Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French and Business in college

• 15-11-2013 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I'm in sixth year now and I am considering studying French and business in college
    I've only thought of doing French in college over the last few days and am worried that the standard needed for college will be too high for me to do well in it or enjoy it!
    I'd like to hear if anyone else is planning to do it in college or if they are currently doing it! Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I'm thinking of doing either International Commerce (French) in NUIG or Global Business in DCU.

Honestly, I'm worried too especially because although I have a flair for languages, I have a disgraceful teacher so I'm thinking others will be a far higher standard. Not only that, but there'll probably be a few natives too which will highlight my limited knowledge! It might be a struggle but after the erasmus year I can't see there being a significant difference in terms of conversation.

I'd love to hear anyone else's opinions too, especially those who didn't have any significant language immersion prior to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dee15

robman60 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing either International Commerce (French) in NUIG or Global Business in DCU.

Honestly, I'm worried too especially because although I have a flair for languages, I have a disgraceful teacher so I'm thinking others will be a far higher standard. Not only that, but there'll probably be a few natives too which will highlight my limited knowledge! It might be a struggle but after the erasmus year I can't see there being a significant difference in terms of conversation.

I'd love to hear anyone else's opinions too, especially those who didn't have any significant language immersion prior to college.

I actually used to hate French and barely pass it, until I had to repeat 5th year because I missed a few months due to illness, and all of a sudden, it made so much sense and I have been getting B1s and As ever since! My teacher for the last couple of years has been really encouraging and I'm worrying that she is part of the reason that I am enjoying the subject so much!!
    I'm very good at writing, but my oral is pretty bad and I'm worried that will hold of back!
    I'm still looking at courses but ill be going to college in Dublin :)
    I'm sure that if you are doing well with a terrible teacher, that if you are behind when you go to college, you would have no problem catching up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Do BESS in TCD as French is only a part of the course and no the core of it like doing Business and French in any university. If you struggle with french in BESS you can drop it and still get an excellent degree( you only do languages in BESS for 1/2nd year, but Erasmus in 3rd year if you are good).

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dee15

hfallada wrote: »
    Do BESS in TCD as French is only a part of the course and no the core of it like doing Business and French in any university. If you struggle with french in BESS you can drop it and still get an excellent degree( you only do languages in BESS for 1/2nd year, but Erasmus in 3rd year if you are good).

Thanks but I definitely won't get the points for BESS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dazzy123

Thinking of commerce international in ucd, or business and french in trinity. I love french this year but I'm worried too because I'm ok at french, i get b's and the odd c and I feel like a b is the highest I'm capable of without it interfering with other subjects. I don't really know how high the standard is of french in these courses but I wouldn't want to fall behind because of it ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

French at university level is a huge jump. It's not like in school where you have 6 years to get to an intermediate level, you need to get totally fluent in 4 years. I think a lot of people don't realize that when they decide to do a language in college - the main thing is you can't be getting by like in school by learning a few phrases with fancy words or complicated grammar, you have to understand it completely or else you won't manage the degree.

(Not trying to make it sound scary, just don't underestimate it! It's great like, just hard work.)

Advertisement