Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rig or New Card ?

Options
  • 15-11-2013 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Looking for some input, I was thinking of building a new rig as mine is 3 years old but then was thinking, it maybe more cost effective to just slip in a new Graphics card and save myself some money.:)

I am playing Bf4 on it at the moment on medium settings but would like to ramp it up a bit. I have a i5-750 running at 3GHZ 8GB Ram and a GTX 470 Windows 7 64bit.

So do I threat myself to a new rig or card? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Your CPU is pretty quite respectable, but age will have been much less kind to the GTX470 as tends to be the case with graphics cards, so you should definitely see large improvements by just slotting a new GPU in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kilroywuzere

I dont think a new rig is ever a bad thing, if you can pay for it but as already said you seem sorted already other than the oldish card.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Markjf

Thanks for the input Guys,

I was thinking of a http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-323-AS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1842

as far as I know it's more or less the 7970 renamed. Or maybe go for a 7750 and save a few euro and overclock it a little :)

either way I could stick the new card in now and if I wanted to build a new Rig after Christmas just use the same card :D

I do think the 8 core chips are the way to go in the near future and AMD are good value for money at the moment
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-336-AM

When I do do a new build my old rig will not go to waste as my daughter likes to play The Sims 3, but then I will have to get another screen ;)

Advertisement