Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Boy Names

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

we are looking at Alexander . was to be Rebecca but then we had a scan;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2 CarinaKate

Go for "real" names which will become unusual when they grow up! John. Ciaran. Aidan. Cillian. Ronan. James (not Jimmy) Luke. Dermot. Tim. Vincent. Thomas. Declan.Cormac etc. Don't forget people are judged (even subconciously) by their names regarding Jobs, College applications & even grades! I think they're was a study done on this...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

CarinaKate wrote: »
    Go for "real" names which will become unusual when they grow up! John. Ciaran. Aidan. Cillian. Ronan. James (not Jimmy) Luke. Dermot. Tim. Vincent. Thomas. Declan.Cormac etc. Don't forget people are judged (even subconciously) by their names regarding Jobs, College applications & even grades! I think they're was a study done on this...
    What exactly is a 'real' name :confused::confused::confused: I don't think there has been any off the wall names suggested in this thread that would lead to people being judged in future. Names are changing, who knows what the landscape will be like in 20-25 odd years when our babies are entering the work force. There will be such a large amount of children born to non Irish nationals, that I would imagine there will be lots of unusual or different names out there.

I think boys names are tough, I have a list of girls names, but am struggling for a boys name. I went through a phase of liking Elliot, but I have gone off it a little. My mothers reaction when I told her was enough to sour me a little :rolleyes:. I like Irish names, I currently like Fiachra as it is not too common. I also like good old fashioned Edward, so a bit of a mixed bag really!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

ncmc wrote: »
    What exactly is a 'real' name :confused::confused::confused: I don't think there has been any off the wall names suggested in this thread that would lead to people being judged in future. !

I don't agree. I think a name and then the accent generate the 2nd/3rd impressions we make of people - rightly or wrongly. There are plenty of names on here that lead me to question what people are thinking?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

CaraMay wrote: »
    I don't agree. I think a name and then the accent generate the 2nd/3rd impressions we make of people - rightly or wrongly. There are plenty of names on here that lead me to question what people are thinking?..

Unless it was a name like Flopsy Fannyfeather, North West or Blue Bear.... Then id be questioning whether those people judging were really all that important or needed at all in ones life....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Unless it was a name like Flopsy Fannyfeather, North West or Blue Bear.... Then id be questioning whether those people judging were really all that important or needed at all in ones life....

Well that to me would be a very naive viewpoint. Like it or not we are all judged by our names, clothes, accent etc every single day. No point believing otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

CaraMay wrote: »
    Well that to me would be a very naive viewpoint. Like it or not we are all judged by our names, clothes, accent etc every single day. No point believing otherwise.

Ah yes, I remember those people. I remember the teacher when I was in first year of secondary school after moving from another country. The teacher who was forever telling me I was not pronouncing words and speaking 'correctly'. That "ten out of ten is not pronounced tin out of tin!" English was my first language btw.

And yes I remember those silly people in school judging me on the way I dressed. Wearing jeans and suncaps instead of Kappa tracksuit bottoms.

I remember the silly work colleagues who made me think I was not able for work in this country having done my primary degree in my country of birth.

You know what... Right now, Im more qualified and in a higher position in work and imho in life than any of those people who judged me! Im not being conceited here. I worked bloody hard to be where I am today. But you know what... when push came to shove, none of that other crap mattered.

Yes I can see where you're coming from in regards to being judged on clothes, names etc. But unless the way you dress, you speak or your name is so outlandish.... its not actually going to matter. All im speaking from is my experience. Maybe im just lucky. But its something I feel quite passionately about due to being in that position with those silly people. Of course wear a suit to an interview. Of course articulate things as best you can. And of course don't call your child Flopsy Fannyfeather. But in the grand scheme of things as I have said, unless these things are beyond beyond normal... people who matter will look to what the PERSON really is behind all the crap, whether it be employers, family, friends, teachers or otherwise.

And Im not going to say anymore because ive argued this point before and got bombarded with people disagreeing... Which is fair enough. That's their opinion... this is only mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Suucee wrote: »
    We like
    Alex, Dylan, Ian, Jack (but very popular around us) Liam, Marc, and Sean.
    :D:D
    Every time I see Marc spelled like this I'm reminded of a friend of my sisters who told someone his name was Marc with a C and they said 'What, Carc?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

we just registered Alexander in lombard st without issue and we can phone the dept of social welfare on mMonday for his pps. it's 10 days to get it by post

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Ah yes, I remember those people. I remember the teacher when I was in first year of secondary school after moving from another country. The teacher who was forever telling me I was not pronouncing words and speaking 'correctly'. That "ten out of ten is not pronounced tin out of tin!" English was my first language btw.

And yes I remember those silly people in school judging me on the way I dressed. Wearing jeans and suncaps instead of Kappa tracksuit bottoms.

I remember the silly work colleagues who made me think I was not able for work in this country having done my primary degree in my country of birth.

You know what... Right now, Im more qualified and in a higher position in work and imho in life than any of those people who judged me! Im not being conceited here. I worked bloody hard to be where I am today. But you know what... when push came to shove, none of that other crap mattered.

Yes I can see where you're coming from in regards to being judged on clothes, names etc. But unless the way you dress, you speak or your name is so outlandish.... its not actually going to matter. All im speaking from is my experience. Maybe im just lucky. But its something I feel quite passionately about due to being in that position with those silly people. Of course wear a suit to an interview. Of course articulate things as best you can. And of course don't call your child Flopsy Fannyfeather. But in the grand scheme of things as I have said, unless these things are beyond beyond normal... people who matter will look to what the PERSON really is behind all the crap, whether it be employers, family, friends, teachers or otherwise.

And Im not going to say anymore because ive argued this point before and got bombarded with people disagreeing... Which is fair enough. That's their opinion... this is only mine.

Well said Sligo1, +1 on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

paperclip2 wrote: »
    :D:D
    Every time I see Marc spelled like this I'm reminded of a friend of my sisters who told someone his name was Marc with a C and they said 'What, Carc?'

Ha ha yea never thought about that . Thats the way id spell it normally or ask is it c or k.
    I have a fairly easy normal name so never had anything like this. OH always has to spell his name otherwise its spelt wrong. I think thats why he prefers more simple names.
    At the moment theres no names that really stand out to me though. Theres no name i reallyreally love. I suppose once i see him ill know.

Advertisement