Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left turning lane cutting across cycle lane

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But what happens when the filter light to turn left os on red? This seems to be the case in a number of junctions around Dublin (5 lamps, Fairview onto Howth Road etc).

So you have a situation where the cars in the left lane are stopped due to the filter light. The cyclist is going straight on so can continue to go straight on as the filter light is not for them.

As they reach near to the junction the filter light turns green. Does the cyclist now have to wait for the car, for all the cars, or none of the cars. And I'm not asking in terms of avoiding an accident, in terms of when an accident occurs who is actually at fault?

In many cases the car does indeed wait for the cyclist, but you are left in a situation when nobody really knows. I contacted DCC about this and all they told me was that everybody needs to be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I turn left at that junction in OPs post every day. I don't know who has right of way but I always indicate left and check my mirror for cyclists. If there was a cyclist going straight id slow down and let them pass but there rarely is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

MadYaker wrote: »
    I turn left at that junction in OPs post every day. I don't know who has right of way but I always indicate left and check my mirror for cyclists. If there was a cyclist going straight id slow down and let them pass but there rarely is.

That is a huge issue. So many people using the roads do not know the rules/laws. I'm not picking on you MadYaker. I am just highlighting that in all modes of transports there are a lot of people who just don't know. Confusing design does not help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

That is a huge issue. So many people using the roads do not know the rules/laws. I'm not picking on you MadYaker. I am just highlighting that in all modes of transports there are a lot of people who just don't know. Confusing design does not help.

So what is the law in this instance. A cyclist going straight at the junction and a car about to turn left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So what is the law in this instance. A cyclist going straight at the junction and a car about to turn left.

As per my understanding which may also be incorrect is that if you are entering another lane (bike lane or general traffic lane) then it must be clear of obstruction and safe to proceed into it. If a bike is coming up the bike lane then it may not be safe to proceed. Obviously, indication is required before changing lane. Crossing a bike lane to turn left is entering it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

As per my understanding which may also be incorrect is that if you are entering another lane (bike lane or general traffic lane) then it must be clear of obstruction and safe to proceed into it. If a bike is coming up the bike lane then it may not be safe to proceed. Obviously, indication is required before changing lane. Crossing a bike lane to turn left is entering it.

So, hypothetically, in a lane of traffic, no cars can go straight at all as long as one car wants to turn left and there is a stream of bikes?

Doesn't seem as sensible as having right of way if you are there first, it's fine when there are a only a couple of bikes, but in the early morning traffic it can be unending, and nearly impossible to turn left, meaning you hold up all the cars behind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Thats why the car has to get/edge into the stream of cyclists before the turn not leave it last minute.

Granted that is hard to do if the cars are crawling and the cyclists moving much faster.

Advertisement