Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French and Business in college

Options
  • 15-11-2013 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I'm in sixth year now and I am considering studying French and business in college
    I've only thought of doing French in college over the last few days and I am a bit worried that the standard needed will be too high for me to do well!
    I'd really like to hear if anyone has any experience of it or what people have heard about it! Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Dee15 wrote: »
    I'm in sixth year now and I am considering studying French and business in college
    I've only thought of doing French in college over the last few days and I am a bit worried that the standard needed will be too high for me to do well!
    I'd really like to hear if anyone has any experience of it or what people have heard about it! Thanks :)
    Can I ask you which college are you considering? Im currently a final year student in NUIM so I can give you some info about studying french here.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dee15

Paczini wrote: »
    Can I ask you which college are you considering? Im currently a final year student in NUIM so I can give you some info about studying french here.

I am still looking around at various college but NUIM would be one of the ones I would really like to go to, so any info you have on it would be much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Sorry about late reply but with the amount of work I have to do I just didnt have time to answer your question earlier. I'm just gonna give you a realistic view of studying language in University from my view. I personally love it but:
    1. It is really different to LC. You only have 3 hours a week of LC like stuff, grammar, written expression, aural and oral work, rest is just stuff like introduction to french culture, poetry, fiction etc
    2. It is a lot of work. Im not saying that its hard (unless you dont go for erasmus in 3rd year) but if you will want to get good grades you will really need to put in work. Im currently in my final year (I didnt do erasmus) and I have to spend about 10hours a week doing french alone, not to even mention my second subject.
    But I can also see a lot of positive things about it. I just love the language, I love that I have the chance to improve it, also right now Im working on my long essay in a topic of my choice so I find it really interesting. Also I loved some of my content modules, especially those that involved short fiction.
    If you have any further questions please ask and Ill try to answer them as soon as I'll get the chance to

Advertisement