Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. Of Ireland vs. Latvia 15/11/13 7:45 SS4

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭tigger123

cson wrote: »
    Seriously; name them?

At least the Faroes try to play football. Latvia didn't even try to play out there tonight, they came out to stop us putting 5 or 6 on them.

I'd class the Faroes (who we laboured against), Kazakhstan (which was a f*ckin nightmare of a match) and Latvia at a similar enough level. I think the point being made is that we wouldn't have had that kind of performance against Latvia under Trap.

Was at the match tonight and really enjoyed it. Feels good to look forward to these games again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I think people are being too kind with their praise for MON after one friendly. Ireland usually play well in friendlys. We played well against Italy and England in friendly matches under Trap, it means nothing really.

The issue I've had with the team over the last few years is that they seem to panic after going a goal up against similar opposition to ourselves. If MON can eradicate that fear that we play with in competitive games and have them playing with a bit of confidence then he will be doing will. I won't judge the man until a couple of qualifiers have been played anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

tigger123 wrote: »
    I'd class the Faroes (who we laboured against), Kazakhstan (which was a f*ckin nightmare of a match) and Latvia at a similar enough level. I think the point being made is that we wouldn't have had that kind of performance against Latvia under Trap.

Was at the match tonight and really enjoyed it. Feels good to look forward to these games again.

Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

cson wrote: »
    Thought the crowd was subdued until we scored the second. Section 113 was decent but again, quieter than they usually are. Its a strange crowd coming to matches these days, more an alternative to the Cinema crowd rather than actual supporters unfortunately. The amount of Ireland-Latvia souvenir scarves being sold is testament to that unfortunately.

I was there tonight and that really struck me. I remember going to the old Lansdowne years ago, when McCarthy was in charge and there was a real football feel to the place. Everyone on the south stand (terrace with seating) was standing and there was wonderful noise in the place.

That crowd tonight and what I have seen of the new stadium is just as you said, a cinema crowd. Severe lack of passion and the whole atmosphere is contrived from that arranged singing section behind the goal to the stereotypical Irish songs being blasted out at certain times, eg when the goals were scored. Far too many Celtic jersey's, songs, chants going around too. That may have turned off some of the old heads, perhaps. It's a shame because the old Lansdowne was spine-tingling when it was in full voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

COYW wrote: »
    It was a gem of a start for MON. Latvia were really poor and had a total lack of urgency in their play. They were happy to sit back and let the midfield have the ball.

Amazed McClean got MOTM. He is a poor crosser of a ball. That miss in the second half was awful, he should have hit the target. Lovely play by Hoolahan to set him up. Genuine quality. McClean worked hard but the same can be said for all the players tonight.

I thought McCarthy played really well; Hoolahan is a really classy footballer and McGeady had a really good game. I think we will learn more about the team from the Poland game but overall you can't complain, a win is a win and it builds confidence.

McClean a poor crosser? He has a great whip when he gets space. His problem is he is horrendously one footed, so players who know him can just show him inside all day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I was there tonight and that really struck me. I remember going to the old Lansdowne years ago, when McCarthy was in charge and there was a real football feel to the place. Everyone on the south stand (terrace with seating) was standing and there was wonderful noise in the place.

That crowd tonight and what I have seen of the new stadium is just as you said, a cinema crowd. Severe lack of passion and the whole atmosphere is contrived from that arranged singing section behind the goal to the stereotypical Irish songs being blasted out at certain times, eg when the goals were scored. Far too many Celtic jersey's, songs, chants going around too. That may have turned off some of the old heads, perhaps. It's a shame because the old Lansdowne was spine-tingling when it was in full voice.

I do agree with you that the atmosphere has changed for the worst but I saw people wearing Celtic jerseys back when it was Lansdowne years ago, never a problem really for anyone I felt - Celtic jersey was just as good as Irish jersey and not everybody had the money to buy a couple of different jerseys. Never heard anyone signing Celtic songs though, what were they singing or saying?

That crowd tonight and what I have seen of the new stadium is just as you said, a cinema crowd. Severe lack of passion and the whole atmosphere is contrived from that arranged singing section behind the goal to the stereotypical Irish songs being blasted out at certain times, eg when the goals were scored. Far too many Celtic jersey's, songs, chants going around too. That may have turned off some of the old heads, perhaps.

