that." -Nicholas Sparks

OP, your talk of instant and a kettle might be construed as trolling but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
    Vibe666 has given you excellent advice above.

"Nothing that's worthwhile is ever easy. Remember that." -Nicholas Sparks

OP, your talk of instant and a kettle might be construed as trolling but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I dont mean to upset anyone with my kettle comment :) but i am a coffee newbie and just want a better cup than the kettle job.

The bean to cup machines seem to in the miniroity, and for now I wouldnt be into having a grinder and a machine, too much clutter..

So my final question is would the pods give me a better coffee experince with the machine? I can pick up a second hand coffee machine for 50quid not that expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

OP, I have a grinder and Gaggia classic. I don't find it much hassle, cleaning wise, etc.

But if it really isn't for you and you want a no-clean, no-clutter coffee that's better than instant, Nespresso is probably your best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i would agree with SuperGrover, if you are a newbie to coffee but want better than instant but with no fuss, then the nespresso or similar 'pod' type coffee machine will probably hit your sweet spot for price, ease of use and lack of fuss.

pod in, water filled, cup under, push button and you're done. :)

i feel like i've been kissed on the head by the coffee pope! :pac:

Anything is better than inst*nt!

Get an aeropress/plunger pot/french press, a bag of fresh coffee and keep the kettle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

I would say for you Nespresso would be best. Getting into specialty coffee is not for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Jezek wrote: »
    I would say for you Nespresso would be best. Getting into specialty coffee is not for everyone

Nespressso machine is such a rip off. They aren't that cheap to buy and the pods are a ridiculous price. I have one of the first bean to cup house hold machines. And it cost me nearly €900 7 years ago. Last month it made its 10,000 coffee, yes 10k and I could replace it with a decent machine for about €450. A bag of segfreado coffee costs about €12 for a kg and last me about 70-100 coffees.

I can't drink instant coffee any more. Op have you considered a French press or an Italian coffee pot. They are both very cheap options.

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »
    Nespressso machine is such a rip off. They aren't that cheap to buy and the pods are a ridiculous price. I have one of the first bean to cup house hold machines. And it cost me nearly €900 7 years ago. Last month it made its 10,000 coffee, yes 10k and I could replace it with a decent machine for about €450. A bag of segfreado coffee costs about €12 for a kg and last me about 70-100 coffees.

I can't drink instant coffee any more. Op have you considered a French press or an Italian coffee pot. They are both very cheap options.

Hi, no i havent considered them im not sure how they work and yes the pods are expensive works out nearly 50 a cup or more, whats the diff with ground coffee? Is that better than instant ? An is that what i use for the press thingy? And is ground coffee cheaper than pods? As in more bang for your buck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Hi, no i havent considered them im not sure how they work and yes the pods are expensive works out nearly 50 a cup or more, whats the diff with ground coffee? Is that better than instant ? An is that what i use for the press thingy? And is ground coffee cheaper than pods? As in more bang for your buck?

Nepresso you have to use pods that are mainly sold in Brown Thomas and Arnotts( that says a lot). But you can get them cheaper online. Ground coffee can literally be brought anywhere. Like its about €2,20 a packet from lidl and its pretty decent for €2 something. Honestly I cant drink instant after only drinking proper coffee. Real coffee is totally different. Also millicano (the instant coffee in the sliver tin) is fairly drinkable, but ridiculously expensive

You use ground coffee for a french press. But its a bit slow to make. This is handier and comes in tons of different sizes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-Moka-Express-Espresso-Maker/dp/B00004RFRU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1384644998&sr=8-3&keywords=italian+coffee+maker

Tk Maxx often have them fairly cheap. A cup is very smaller in this sense. Ground coffee can be as cheap or as expensive as you like. Lidl & Aldi have nice cheap coffee(€2,20 for about 200/225 Grams, which is a like 25-30 coffees). But you can get more expensive ones obviously.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

All you need to do is spend €500 on a espresso machine, another €500 on a grinder, then €100 on a tamper, then buy scales, jug, thermomoter,timer,spend about 30 to 40 a week on coffee, start buying really expensive milk, dedicate hours of your life to practice and a cleaning regime involving weekly cleaning and monthly descaling and at the end of all that you will get some awful bitter overextracted undrinkable coffee. But yeah, totally worth it.

adrian522 wrote: »
    All you need to do is spend €500 on a espresso machine, another €500 on a grinder, then €100 on a tamper, then buy scales, jug, thermomoter,timer,spend about 30 to 40 a week on coffee, start buying really expensive milk, dedicate hours of your life to practice and a cleaning regime involving weekly cleaning and monthly descaling and at the end of all that you will get some awful bitter overextracted undrinkable coffee. But yeah, totally worth it.

Nescafé or maxwell house???

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I am not sure if someone has already mentioned this in the thread but IMO, the best price/performance coffee machines out there are the old typical caffettieras (i think you known them as moka pots?). Sure they get hot and they leak at first but they are great machines.

I grew up with them and they are great, very famous in places like Italy and Spain, cheap enough and once you get use to them they can make pretty decent coffee (no crema though). I think they are great for beginners or even baristas.

I have 3 or 4 laying around, I even have an electrical caffettiera at work. I would spend a few extra bucks on a decent brand though but that's about it.

Then slowly move up to the next "level"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Get an Aeropress.

Not expensive (around €30, iirc), simple and quick to use, seconds to clean, makes a great coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

hfallada wrote: »

Where are you getting Segafredo for €12 a kilo?!

Advertisement