Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which pub did he own

Options
  • 15-11-2013 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am hoping that the Boardies in depth knowledge can help me track down two people (not in a sinister way). Apologies if this is a bit disjointed.

Basically, I am doing family research, and have come to one of many dead ends. A number of family members were in the pub trade as publicans/landlords, and I am trying to track down the remaining two. They were both active as publicans in the 1930s and 1940s.

One was Joseph M(a)cEntee, from King Street, Belfast, who ran a pub on the same street. The pub could well have been his father's (James M(a)cEntee) pub, which had been there for about 50 years.

The other person was James M(a)cEntee, also from King Street, Belfast, but ran a pub in Dublin. The pub was definitely in operation in 1944. Also, he was also probably a widower from an early age, with a young daughter (no idea if he remarried).

Other information that might help include that their brother was Charles MacEntee, who ran the Crown pub in Belfast. Another brother was the FF TD, Sean MacEntee, while a sister was married to a publican, possibly in Coalisland, Tyrone.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

(Mods please move if you feel it is better suited elsewhere)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you visited/contacted the Dublin City Collection, upstairs in Pearse Street library? They have Thom's directories going back to 1800 or so and will certainly have them covering the 30s and 40s.

The Electoral rolls of 1938 may also help (small download needed to view files) http://www.dublinheritage.ie/electoral/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

I was in there this week looking around. Will go back in next week and spend a day or two looking at their information.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They're very helpful. They may even know of pub trade publications that may be of interest.

Advertisement