Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Boy Names

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Shpongler

I like 'Rian'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Sleepy wrote: »
    Mad to see all the love for Noah, that was our name in case our little girl turned out to be a boy! Seems like there could be a rash of them starting school in 5 years time!

There was a Noah in my school, and never a rainy day went by without some reference or other to 'The Ark' :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

We like
    Alex, Dylan, Ian, Jack (but very popular around us) Liam, Marc, and Sean.
    When we were having our first OH wanted to use the name Billy (after his grandfather) I wasn't keen on it and turned out no 1 was a girl anyway.
    Now ive kinda come around to it but his mother is putting a lot of pressure on it so he has kind of gone off it.
    My mother then says she doesn't like it.
    We will probably keep quite anyway as it drove us demented first time all the commenting on the names we picked. Also once she was born we picked a completely different name. (no one said anything once she was born)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I love the following names: Art, Louis, Rory, Roan, Rudiger, Volker, Wolfe, Finn, James.

Other names that I like: Theo, Luca, Alaric, Ethan, Rufus, Milo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Shpongler wrote: »
    I like 'Rian'
    Rian is nice, but very popular the last few years as well. I know 7 of them born in the last year alone.

I'm getting into really old names at the moment... Tiberius for the win!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Some people have strange preferences. What's the story with the love for Noah? The poor kid would get an awful teasing at school. And someone mentioned Setanta :confused:
    Best to stick with traditional simple names in my opinion.

David, Connor, Stephen, Michael, Matthew, Colm, Damian, Brendan, Ian.......

There are plenty which aren't common. There's no need to resort to mythical Irish or biblical names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Daniel is my boy's name if I ever have a boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

We named our little boy senan, its the name of my parish, where I grew up. We now live at the opposite end of the country where my husband grew up, and nobody has heard of this name before. Its really weird when some people try to pronounce, you'd swear it was some off the wall name altogether!

Love the name Noah also, we also considered Finn and eli...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Some people have strange preferences. What's the story with the love for Noah? The poor kid would get an awful teasing at school. And someone mentioned Setanta :confused:

There are plenty which aren't common. There's no need to resort to mythical Irish or biblical names.

Know a few Noah's and none of them get teased...

If people (family) ask we tell them if it's a boy we're naming him Ichabod... we had a bad experience when telling the name of one of our other children and changed it at the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I noah few people called Noah. They don't get teased. It's noah issue really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Bastian, Jeroen (Dutch name pronouced Yer-roo-n), Josh & Mason.

I know a Jeroen. Apparently I'm the only Irish person who pronounces it right that he's met.

Most people go with Yer-owen, but there are heaps of folks who call him Ger-Owen. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

There is nothing wrong with Biblical names! Just don't call your child Jesus, that would be a step too far! Although it does happen!
    FYI Matthew and David are Biblical names.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm failing to see how a child could possibly be mocked for being called Noah :confused: Its a very recognisable name, its in the top 10 in the UK and the US and people are familiar with it because of the bible. Don't see any teasing opportunities at all :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am not a fan of biblical names but then none of my kids have names that anyone who does not know irish has a chance of spelling:)
    non biblical and irish are my requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

I actually love Casper but I wouldn't do it to the poor thing cause he'd be teased. Ours so far are Matthew Daniel Dylan or darrgh. I hadn't thought of Louis till I saw it there but I love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

My friends boy is Senan, I love it.
    My own is Rory.
    We also had Shane on our 'list', and I love mark but that was out for other reasons.
    Also love Charles or Charlie.

Husband likes setanta but I couldn't do it, on par with calling a child rte I felt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

liliq wrote: »
    My friends boy is Senan, I love it.
    My own is Rory.
    We also had Shane on our 'list', and I love mark but that was out for other reasons.
    Also love Charles or Charlie.

Husband likes setanta but I couldn't do it, on par with calling a child rte I felt!

Setanta was a name long before a channel used it. Not the same really as calling a child a company abbreviation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

We named our little one Sebastian. ..I picked the name out of nowhere and it just fit. I was so worried what people would think but everyone has loved it (or lied haha! ) and his namw really suits him!
    Sligo1 wrote: »
    Husband was dead set on Sebastian if I was having a boy this time. My mum likes it too. When he said it to his mum she said... "You must be joking!" but we love it. Found out we're having a girl this time tho so Sebastian or Jaime will have to wait :).

We named our first Thomas, after my Dad who passed away when I was 16. It's a little old fashioned and I don't think many people thought much of the name but it had a lot of meaning for us. And now he doesn't look like anything else but a little Thomas :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Setanta was a name long before a channel used it. Not the same really as calling a child a company abbreviation!

Yes it was. But now it's better known as the name of a tv station than it is a persons name.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Shabaz50

Fiachra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

detoxkid wrote: »
    I actually love Casper but I wouldn't do it to the poor thing cause he'd be teased. Ours so far are Matthew Daniel Dylan or darrgh. I hadn't thought of Louis till I saw it there but I love it!!

I bet Casper Van Dien doesn't get teased! :)

Loui-e or Loui-s? (as in Louis Walsh or Lewis Hamilton)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Conal was my boys name for my new baby but I had a girl so we went with aifric :-) My first born is called Senan so if I had a Conal people would have thought I was a freaky Senan Connell fan :-P

Also a lot of people didn't like Aifric but I didn't care because I loved it. If you find the right name you won't care what people think and when baba arrives no matter how off the wall the name might seem as soon as they own it, it feels natural. In short go with what you want :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I think it depends what type of names you like.Noah is getting really popular.What about Logan[not that im biased] its unusual enough but people can spell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Michael
    Tiernan
    James
    Aidan
    Luca

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

When I was having my son all the scans told us it was a girl so we got quite a surprise :D. We had no boys name ready but as soon as I looked at him I knew he was an Aaron so that solved that problem lol

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KarKar10

My son is called Noah....since he was born 18 months ago I've heard of loads of people calling their son that name! Before that I had only ever heard of one other Noah who is 5 years older than my son...typical!!

I had Mason picked out but a girl I knew got there before me, so hard picking boys names but you'll know once you see the baby what name is suitable.

I have 5 boys altogether and its hard to get a nice name. I wanted Jamie but his sister had her baby before me and took the name.I was glad there was a glut of Jamies that year.But the name should come to you when you see the baby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Our eldest is Dylan and we are a few weeks away from adding a Noah

My eldest is Dylan as well hes 18 and my God that year there was a lot of Dylans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Love Dylan . Top if our fairly long list. At the moment.

Advertisement