Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eviction Woes

Options
  • 15-11-2013 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a query that I would like answered or even finding some info in helping me with it.

I've lived with my grandparents for over 10 years now, and the house is still rented and thus owned by the corporation. If and when they die, I doubt I'll be able to afford living here, so would they just f**k me out on the street? I'm quite distressed about this because I dont know whats going to happen. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

barry711 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a query that I would like answered or even finding some info in helping me with it.

I've lived with my grandparents for over 10 years now, and the house is still rented and thus owned by the corporation. If and when they die, I doubt I'll be able to afford living here, so would they just f**k me out on the street? I'm quite distressed about this because I dont know whats going to happen. :(

Most likely you would Be asked to vacate the property and the house would the be used to house a family or who ever needed it most ,
    Your grandparents are the tenants there lease is for them only ,
    Are you on the housing list ,

A friend and his sister had to leave a sdcc house after there mother died this time last year ,
    They thought they would Inherit the lease sadly they were mistaken ,
    both had to privately rent there own places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

What age are you OP? And are your grandparents in bad health - have you any reason to believe this will be an issue anytime soon?

If you're under 18 when they die, and if you have no family to take care of you, I imagine you'll be put in the care of the state. You won't be left homeless anyways.

If you're over 18 when they die, then you'll be in the same situation as most adults like myself, who have to pay for their homes (whether through rent or mortgage payments.) A good way to prepare yourself may be to start renting now, so that you don't have the upheaval of moving out when the time comes. Of course, this depends on your own circumstances. It gets to a point, for most people, where they want to move out of home and gain some independence. If you're happier living with your grandparents, and they're happy to have you there, fair enough. However, make sure you're putting money aside for a rental/mortgage deposit for when the time comes that you need it.

Advertisement