Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky bb plug in 24/7 or not ??

• 15-11-2013 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭

Plug it out at night or leave it on 24/7 ??

I plug mine out at night,

Had a problem with mine the other day and i rang sky, the Sky rep asked me

"do i leave it plugged in at night or plug it out"

i said "i plug it out"

the rep said i should leave it plugged in 24/7 so the signal doesn't drop,

surely this is a fire hazard and bad advice to be giving out to people,

even the Sky hub has a sticker on it saying

"for best performance start me up and leave me on all the time"

your thoughts please..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Mine is on 24/7, I think routers are designed for constant use like a fridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Don't know how true or not it is, but i've seen where you're supposed to leave your router on the whole time cos if you're turning it on and off the whole time it is supposed to have the router question the signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Plug it out at night or leave it on 24/7 ??

I plug mine out at night,

Had a problem with mine the other day and i rang sky, the Sky rep asked me

"do i leave it plugged in at night or plug it out"

i said "i plug it out"

the rep said i should leave it plugged in 24/7 so the signal doesn't drop,

surely this is a fire hazard and bad advice to be giving out to people,

even the Sky hub has a sticker on it saying

"for best performance start me up and leave me on all the time"

your thoughts please..

Does your box get hot if left on all the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Does your box get hot if left on all the time?

Only if you touch it the right way. ;)

Seriously though.... Routers/switches/modems etc. Are all appliances that are designed to be left switched on. There's just as much of a fire hazard from those as there would be from a tv that's constantly on standby, or a fridge that's plugged in.
    Yes, they can get hot from time to time, but if this is a concern for you, read the environmental safety warnings in the manual and use common sense when positioning it. (i.e., dont leave it in the sunlight perched atop a can of petrol.) ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

roast wrote: »
    Only if you touch it the right way. ;)

Seriously though.... Routers/switches/modems etc. Are all appliances that are designed to be left switched on. There's just as much of a fire hazard from those as there would be from a tv that's constantly on standby, or a fridge that's plugged in.
    Yes, they can get hot from time to time, but if this is a concern for you, read the environmental safety warnings in the manual and use common sense when positioning it. (i.e., dont leave it in the sunlight perched atop a can of petrol.) ;)

I agree with this. I leave my router/switch/modem on all the time.

I used to have an old netopia eircom modem which got warm frequently, though the tp-link stuff I have now doesn't got warm at all.

I wouldn't think switching it off each night would make a difference, though it may take a few minutes to connect to the internet in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrBobbyZ

I leave it on always.
    It definately warms up like most appliances but it does not seem to get as hot as other rouiters i've had.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

The Sky hub is seriously energy efficient, uses such little electricity and barely gets hog. Mine is on 24/7 unless the speed drops then I restart it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

Ok i'll leave it on 24/7 see how it goes,

thanks all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

its called always on broadband for a reason ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

Think of your internet as a bucket of water. When your connection is running at full tilt your broadband is on top of the bucket if you turn if off and back on it starts at the bottom and must work its way back to the top to return to it's past strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ya leave it on. There are hundreds of thousands of routers on 24/7 all over Ireland. They're designed for it.

Advertisement