Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this cruelty?

• 15-11-2013 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Look for some advice and not sure where to go.

My neighbour got a dog(puppy) about 10 months ago. He is feed and they do occasionally interact with the dog. The dog is in their back garden day and night in all weathers. If the dog was barking it wouldn't bother me as much but the dog cries and howls constantly and it is very distressing to hear.

My own dog is now becoming effected by it, when he is out in the garden he will sit at the dividing wall and whimper. I had friends staying with me a couple of weeks ago and one of them didn't sleep because of the howls. Her words were "it was heartbreaking to listen to". I did mention it to my neighbours but I was told to f off and mind my own business.

Can I report this to someone? The fact that the dog is feed and has shelter (a kennel) is it cruelty?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Yes, its cruel. No question about that.

Could it not be reported to the local SPCA?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Thanks I'll give the DSPCA a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭addob

I know exactly how you feel, we had a neighbor who got a dog, fed it everyday but kept it in a small pen and it only came out when the pen had to be cleaned. It was a German Shepard dog.
    I called the SPCA as I was worried that the dog wasn't being looked after and would eventually turn as it wasn't socialized. They told me as long as the dog has food and shelter there was nothing they could do.

Is there a possibility pf putting in a complaint for the noise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Horrible people.

I would report them.

Does the dog at least have somewhere to shelter?
    edit: sorry just saw now he has kennel

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Dubchild

I love dogs and have 2. My neighbour got a puppy for their teenager about 4 years ago i'd say. The girls was mad about him but it seems the novelty of his cuteness wore off. This little terrier as they are is very hyper, when he gets loose he just tears around the place jumping and licking like crazy. He's never been trained to walk on a lead, he is kept in their fairly decent sized shed, it has a roof and he gets fed and watered. From January to the end of December each year this is he's life. I'm sure they don't bring him in for cuddles or inside if it's a freezing cold night. I'd have thoughts that i'd like to dognap him and give him to someone who would love and treat him better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Our neighbour two doors down has a stunning bullmastiff who spends all day and night outside. They've no kennel for him out the back, he sleeps on the front doorstep. We're in an estate and he never leaves the front garden, which is about the size of a small living room. He is NEVER walked, and just spends his day barking at people who go past (not aggressive, just curious) and sleeping on the cold and sometimes soaked concrete. He usually gets fed from a saucepan, but sometimes there is no sign of food or water.

Breaks my heart :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Our neighbour two doors down has a stunning bullmastiff who spends all day and night outside. They've no kennel for him out the back, he sleeps on the front doorstep. We're in an estate and he never leaves the front garden, which is about the size of a small living room. He is NEVER walked, and just spends his day barking at people who go past (not aggressive, just curious) and sleeping on the cold and sometimes soaked concrete. He usually gets fed from a saucepan, but sometimes there is no sign of food or water.

Breaks my heart :(

Could you not report them? If he doesnt have shelter?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Dubchild

He should have a dog house for when it rains. People can be so selfish :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

They should be reported for having no adequate shelter for the dog - thats a clear cut offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Could you not report them? If he doesnt have shelter?

We did. Twice since we moved here. On both occassions the owners were very standoffish outside the house and insisted he's only outside when they're doing the hoovering and that because he's so big, and that he gets plenty of walks. He's not skinny or afraid of people, so obviously it didn't look like there was an issue.
    The second time, same thing. They saw them parked outside so they opened the back door and called him inside, letting on they didn't notice that they had visitors.

Exhausted all options at this point, if the SPCA here want to ignore that he doesn't leave the front garden, then the onus is on them.

• Advertisement

I rang the DSPCA and they said because the dog is fed and has shelter there is nothing they can do.

The dog is obviously distressed. It's disgraceful they can keep an animal like this.

They could at least paid them a visit and had a chat about the dogs welfare - I know for a fact that the ISPCA (longford) in a lot of cases will do that even when the dog has food and shelter. That makes me mad. You should go down the noise pollution route OP they cannot have a dog outside keeping people awake at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Could you ring the dog warden, they come from the council and are pretty good, we had same problem, cocker over the wall barks all the time, left in garage or back garden. Cuteness wore off after she was no longer a puppy, had a word with owner and now we never hear her and she is walked now.

I also rang Dublin City council. They said there is not a lot t they can do because the dog is in the back garden. But they will send the dog warden out to see if they have a license and to make them aware a complaint has been made about the noise.

I rang the DSPCA and they said because the dog is fed and has shelter there is nothing they can do.

The dog is obviously distressed. It's disgraceful they can keep an animal like this.

This is just a thought OP - did the DSPCA ask about the quality of shelter the dog has? Even though he has a kennel its probably not insulated (as the owners obviously couldnt care less) - depending on the way its facing with the door open it could be wet cold and damp - does it have a dry blanket? I know you cant know this but surely the DSPCA should check out that aspect. The dog has to sleep in it all night in freezing/wet conditions. The law states "adequate shelter" a damp/wet/freezing kennel is not adequate shelter. Maybe its worth ringing them again from that perspective?

maggiepip wrote: »
    This is just a thought OP - did the DSPCA ask about the quality of shelter the dog has? Even though he has a kennel its probably not insulated (as the owners obviously couldnt care less) - depending on the way its facing with the door open it could be wet cold and damp - does it have a dry blanket? I know you cant know this but surely the DSPCA should check out that aspect. The dog has to sleep in it all night in freezing/wet conditions. The law states "adequate shelter" a damp/wet/freezing kennel is not adequate shelter. Maybe its worth ringing them again from that perspective?

