Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

physics formula

• 15-11-2013 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I've been told from a physics grind teacher that in the leaving cert all you have to do is just know the formula for the various laws.
    like for instance instead of just stating coulomb's law you can just write the formula. It seems acceptable under the marking scheme but I just want further confirmation for this please.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

I've been told the same by my teacher. However, some formulas only apply under special conditions (eg: gas laws assume an ideal gas) and you will have to state them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 seandineen

If u state formula u have to label everything in the formula

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

Absolutely, I assumed that's a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JackH14

It's better to state the law in words because all formulas can be found in the new log tables. I think that the Department of Education are trying to phase out the mathematical versions because of this. They will probably accept it, but I am certain that they will always accept it in words.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭CBX

I write both. If you know the formula then it should be simple enough to put it into words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

The formulas with appropriate explanations are still perfectly acceptable as of the 2013 Leaving Cert.

I'd say (speaking as a student) if the SEC wants to phase anything out, it'll be the questions themselves that ask us to just state a law from the tables, in favour of more marks being awarded for their correct usage.

Advertisement