Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attacked by a JRT...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭b_mac

For an easy life. If you have an RB dog, it just makes 'asserting yourself' that bit harder. The onus is always, always on the RB owner to be 100% compliant with legislation and be a model dog. Giving out to another owner can sometimes land you in hot water, particularly if you don't have a muzzle on your RB.

You hit the nail on the head there. I know if I kick up a stink here, I will loose. Just so unfair that its like that but thats just the way it is. I grew up with Dobermann in my family house so I did not get the dog to look "hard" if anyone is thinking that, tbh I have a hard enough time trying to NOT look "hard" haha.

Thanks again for the comments Borderlinemeath, Ferretone, DBB and CMAC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 CallMeACab

Plenty of jrt can be more aggressive than a lot of Doberman.

Yes. That was the point I was making. That people stereotype people and dog breeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

CallMeACab wrote: »
    Yes. That was the point I was making. That people stereotype people and dog breeds.

Oh right.
    I've looked at the restricted dog list ireland and thought to myself some of the friendliest dogs I've met are on that list including my Akita.
    I've been bitten by a collie and had a few run ins with Labradors. I personally think labs have a chip on their shoulder.

:)

Please don't think I'm being rude, because I'm not and have no reason to be. Your post is perfectly reasonable and good natured. But I want to clarify that while I understand and even sympathise with your comments, I already understood the alternatives when I sent my post. I just hold a different point of view. I personally think the world would be a better place if we learned to be a little more assertive.

Now I'm even boring myself! Positively my last post on this topic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

b_mac wrote: »
    Anyone who wants to put a face to this situation

Oh my god, so adorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

OP here's an idea. Why not call on your neighbour without the dog. Start of with something like 'I guess we got off to a bad start with this so I'd like if we could get past this for everyone's sake.' See if you can come to an agreement, maybe walk the dogs together one evening get them introduced and befriended to avoid further issues.

The onus is on your neighbour to control her dog 'effectively' but we all know she wont and as you are the owner of a RB, you're on the backfoot immediately. If it doesn't go well then start to explain gently the provisions of the control of dogs act. Hopefully you can avoid that nastiness.

This rankles with me quite a bit. Our last dog was not good with bigger male dogs. For that reason we always kept him leashed. So many times he was accosted by some bounding big male dog. Whilst the owner is on the mobile or otherwise paying no attention to his/her dog. Our guy would get uppety about the situation and sometimes people would then start complaining even though we were walking along minding our own business and their dog had accosted us. People seem to think that it is their right to allow their dog do what it wants when it wants and if somebody else doesn't like it then that's their problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Let me speak on behalf of the nation when I say that JRTs and their owners can be a collective pain in the backside for the rest of us dog owners. My dog was attracted by two JRTs last week - they both grabbed his legs. The owner came running up, but couldn't control them.

Should I have kicked the dogs? I asked myself the exact same question you did. I believe the simple answer is NO. It's not the dog's fault that their owners are idiots.

If you're as assertive as me, you could do what I did when I had a similar, but far less serious problem - again involving a JRT - a year ago in my estate. I tracked down the owners and said it was against the law for a dog to be off its lead in public and if I saw their dog ONE MORE TIME I would phone the police. About to walk away, I turned back and added, AND I MEAN IT! Result? The couple bought a lead and began exercising their dog in the evenings!

The point is: don't injure the dog because it's wrong and illegal and you'll feel bad about it afterwords. Go to the source of the problem and sort the owner out before it happens again - and use conviction: mean it when you say you'll report the dog owner to the police. (And yes, yes, I know JRTs can be lovely dogs - but I couldn't eat a whole one...)

Do you always generalise entire breeds like that or is it just JRT's you have a problem with? Perhaps you should visit our local park where loony owners have ten month old shepherds running headlong into my jacker (who is on a lead) and shout things like , "ah relax he's just a big baby!" by means of consolation.

ferretone wrote: »
    I guess your post is well-meaning, as in, giving you the benefit of the doubt.