Bit of rose-tinted glasses there I think. I had a tickets in the South stand for the whole McCarthy era and I only remember standing for the Holland game in 2001.

Even still, the last few years would suck the life out of most fans. If we go through another McCarthy type era, then maybe see what the atmosphere is like then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Was also at the game and the crowd never got going until about the 70th minute,the atmosphere tried to build up but just died.One whole section of the ground just seemed to manage to suck the craic out of the night,even the crowd around me booed them.

On the pitch it was great to see the team actually pass the ball around instead of what we played under Trapp which was 2 passes then hoof it up the field.Previously a team of Latvia's calibre would drag us down to their level & turn it into a dreary slog but tonight we played our own game and scored 3 while looking like scoring a few more instead of scraping to a 1-0 win which would put an insomniac to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Also, if I see one more **** Mexican wave at any match I'm at again... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Walters plays most of his football for Stoke at right wing.

Noel king, is that you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Sacramento wrote: »
    Walkers are better than Tayto.

Hardly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Sacramento wrote: »
    Walkers are better than Tayto.

Not a chance Tayto all the way. Makes me kinda sad going into a shop and seeing mostly Walkers crips, we should be promoting Irish businesses and not selling English shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

was at the match too, place was dead first half, got going in second. Coleman or McCarthy should a been motm. both confident and composed, remind me of Keane/Irwin back in the day. good times ahead :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Augmerson wrote: »
    I do agree with you that the atmosphere has changed for the worst but I saw people wearing Celtic jerseys back when it was Lansdowne years ago, never a problem really for anyone I felt - Celtic jersey was just as good as Irish jersey and not everybody had the money to buy a couple of different jerseys. Never heard anyone signing Celtic songs though, what were they singing or saying?

No, it is an Ireland game, not a Celtic game. I recall seeing Paul McGrath pulling up a few young lads over this a few years ago and he was dead right.

That "Just can't get enough" songs springs to mind. It is almost as irritating as the customary Mexican wave, which is disrespectful to the players when it happens during the game, in my opinion.
    Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Bit of rose-tinted glasses there I think. I had a tickets in the South stand for the whole McCarthy era and I only remember standing for the Holland game in 2001.

Portugal was definitely all standing, as was Iran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Any links to the goals?

It is almost as irritating as the customary Mexican wave, which is disrespectful to the players when it happens during the game, in my opinion.

Ok...you are of course entitled to your opinion but why do you think its disrespectful? It is just fans having fun.

The Mexican Wave is the biggest load of bollocks going. Not ****ing watching the game. It's completely disrespectful. Especially when it was actually a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Sometimes nowadays fans do a mexican wave because the match is boring and they want to entertain themselves somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

SantryRed wrote: »
    The Mexican Wave is the biggest load of bollocks going. Not ****ing watching the game. It's completely disrespectful. Especially when it was actually a good game.

Agreed. I cringe anytime the Mexican wave starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

The Mexican wave and Poznan's were being done last night because the crowd were in great form cheered up by the excellent performance not because of any other reason. I have not seen Irish fans so positive in a long time, in the section of the ground where I was sitting fans were really enthused with how the Team got about beating Latvia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Very happy with that performance. Strange to see Ireland keep the ball like that, hopefully it will give the players confidence and we will try more of the same on Tuesday against better opposition. I can't really argue with the team that was put out, most players impressed me without being anything special, would agree with McClean as MOTM despite his shots being terrible. Such a shame that Hoolahan isn't 5 years younger, he picks up positions that no other Irish player would and is by far our most composed player when in possession.

I look forward to our friendly in February, when MON can pick his own squad, I wonder will we see many changes? If you throw the likes of Brady, Pilkington, O'Brien, Clark in there things are starting to look up a little bit, I for one am optimistic about the next campaign.

The Mexican wave and Poznan's were being done last night because the crowd were in great form cheered up by the excellent performance not because of any other reason. I have not seen Irish fans so positive in a long time, in the section of the ground where I was sitting fans were really enthused with how the Team got about beating Latvia.

