Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maple vs Matlab

• 15-11-2013 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

I am doing some pretty basic graphing of data from a file and since I'm slightly more familiar with Maple and quite like the document style over Matlab's comand prompt style I used it but even for modest datasets it's irritatingly slow.

Before starting to type it all up in Matlab instead I wonder if anyone who as used both can tell me if Matlab is likely to be faster?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

As a general rule, and it may not be as relevant as it used to be, but I'd tend to say Maple is the best for symbolic calculations, and MATLAB is the best for numerical computations and graphing purposes.

Unless your data set is really large, I'd say MATLAB will be very quick indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

As a general rule, and it may not be as relevant as it used to be, but I'd tend to say Maple is the best for symbolic calculations, and MATLAB is the best for numerical computations and graphing purposes.

Unless your data set is really large, I'd say MATLAB will be very quick indeed.

I'll throw another contender in the mix - the entirely free and open source Sage (http://www.sagemath.org/). It's very powerful and if you code in Python it will be a very familiar environment. However Python knowledge is not necessary to use it. I have been playing with it recently and I like it. It also has the advantage that if you code in Python then you already can incorporate directly into your scripts.

Ultimately its free and open source and thus will inevitably be better than non free stuff like Maple/Mathematica/MATLAB. In my opinion it is already far superior to Maple. I had to teach a class on Maple just recently and I think that it is an abomination - however that is just my opinion, I know some people who like it.

Advertisement