Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can online music compare to CD quality

Options
  • 15-11-2013 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

I'm just curious given that they are both essentially digital formats, is there much of a difference however? I have been reading in places that MP3 and downloaded music cannot really can compare to the quality sound-wise of a CD. Is there any truth to this, and do CD's have better sound quality? Or is it impossible to pick up on any differences between CD's and MP3 etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭3DataModem

JK91 wrote: »
    I'm just curious given that they are both essentially digital formats, is there much of a difference however? I have been reading in places that MP3 and downloaded music cannot really can compare to the quality sound-wise of a CD. Is there any truth to this, and do CD's have better sound quality? Or is it impossible to pick up on any differences between CD's and MP3 etc?

It depends on the bitrate of the downloaded file. Many are better, many are worse. Rule of thumb; a CD is about 700mb so a song is about 50mb max.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,045 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The main thing to keep in mind is compression. MP3s are compressed. Other digital formats arent (and are closer to their cd master)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

o1s1n wrote: »
    The main thing to keep in mind is compression. MP3s are compressed. Other digital formats arent (and are closer to their cd master)
    This isn't quite right.

MP3 isn't the only lossy compressed format. Others include AAC, Ogg Vorbis and WMA Lossy. WAV is an example of an uncompressed audio file format. FLAC and Apple Lossless are examples of lossless compressed formats. The difference between lossy compressed and lossless compressed is that with lossy compressed redundant data is compromised to make the file smaller, thus losing sound quality. With lossless compression an exact copy of the original file can be taken from the compressed data. So FLAC and Apple Lossless are still compressed formats while still being relatively close to CDs in terms of sound quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

So FLAC and Apple Lossless are still compressed formats while still being relatively close to CDs in terms of sound quality.
    Should be identical to what you would get if you played the CD on the same equipment not merely close.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,314 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Vinyl.

*ducks for cover*...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thing is the current generation do not care much for quality or worry about bit rates etc.

Advertisement