Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeast culture showing no signs of life?

Options
  • 15-11-2013 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, my first ever attempt at a home made win - I'm trying to make mead.

Made the starter last night:
    - sachet of champagne yeast
    - spoon of sugar
    - pinch of nutrient
    - 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice
    - a cupful of warm water
    All in a pint beer bottle, washed & sterilised with boiling water. Corked loosely with cotton wool.

Made it up last night & put in hot press. Looked like it was bubbling last night - but this morning no sign of bubbles. Disappointed - gave it a shake & went off to work.

What d'you reckon? Should it be OK, or d'you think it's not working?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I have always just hydrated the yeast, and pitched for meads, no issue
    Reesy wrote: »
    Made it up last night & put in hot press. Looked like it was bubbling last night - but this morning no sign of bubbles. Disappointed - gave it a shake & went off to work.

it may have fermented out the sugar and went dormant , you could pitch it and see

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Thanks Oblivious. I'm a bit worried that there is something wrong with the culture & I'll waste my valuable honey. If I lash in some more sugar, should that kick it off again?

...or am I worrying to much?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Reesy wrote: »
    I'm a bit worried that there is something wrong with the culture & I'll waste my valuable honey. If I lash in some more sugar, should that kick it off again?

...or am I worrying to much?

All that's probably happen is the yeast have fermented out the sugar, there is cell mass so go ahead an pitch it. You don't need an active stater, I will leave my starters to ferment out and pitch a few day after.

For the future, using dry yeast all you really need to do is rehydrated them for 10-15 minutes and pitch, simples :P

Advertisement