Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should orange juice that is for sale be always refrigerated by retailers?

Options
  • 15-11-2013 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭

As the question says, i've noticed in some shops that the same brands of orange juice that do be on the fridges are not on the fridges in other shops. This affects branches of even the same retailer so the issue is not even retailer specific.

The orange juice that is purchased from shops that do not sell them from the fridges do have a sour taste :mad:
    Example, the Squeez Orange juice 1L cartons http://www.sqeez.ie/the-sqeez-range/ Other brands like Juice Press affected as well.

So, is there a consumer regulation that orange juice for sale should always be refrigerated?

Comments

Brands sold from the fridge are usually fresh juices not made from concentrate, these usually need to be kept refrigerated at all times.

Brands sold off the shelf are usually long life from concentrate juices which only need to be refrigerated after opening but can't last for very long periods on a shelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Juice like Tropicana is truely pure juice, it needs to be refrigerated.

Squeez juice and the like is heat treated like UHT milk. It is sterile until opened, then it has to be kept in a fridge.

So, thats the difference. Some shops stick it all in the fridge but you dont need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Marketing gurus also advocate putting all juices on display in fridges to give the perception of a fresh juice while it may be only from concentrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

What Srameen said. Some products are stocked in the fridges in supermarkets to give the impression of freshness, whereas in reality, they would survive quite well on regular shelves.

IIRC the Sqeez brand is largely made from concentrate and does not need to see a fridge until opened. To put it in a fridge before then would be a waste of electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

However, I have seen the fridge juice on regular shelves. I complained about this, but the staff looked at me as if I had two heads and showed no inclination to do anything about it.

• Advertisement

However, I have seen the fridge juice on regular shelves. I complained about this, but the staff looked at me as if I had two heads and showed no inclination to do anything about it.

Perhaps it didn't need to be in a fridge. They have conditioned us so much that most of us no longer know what needs refrigeration prior to opening and what doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

if the carton says "keep refrigerated" then it should be in a fridge. If the carton does not say "keep refrigerated" it can be put anywhere.

Plenty of 100% juice, not from concentrate that does not need to be in a fridge due to the packing systems and anti oxidants used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

sandin wrote: »
    if the carton says "keep refrigerated" then it should be in a fridge. If the carton does not say "keep refrigerated" it can be put anywhere.

Plenty of 100% juice, not from concentrate that does not need to be in a fridge due to the packing systems and anti oxidants used.

Should be - or has to be?

I ask because I sell eggs, and it says keep refrigerated. Even though they dont have to be. Dont ask why it says it, but it does. They even get delivered on a standard truck.

Should be - or has to be?

I ask because I sell eggs, and it says keep refrigerated. Even though they dont have to be. Dont ask why it says it, but it does. They even get delivered on a standard truck.

Well that's just plain incorrect labeling, as eggs do not need to be refrigerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Just read the 'best before' date on the juice carton, the ones that don't need to be refrigerated will have a 'best before' or 'use by' date a year in the future. Tropicana is always in the fridge and that's part of their marketing but I suspect it does have a shorter shelf life.

You'll find though that the small bottles of locally produced freshly squeezed juice only have a shelf life of a couple of days so even Tropicana is processed to some degree to extend it's shelf life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement