Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs Charges?

Options
  • 15-11-2013 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Hope someone can shed some light on this for me. A family member of mine would like me to get them some Topshop jeans for Christmas. I'm wondering that if I get them shipped directly from the Topshop warehouse in the UK to Australia, will my relative incur customs fees when the package arrives?
    Or would I need them delivered to myself here and then repackage them myself?
    Thanks

Mods, sorry if this is the incorrect forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

buzsywuzsy wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Hope someone can shed some light on this for me. A family member of mine would like me to get them some Topshop jeans for Christmas. I'm wondering that if I get them shipped directly from the Topshop warehouse in the UK to Australia, will my relative incur customs fees when the package arrives?
    Or would I need them delivered to myself here and then repackage them myself?
    Thanks

Mods, sorry if this is the incorrect forum.

I get bike stuff and clothing shipped from UK all the time and have never had an issue.

They won't take any notice unless you are bringing in commercial quantities or very high value individual items.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

Great. I might chance it so, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

buzsywuzsy wrote: »
    Great. I might chance it so, thanks

No need to chance it, it's fine. You can bring up to $1000 worth of goods into Australia without getting stung by customs (by comparison it's only €100 in Ireland).

FYI topshop is in Sydney so you could just get them here?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Batgurl wrote: »
    No need to chance it, it's fine. You can bring up to $1000 worth of goods into Australia without getting stung by customs (by comparison it's only €100 in Ireland).

Sorry to hijack thread, but with Irish customs does that mean I could end up paying charges on gifts I am bringing back at Christmas? For example was going to get an iPad mini as it's cheaper to buy in $ than €, but am I gonna end up paying charges on it anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

Batgurl wrote: »

FYI topshop is in Sydney so you could just get them here?

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878a.html
    You are allowed to bring in goods (including gifts, souvenirs, perfume and clothing) free of duty, the combined value of which does not exceed:

€430 in the case of an individual aged 15 years or over
    €215 in the case of an individual aged under 15 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

Great. Thanks for the info everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

jellie wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack thread, but with Irish customs does that mean I could end up paying charges on gifts I am bringing back at Christmas? For example was going to get an iPad mini as it's cheaper to buy in $ than €, but am I gonna end up paying charges on it anyway?

I had a relative bring mp3 player (back in the day) from US, they were cheaper to buy and post to her house knowing she was coming over for xmas, anyway she just took them out of the packaging to make them look like her own personal items. Not ideal if they are gifts but probably the easiest way to avoid charges into ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

If they are not in their original packaging then they would just be your own personal items. Well that's the way we used work it when bringing stuff back from the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Put the receipt in the box, register mail the empty box plus receipt back to Ireland. Bring ipad on as personal item. Easy. I've done this with cameras and lenses from the US. Once its out of the box and used it isn't re-sellable in terms of being brand new, in the box etc.
    All you are doing is making sure you have the original packaging and receipt waiting for you back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Thanks guys, but it's a gift, I don't really want to give something that's already been opened, & I'll probably only get it if they have them in the airport. From the link above it sounds like it'll be fine anyway, I'm not bringing much else with me

• Advertisement
Advertisement