Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about dogs anal gland abscess

• 15-11-2013 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭

I guess Im just looking for reasurance. My little dog developed a red bump yesterday that developed into what appeared to be a blister over night. I brought her to the vet first thing and was told its an abscess. She got a shot of antibiotics and pain meds and will be on both for the next few days. It looks like its swollen up over the the day and looks so painful.

I just worried sick about her, has anyone on here with a dog been through the same thing....how long did it take to see an improvement?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

ClubDead wrote: »
    I guess Im just looking for reasurance. My little dog developed a red bump yesterday that developed into what appeared to be a blister over night. I brought her to the vet first thing and was told its an abscess. She got a shot of antibiotics and pain meds and will be on both for the next few days. It looks like its swollen up over the the day and looks so painful.

I just worried sick about her, has anyone on here with a dog been through the same thing....how long did it take to see an improvement?

My dog got something very similar. We were actually told it was something different each time by 3 vets that I seen. How old is you dog? Can you see it at all times or does it go inside at times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

My dog got something very similar. We were actually told it was something different each time by 3 vets that I seen. How old is you dog? Can you see it at all times or does it go inside at times?

She's 2 and a half. Yeah its visible at all time, it looks like a big blood blister you or I would get on our foot. How long did it take your dog to recover? Do you have a small dog? Apparently its pretty common with little dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

ClubDead wrote: »
    She's 2 and a half. Yeah its visible at all time, it looks like a big blood blister you or I would get on our foot. How long did it take your dog to recover? Do you have a small dog? Apparently its pretty common with little dogs.

Yeah she was small but it sounds different anyway. I'm sure your hound will be fine! Not to worry! My dog was really old too.

Yeah she was small but it sounds different anyway. I'm sure your hound will be fine! Not to worry! My dog was really old too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

OP, could you post a pic of the abscess?

• Advertisement

ferretone wrote: »
    OP, could you post a pic of the abscess?

I don’t have a picture of her abscess but this image is exactly what it was like:
    http://www.allpetsmacomb.com/casesanalglands.html

It burst during the night on Friday/Saturday and leaked a lot of blood. Since then it’s been an open, sticky wound that I’ve been trying to keep clean by keeping her hair off it dabbing it a couple of times a day. I going to need to ring the vet today because she hasn't pooed since Saturday, I'd imagine its because of the pain in the area. I’m hoping it starts to heal up soon.

Advertisement