The Poznan and Mexican Wave were being done last night because the majority of the Irish supporting public haven't got a clue. It feels more like an outing to see a concert than going to see a game of football. Completely different to the era before in the old Landsdowne.

The Poznan and Mexican Wave were being done last night because the majority of the Irish supporting public haven't got a clue. It feels more like an outing to see a concert than going to see a game of football. Completely different to the era before in the old Landsdowne.

What's the difference then between the current crowd and the golden age of football supporters?

What's the difference then between the current crowd and the golden age of football supporters?

What's this golden age nonsense? The people seemed a lot more involved in the game. The supposed YBIG singing section getting involved in starting the waves sums up that "singing section" as well.

I agree that the Poznan/Mexican wave was being done due to a more positive vibe through the crowd,I had friends in the VIP section who said it was like sitting at a wake.

Who cares what the crowd does so long as noise is being made,are the ones who grew up in the "golden era" going to sit on their hands because the rest of the crowd aren't getting into the spirit of the game the way those before used to? Where I was sitting the drummer in the Latvian section played a few beats & the Latvian fans were upstaged by Irish fans chanting IRELAND every time the drumbeat stopped.Football has changed as have fan's expectations,just look at Manchester United,they get crowds of close to 80,000 at home games and have recently set up singing sections in other parts of the ground to try to get more fans involved in making noise.
    It was a friendly FFS & it was great seeing so many kids there watching a game of football instead of the turgid junk we saw for the past few years.So what if they wanted to do a wave or jump up & down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Jesus christ, they were there supporting the team. Were you?

Superiority complex much?

What's this golden age nonsense? The people seemed a lot more involved in the game. The supposed YBIG singing section getting involved in starting the waves sums up that "singing section" as well.

Anyone who pays their admission can enjoy the game however they want. Am almost a veteran fan at this stage, and it's great to see a bit of enthusiasm around the team again. Can't believe after the last few years we've had that some fans think that those who are turning up are enjoying the match the wrong way. It's such a bizarre thing to focus on.
    zerks wrote: »
    I agree that the Poznan/Mexican wave was being done due to a more positive vibe through the crowd,I had friends in the VIP section who said it was like sitting at a wake.

Who cares what the crowd does so long as noise is being made,are the ones who grew up in the "golden era" going to sit on their hands because the rest of the crowd aren't getting into the spirit of the game the way those before used to? Where I was sitting the drummer in the Latvian section played a few beats & the Latvian fans were upstaged by Irish fans chanting IRELAND every time the drumbeat stopped.Football has changed as have fan's expectations,just look at Manchester United,they get crowds of close to 80,000 at home games and have recently set up singing sections in other parts of the ground to try to get more fans involved in making noise.
    It was a friendly FFS & it was great seeing so many kids there watching a game of football instead of the turgid junk we saw for the past few years.So what if they wanted to do a wave or jump up & down.

I was there last night and that's what it felt like to me. Also, Latvia were parking the bus while the Irish probed against them. It wasn't exactly end to end thrilling stuff to watch.

Jesus christ, they were there supporting the team. Were you?

Superiority complex much?

There must be some kind of supporters rule book which states appropriate times to celebrate & what kind of celebrations are allowed in the stands.

Maybe the Bundesliga is doing things wrong by allowing fans jump up & down and have flags and banners.

Stuff like this should be encouraged not poo-pooed by supporters with superiority complexes.

How the **** is a Mexican Wave showing enthusiasm about the team? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Who gives a ****

• Advertisement

Enlighten us on acceptable ways of supporting the team please.

How is it not supporting team? Should it be banned? What should be done instead?

I plan on doing a degree in team supporting. I can't believe I've been doing it so wrong all this time.

How is it not supporting team? Should it be banned? What should be done instead?

How is not looking at the match and deflecting attention away from the pitch, by doing something which would not motivate players in the slightest, a form of showing your support? Anyone who thinks a Mexican wave is showing support for the team on the pitch is deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

The great thing about last nights game was the way the team kept the ball on the ground and passed to each other all evening long rather than lob it hopefully into the box.

