Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auctioneer Sputter

• 15-11-2013 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

An insight into the warped mindset of Auctioneers and their attitude to offers...

This article has me vexxed, ...with the amount of pre-assumptions and boom time thinking... Jaysas.

Article

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭caew

There is nothing but contempt for the buyer in the article.

Clearly has never heard that a house is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Making the assumption a low ball offer is chancing their arm rather than based on research or comparitive to other houses.

Assuming the buyer has an emotional attachment, most are driven by price not emotion.

The fact that it is mentioned the house is up for 399 and the market value is 385 shows the games auctioneers play with pricing. We should take from that article that buyers are right to go in lower than asking as its not true market value.

I could go on but I am getting annoyed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

ArraMusha wrote: »
    An insight into the warped mindset of Auctioneers and their attitude to offers...

This article has me vexxed, ...with the amount of pre-assumptions and boom time thinking... Jaysas.

Article

Huh ? There's nothing wrong with that. It's just a negotiation strategy. They're paid by the seller to get the best price for the property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Huh ? There's nothing wrong with that. It's just a negotiation strategy. They're paid by the seller to get the best price for the property.

Huh? They (auctioneer) send the link to all contacts including potential buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭cali_eire

This is just an auctioneer trying to prepare sellers for the potential of low offers coming in on their home and trying to help would be sellers understand and deal with that scenario. Many sellers will take a low offer in an offensive manner and this blog post is simply trying to interject some pause, strategy and reason. In Ireland, the auctioneer represents the seller in a transaction. The buyer represents themselves except in rare instances where they use someone like Buyer's Broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

I don't see what is so offensive about this article at all. Its about negotiation tactics and the Author as an estate agent hired by the Seller and is of course on the sellers side.

I wouldn't agree with every thing they say but nothing massively controversial in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭whippet

nothing really wrong in that blog.

If I was paying an EA to sell my house i'd expect him to do everything in his power to get the most for it.

Likewise when I am buying a house i'd expect to buy at the lowest price possible.

negotiating is a skill in its own right, there are people out there who can't haggle and at the other extreme of the spectrum there are people who just have to haggle over everything (i'm thinking begged in the Life of Brian)

If I was buying a house in Galway I would be steering away from viewing houses listed with her. Although maybe you would be at an advantage knowing she has listed them too high in the first place and now have an insight into how she works.
    But seeing how she has houses listed on Daft since 2007 :eek: her advice maybe doesn't always result in success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

caew wrote: »
    If I was buying a house in Galway I would be steering away from viewing houses listed with her. Although maybe you would be at an advantage knowing she has listed them too high in the first place and now have an insight into how she works.
    But seeing how she has houses listed on Daft since 2007 :eek: her advice maybe doesn't always result in success.

How can you see how long houses have been listed for? I had a look and her properties were all listed/renewed 3 days ago... just wondering cos it would be handy to know how long properties have been on sale for.

If you sort by date entered it will pop up the first day it was listed.

Advertisement