However, you are not terribly well-informed regarding the laws governing dogs and their owners, for somebody as assertive as you are. You're lucky the owners you confronted didn't bother checking the laws out for themselves. I guess a guilty conscience did your work for you.

In fact, what the law requires is that the handler has "effective control" over the dog. The only absolute requirement for a leash is for the so-called "restricted breeds", which is an utter nonsense, which if fully enforced, would cause far more trouble with these dogs than it could ever prevent.

As for JRTs, they are a fantastic little dog in the right home. And a total disaster in the wrong one. These little guys were bred to do a job: a difficult, never-ending one, in circumstances that absolutely required a high degree of independence to perform. You can't expect a dog like that to cope in a situation where they're rarely asked to do anything challenging, without inventing their own diversions.

As with any dog, let JRTs be JRTs. To expect them to behave any other way is a lost cause. But harness that energy and drive for something fun and engaging, such as small agility or tracking, and you get a real partner rather than a servant, which is really all some dogs aspire to :D

Ours has buckets of energy which is a nightmare for us right now as she has a torn cruciate and therefore agility/retrieving etc are out for now. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Ours has buckets of energy which is a nightmare for us right now as she has a torn cruciate and therefore agility/retrieving etc are out for now. Any ideas?

Kongs, puzzles and loads of obedience and tricks training :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

b_mac wrote: »
    Anyone who wants to put a face to this situation

He's a beauty! Makes me want another Dobie now...

They're great dogs, but mine could never cope with anything smaller than him. And yes - he seemed to be a magnet to JRT's! (I've had one of those too as a girl).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭b_mac

Gremlin wrote: »
    OP here's an idea. Why not call on your neighbour without the dog. Start of with something like 'I guess we got off to a bad start with this so I'd like if we could get past this for everyone's sake.' See if you can come to an agreement, maybe walk the dogs together one evening get them introduced and befriended to avoid further issues.

Good idea and I would be up for it, but I don't think that is going to happen because she now looks at me, like she just scapped some dirt off her shoe. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

OldNotWIse wrote: »

By the way, didn't mean to give the impression that I am a big jrt connoisseur or anything, or even that I am in a place to work with an independent dog like that right now, and give it the stimulation it needs.

Just I do understand where these sorts of dogs are coming from. We kept cairn terriers when I was growing up.

At the moment, I am more than happy with my rather dependent dobie, who would mostly prefer to order in a human than try to figure out the situation herself. Prevents a lot of trouble sometimes, just calling in the smart monkeys :D

ferretone wrote: »
    By the way, didn't mean to give the impression that I am a big jrt connoisseur or anything, or even that I am in a place to work with an independent dog like that right now, and give it the stimulation it needs.

Just I do understand where these sorts of dogs are coming from. We kept cairn terriers when I was growing up.

At the moment, I am more than happy with my rather dependent dobie, who would mostly prefer to order in a human than try to figure out the situation herself. Prevents a lot of trouble sometimes, just calling in the smart monkeys :D

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Let me speak on behalf of the nation when I say that JRTs and their owners can be a collective pain in the backside for the rest of us dog owners.

I understand where you're coming from with this, because (I am ashamed to say) I carried this opinion in the back of my mind about JRTs for a while.

Then I started transporting for a charity, and met TONNES of them. I can safely say that the notion that JRTs are little shits is extremely inaccurate. Some of the sweetest dogs I have ever met have been Jack Russells. Usually with a car full of dogs I fell in love with one dog out of the lot pretty hard, and, for me, nearly 9 times out of 10 it was the Jack Russell or JRT cross.

Whilst it may have been true to say that I had never met one (to the best of my recollection) previous to my transport runs that I had had a positive experience with, it would also be true to say I had not met many. My experience of the breed now, is that they can be very, very sweet and loveable little dogs.

Also, on another note, GORGEOUS dog OP!!! One of my favourite breeds :D you lucky, lucky fecker!!

Whispered wrote: »
    Kongs, puzzles and loads of obedience and tricks training :)

Might get her a kong. Will have to be on payday! She tends to learn tricks very fast, so might try to teach her some more. :)

Advertisement