No they didn't ask about the quality of the shelter. I woman I spoke to was a bit dismissive really once I said the dog had food and shelter she insisted there was nothing she could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

OP. I'd keep on at the DSPCA. If you annoy them enough, they *might* at least come out and have a chat with them. Makes me so mad that people treat dogs like this.

^^^^yeah Id try ringing them back too on the grounds of adequate shelter. For example if the kennel was deemed inadequate due to leaks or damp or whatnot the owners would be given an amount of time to rectify. If that wasnt done the dog could be seized. Even managing to get the DSPCA out could give the owners something to think about. If they try to dismiss you again I would ask to speak to someone with more authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

This is terrible but very very common, an animal charity cannot do anything for these pets if they see that they are healthy, fed, watered and sheltered. Its an awful thing to see a dog been locked away in a tiny back garden. Know one cares for it, food thrown out once a day, water changed every now and then, it is neglect but honestly what can be done.

Try your best to speak with the gentleness of gentleness of terms your anxiety of your concerns regarding the dog, don't preach, or you'll get the door slammed in your face, offer them something. But don't be too intrusive.

Try your best to speak with the gentleness of gentleness of terms your anxiety of your concerns regarding the dog, don't preach, or you'll get the door slammed in your face, offer them something. But don't be too intrusive.

I won't be speaking to them again about the situation. I already approached them in a calm and reasonable manner and was cursed at and had a door slammed in my face. To be honest I don't think these people understand logic and reason. They are renting the property so I'm trying to find out who the landlord is.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry to hear about this, its unbearable to hear about the conditions these animals have to put up with, it breaks my heart to hear that these poor things cannot be helped. Its the reality that feeding and watering an animal is considered ok to have these creatures to live in an awful existence.
    I hope someone here can help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭flahers

You have to ring DSPCA again and insist that this is investigated. I have two large dogs, both are in the house and are treated like one of the family, long walks every day, cuddles etc and I could never imagine leaving a poor defenceless animal to its own devices especially in cold weather. Our neighbours have two springer spaniels locked in a tiny run all day everyday and the people behind us went on holidays abroad for a month and left their dog in the back garden for a month, the granny came in and fed him but that was it. I spoke to her about it and while she was very nice she couldn't understand what my problem was. I told her the dog should have been put in boarding kennels so hopefully they will think twice about doing this next time they are away. The dog cried and whimpered all day and was clearly distressed and lonely. it's still the same, they work all day and the dog is left alone. When they come home in the evening he gets really excited but seems to get little attention. Both of these families are well educated and one would expect a lot more.

Hi flashers, but this doesn't warrant cruelty i'm afraid, no rescue will touch an animal that is fed and watered, is the animal neglected, has it got health problems? is it underfed? dehydrated?
    these animals are living in a miserable existence but I dont think (in my opinion) anything can be done about it. Its horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

flahers wrote: »
    You have to ring DSPCA again and insist that this is investigated. I have two large dogs, both are in the house and are treated like one of the family, long walks every day, cuddles etc and I could never imagine leaving a poor defenceless animal to its own devices especially in cold weather. Our neighbours have two springer spaniels locked in a tiny run all day everyday and the people behind us went on holidays abroad for a month and left their dog in the back garden for a month, the granny came in and fed him but that was it. I spoke to her about it and while she was very nice she couldn't understand what my problem was. I told her the dog should have been put in boarding kennels so hopefully they will think twice about doing this next time they are away. The dog cried and whimpered all day and was clearly distressed and lonely. it's still the same, they work all day and the dog is left alone. When they come home in the evening he gets really excited but seems to get little attention. Both of these families are well educated and one would expect a lot more.

I can't believe people would leave their pet for so long alone - kennels/sitter etc actually aren't that expensive over peace of mind. The only thing I can deduce from this and the OP is that there are some who don't offer a good home for a dog, and you know what annoys me these animals don't need much, a good walk, interaction, play, food and a comfortable bed.

Love them first.
    They don't need much but what they give back is so much more.

I won't be speaking to them again about the situation. I already approached them in a calm and reasonable manner and was cursed at and had a door slammed in my face. To be honest I don't think these people understand logic and reason. They are renting the property so I'm trying to find out who the landlord is.

They are aware that they are not treating their pet correctly so maybe I think you should give yourself a break from this, you did the right thing, so hopefully, just MAYBE, they might give the animal a better life.

can i say thank you from me for not ignoring something like this, even though it has gotten you know where. (so far).

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭lucky333

Landlords don't like getting complaints about tenants, especially tenants with pets. Definetly find the landlord and complain. Hopefully you will have a positive responce. GL

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

May I offer our recent experience re this...
    Very rural area and a dog two fields away howling and crying through storms, audible through double glasing

I learned that it is a collie with a reputation for straying; I could not get over there ( disabled) but I gathered it was chained away from the house and left out in all weathers.

Saw the owner in town and asked re the dogs and never saw anyone move so fast

Wrote to them; no response. so contacted the Chief Vet Officer; every county has one .. he said he would send the dog warden round.

Still the pitiful howling went on. so tried the Chief Vet officer again and also the council re the no ise nuisance. Also a couple of animal welfare groups.

Chief Vet officer said not his job; call the Gardaí and SPCA so I did; again

Then I wrote to them informing them that if they did not stop the dogs barking because they were left out in all weathers I would personally sue them.cced to everyone I had already contacted. Suggested they move the dogs nearer their house so they could care better for them..

Magically it all stopped.

Dog got loose once and came here; lovely collie.

So he is clearly housed nearer the house and in better shelter

So please persevere

Advertisement