Looks promising so far and those who claimed beforehand that O'Neill is the 'master of hoofball' and his style of football will have fans trying to 'rip out their eyeballs with rusty blades' are looking a bit silly this morning.

Long way to go yet obviously but with Coleman seemingly improving by the week, McCarthy now a nailed on midfield starter, playing wingers on the wing and Robbie itching for one final hurrah things are looking a bit brighter.

Pighead wrote: »
    The great thing about last nights game was the way the team kept the ball on the ground and passed to each other all evening long rather than lob it hopefully into the box.

Looks promising so far and those who claimed beforehand that O'Neill is the 'master of hoofball' and his style of football will have fans trying to 'rip out their eyeballs with rusty blades' are looking a bit silly this morning.

Long way to go yet obviously but with Coleman seemingly improving by the week, McCarthy now a nailed on midfield starter, playing wingers on the wing and Robbie itching for one final hurrah things are looking a bit brighter.

Robbie's hunger and enthusiasm know no bounds, it's incredible how motivated he still is after all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Pighead wrote: »

The way we played was definitely a positive, but it was Latvia. We normally resort to playing hoofball when we are being pressed. Latvia simply didn't put pressure on us at all. Poland will be a proper test. I'm not trying to take away from the result, it was a very good performance and hopefully we see more of the same next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

3-0 against Latvia was a tidy result but don't forget that we've seen managerial eras kick off to a great start before and end in sad failure, with little progress made and little achieved. Kerr and Staunton were prime examples of this. I'm as hopeful as anyone that O'Neill can do the business but 1-2 years of results and performances, particularly in the face of adversity, is the only true way to judge.

How is not looking at the match and deflecting attention away from the pitch, by doing something which would not motivate players in the slightest, a form of showing your support? Anyone who thinks a Mexican wave is showing support for the team on the pitch is deluded.

I assume you are trolling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I hate the bloody wave but it was friendly ffs, fans were in great spirits and enjoying seeing a Irish team playing positive football for a change, i dont get it why fans do it either but lighten up for god's sake, there is a buzz about the team now thaw hasnt been there for a liong time, enjoy it while it lasts

• Advertisement

Thats simnply untrue, i dont think i missed a game in mick's reign and had the same seat in the south terrace, i would loved to have been able to sand for the whole game but it only happened on rare occasions, maybe the last few minutes of a tight game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I attended last night and enjoyed it. I'll definitely be back. Granted Latvia were poor and didn't seem bothered, but it was the way we went about our business that impressed me. It's been a while since we kept the ball like that continuously looked up to spot men who were free. Full backs overlapping - well Coleman more so than Ward - and looking to support McClean and McGeady was another positive. McClean showed lots of energy and always looked to take on his man, but his crossing and shot selection needs working on!

Hoolahan needs more game time, he looked a little rusty last night, tried to overplay at times. McCarthy is impressing me more and more. Keeps things ticking over and rarely gives the ball away. Didn't think Keane had a good game but he scored so I won't be too critical. I thought the trio of Long, Walters and Reid did well when introduced, they were busy and all three involved in the third goal. Reid laid on a couple of beautiful passes for Coleman and Walters. Stokes could have done better with the couple of chances he had, poor shot selection.

Was great to see the crowd in good spirits. This was examplified by the continuous Mexican waves towards the end. One would have been enough, six was a bit much!

37,000 was a very good attendance. This appointment has certainly got people who were disillusioned with Trap's reign back interested again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Augmerson wrote: »
    I assume you are trolling?

If you think someone is trolling, report them.

This is the last warning before I'm handing out cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Robbie's hunger and enthusiasm know no bounds, it's incredible how motivated he still is after all these years.

I agree with you but it's a sad state of affairs when we're praising people for staying motivated on millions a year.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I agree with you but it's a sad state of affairs when we're praising people for staying motivated on millions a year.

He's not earning millions playing for Ireland, it's hardly what motivates him when playing for us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

He's not earning millions playing for Ireland, it's hardly what motivates him when playing for us

Yeah, I know what you mean.

It's just my automated response when the commitment of footballers is praised.

Advertisement