Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant wild jumping

• 15-11-2013 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

My pup is now about 18 months old. He is a total pet and never has shown any aggression unless provoked by other dogs.

Now, every day once I come home from work, its a wild celebration for him. I try not to reward this by not acknowledging him until he eventually sits down. Even then, his entire body is almost shaking with excitement and will take the quickest opportunity to jump again. I try just rubbing him while he is siting down and saying "calm" to him and eventually he gives in and takes the rubs.

Then the wife comes home and all hell breaks lose again.

And god help us if we have visitors. The over enthusiasm might be funny to us, but to guests an awful lot less so. If we just put him in the kitchen he will whinge the house down, if we let him in the room with us, he will not stop jumping and bumping etc regardless of how many rubs and "calms" he gets.

I have tried pre empting by having his Kong ready at most times, but he will lose interest in it immediately.

None of this is new behaviour, nor is our reactions. His jumping has very rarely been rewarded (maybe the fact it has been rewarded on a few occasions long ago in his life terms is the issue?). Just wondering does anyone have any suggestions on how to train this out of him or experience of a similar situation in the past?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Keep going with insisting he sits before he's greeted, rewarding him for a while with regular food treats, making them less regularly random as time goes on.
    I'd bet my bottom dollar that he often gets a reaction from people when he gets excited and jumps up on them, no? Maybe you ignore him, but I'm guessing visitors laugh, or shriek, or jump back? That'd be more than enough to sustain the jumping and excitement.
    Don't be afraid to use the door, or to insist your guests use the door: the second he jumps, they disappear out said door. Every time.
    You also need to "proof" him to shrieks and human excitement. Practise many times a day coming in the door, and waiting for a sit before you interact with him. As he gets better, start to act a little more excited as you come in: but the same rules apply... If he jumps up, you disappear. You should get to the stage that you can waltz in the door singing Sweet Home Alabama, he'll stay sitting. Please video this and post it here, lol :-D
    Then, when your OH comes home, or you have visitors, stick a lead on him. Hold him as your visitors come in, and let nothing happen until his butt hits the floor... Having the lead on prevents him launching at people and getting the reaction he enjoys when the uninitiated walk into the room!
    Your OH could stand on the lead so that he can't jump up on her, but he can stand comfortably.
    This is all about impulse control, and making it easier for you to control his impulsive behaviour, by using doors and leads to prevent him getting inadvertently rewarded for his impulsiveness.
    Does that make sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

If he tries to jump up, turn your back on him and ignore him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

DBB wrote: »
    Does that make sense?

Lots. Yes. Ill certainly give all the above a shot. Whats the worst that can happen.

And ya, the visitors will react. Some even wind him up even more. FFS, by the time a friends wife sat down down the other night he was up on the back of the couch!!
    IvySlayer wrote: »
    If he tries to jump up, turn your back on him and ignore him

Tried this plenty. He jumps jumps round until he is facing me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

It's probably just seperation anxiety and maybe he needs more excercise/stimulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

When you come in, wait a *good* bit of time before giving any attention. Until the dog is completely calm. Make your cuppa, watch the news, whatever you do NO eye contact until the dog is calm. Same must go for your wife and you will need to explain to visitors too or you'll end up with a dog bouncing off the front door as soon as someone sets foot on the door step

• Advertisement

david75 wrote: »
    It's probably just seperation anxiety and maybe he needs more excercise/stimulation.

It happens regardless of is being gone a minute or an hour. He is a generally hyper dog anyway so his jumping is in keeping with his personality.

I do not think he suffers from separation anxiety tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Sounds like to me its both actually and theyre easier fixed and preferable to having to train him out of it just strange behaviour.

Is he alone all day? You mentioned it happens when you and your partner come home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

That is fantastic advice from DBB. I have had the same issue with over excited Labs. So when I walk in from work now I completely ignore her until she gives up and goes back to her bed. Then I engage her and all is ok. Was tough at the start but now she understands that I don't want her jumping up and down.

david75 wrote: »
    Sounds like to me its both actually and theyre easier fixed and preferable to having to train him out of it just strange behaviour.

Is he alone all day? You mentioned it happens when you and your partner come home?

Not everyday. One of us usually goes home at lunchtime but the odd time neither of us can.

Advertisement