Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best web browser/ ad blocker

Options
  • 15-11-2013 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

My Mac has been running a bit slowly lately so I decided to some updating as I had 10.5 and it seemed to be incompatible with newer updates. . I got 10.6.8 (I know, not very up to date) and the computer seemed to be even slower.

Then I updated Firefox and it lost all my settings including my add-ons (only ad blocker) and everything is running smoother. I had some problems with Chrome in the past but I'm thinking of giving it a another go.

What do people think is the best web browser for 10.6 and which has the better/smoother running ad blocker?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Chrome is one of the lightest browsers, with ad blocker plus is what I'd recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Mr. G wrote: »
    Chrome is one of the lightest browsers, with ad blocker plus is what I'd recommend.
    Definately, Chrome + Adblock will fly along and also do 99% of your security needs on a Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rudiger2.0

Cheers guys, much obliged

• Registered Users Posts: 83,303 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I still don't like or trust chrome as a browser, Firefox and ABP are fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

There's loads of privacy issues with Chrome, if you like the browser then install SRWare Iron, its Chrome without the privacy issues, can see the differences here

https://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php

• Advertisement

That's what I thought. Don't get me wrong I like what chrome is up to, like cross-device syncing and chromecast etc. but I'm not quite a buyer yet.

Actually a good 1/4th of the time I use IE11 just because its there, and its friendly to touchscreens. No adblocking mind, so its the last thing I use to stream online video because of the #$%%$# commercials.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Overheal wrote: »
    That's what I thought. Don't get me wrong I like what chrome is up to, like cross-device syncing and chromecast etc. but I'm not quite a buyer yet.

Actually a good 1/4th of the time I use IE11 just because its there, and its friendly to touchscreens. No adblocking mind, so its the last thing I use to stream online video because of the #$%%$# commercials.
    Add block plus works with IE 11

200motels wrote: »
    Add block plus works with IE 11
    Not on RT it doesn't. And on other things I might as well use Firefox :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

jsa112 wrote: »
    There's loads of privacy issues with Chrome, if you like the browser then install SRWare Iron, its Chrome without the privacy issues, can see the differences here

https://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php

+1. Especially when you see what came out with wikileaks and Edward Snowden, it pushes me towards something like Mozilla Firefox or Iron.

If you really want privacy, stop using Google full stop. Bing isn't that better mind. Though for the average user I doubt he or she would care to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Iron uses DuckGoGo as its search provider by default, well worth using that even if you aren't using Iron. Occasionally I use the google SSL search too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement