Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ABN query

Options
  • 15-11-2013 7:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Have been offered a short term contract through a recruitment agency. It suits because Ive been travelling for the last couple of months and need to get working asap. However they want me to set up an ABN. I havent heard of people in my field (healthcare) getting paid this way but is this the norm if you take a job through a recruitment agency? They have said they will pay me $35 per hour with accomodation included. I am pushing for $40 but I dont think theres any chance of getting it. My gut instinct is that Im getting shafted by the recruitment agency but I could be wrong and it might all work out fine! Im also afraid of getting a massive tax bill in July!

When I get something more permanent, can I then revert back to using a taxfile no?

Cheers for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Just a couple of things on the ABN:

You are responsible for paying your own insurance.

Your are strictly speaking a creditor, if the company goes wallop, then you will be last in line after all employees

You will need to sort your own tax

You need to keep track of your own accounts.
    (Not 100% sure about BAS, if you are just a contractor)

It seems a wee bit fishy to be honest.

still $35 an hour would be tempting, just factor in any insurances you need and any other costs that you may need to cover yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Thanks, I'm not going to take it. I don't trust the recruiter and it just seems abit dodgy!

Advertisement